Suh to defend his play and his reputation

Posted by ttwentyman on January 30, 2012 – 12:35 pm

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh continues his media assault on Tuesday when he sits down with ESPN’s Hannah Storm on “SportsCenter Special: NFL Face to Face with Hannah Storm” at 9 p.m. on ESPN2.

Suh will take Storm on a tour of the Nebraska weight-room facility that he funded with a $2.6 million gift before the Lions drafted him in 2010.

SportsCenter ran a snippet of the interview on Monday.

“I would never hurt somebody because why would I want somebody to hurt me,” Suh said when asked about players’ accusations that he’s a dirty player and tries to hurt people. “Taking someone’s livelihood away and their opportunity to fend for their family and grow, for someone to say that, it’s kind of outrageous.”

Storm then asked Suh about suggestions that he may need anger management classes.

“It’s funny to me,” Suh said. “Like I said, I don’t have issues. (I’m not) beating up people in bars. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I think people try to make their own opinion and I think it’s a storyline. It’s a great storyline.

“I understood this year that a lot of people seeing me as a dirty player is a good storyline to have and that’s what it is to me. It’s kind of comical to me to keep saying something and really don’t have any substance behind it.”

18 Responses to “Suh to defend his play and his reputation”

1. By Jan Bates on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Suh Great guy and player

2. By Jesse Sherman on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

If Suh really wanted to hurt someone, do you think he would ‘stomp’ and walk away? Hell no. That man has so much fire inside him, if he wanted to do damage to someone, it would take multiple men to pull him off.

3. By jordan on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

exactly bro exactly

4. By BILLO313 on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

tell em Suh. everyone has something to say but not a single person talkin like that knows the man. people just hatin cuz he aint on their team.

5. By Randy on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Suh is the best ever. He is just a big strong guy that loves to play the game the way it should be played. I have his pictures all over, not because he is a mean guy, it is because he is the best ever and they all know it. Nobody likes the Lions because they don’t think they are a good team. This all started with their 0 and 16 lose. Well, they are a team with a great coaching staff. I am Very Proud of the Lions…. Great Season and Go Suuuuuuuuuuuuuh…… Ur the best Tackle ever….
    NO MATER WHAT ANYONE SAYS…. PLEASE DON’T EVER CHANGE!!!! THIS IS N.F.L. FOOTBALL NOT FLAG FOOTBALL, OR IS IT???????????

6. By RetiredK9 on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Bill0303, you’re a scary dude if you really believe that drivel you’re spouting off. Suh is a personal foul just waiting to happen. Yes, he’s a great player, but he plays out of control and you never know what he’s going to do.
    It DOESN’T MATTER if we know the man…we see how he plays, and when you stomp on the arm of a player who is down, that makes you a dirty player, regardless of your talent level.

7. By jeffrow57 on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Suh as a life long lion’s fan we appreciate your ability and your dedication.football isn’t for girls,Bill303.If you didn’t have passion you wouldn’t be the man you are.I’m proud your on our team and understand in the moment stuff happens whoever believes that your a dirty player never seen Oakland Raiders play in the 60’s now there were some dirty players. But because theyare no longer around .The press outside Detroit think’s the only way we win is dirty.We know that frustration in any job happen’s.and Dirty players are everywhere in this league Harrison from Pittsburg is 1,your not a Harrison.God Bless you and our Detroit Lion’s

8. By ejiminee on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

I have to agree with RetiredK9.

Ndamukong Suh is VERY talented. I’m excited to have him on our team.

But he needs to mature as an NFL player. The things he does on the field do NOT reflect what he says to the camera.

I believe that some of the fouls he’s been hit with were unwarranted, but once the referees started seeing (and hearing about) him, they watched more closely. The “Stomp” was just what it looked like. Whether he made contact with that players arm or not is kinda moot. He pressed the helmet into the ground and stomped when he got to his feet. Looks like anger (frustration sometimes shows itself as anger) to me.

I hope he can grow past all of it, but it doesn’t change the fact that it needs to be addressed.

9. By H.D.F. on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Anybody judging Suh should spend some time in the trenches. The war that is occurring on the line has no room for “nice” people, everybody wants to get their blocks or get off the blocks no matter the cost. Every play the referees could call penalties on the line play, but they let the boys play until it gets too heated then they pull the plug and make certain players take a break. Suh is being abused by multiple line men at all times and these monsters are not playing patty cake with Suh they are trying to neutralize him at all costs!

10. By Randy on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

I will admit, Suh should have not of kicked down on his arm. It was on national TV. Do u all think that he was the only one ever to do something like that? If you noticed that, did you see the reason why he did that? He was pushed around and then, the hold to his ankle. That would make anyone disturbed at that time. This is a rough game and they all know it. With the millions they make a year, don’t the players expect something like that? Did he lose anytime when his arm was stomped on? No, He was fine. So what is the big deal!!!! What about the Calvin Johnson catch in end zone? That play was a big stopper for the Lions and no-one says anything about what happened there. Lets face the facts, the Ref’s just don’t want the 0-16 Lions to get on a winning streak and the are doing a great job of it. Lets face it, Cam Newton in the Pro-Bowl game instead of Matthew Stafford? What a big Joke!!!!

11. By Trip on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Suh’s year was marked by frustration and retaliation. He was frustrated at how he was being played and his lack of statistical numbers like his rookie year. He was angry at how he was being played and retaliated a few times. After that, every eagle eye ref was watching his every move and calling anything that looked remotely close to a foul. He showed some growth towards the end of the year after his suspension. He is still young enough to shed the ‘dirty player’ tag. There are a lot of dirty players in the lines in the NFL, he is just the most famous, or infamous.

12. By TDT on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Football is the most aggressive game in business. Suh plays the game the way it’s suppose to be played. Sure he had a tantrum or two, but that happens when you have two players going against you all game. I challenge Suh to up his game a lot more because I’m personally tired of the sissy game that they’re trying to make it. I played football in my day and the aggressive part of it was exhillarating and mentally you know you’re in a fight. That’s how great players became great! Show me one great Defensive lineman that wasn’t overly aggressive when he played and I’ll show you one player who didn’t make the hall of fame and never will! One game and he becomes dirty? I say one game he got mad and retaliated. Suh, Play the game the way you play it. That’s what this team need!!!!!

13. By Kevin Kbakil on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Retired and Eji are a little too harsh on a young man. He’s played 2 years and may be the greatest to ever play the position. 20 years ago he would have a rookie of the year and defensive player of the year. Football should be played his way. You can’t touch the head, not lower than the knees its a bunch of bull to slow down the true athletes of the game. The guy has an engineering degree, he is well mature enough, how bout suspensions in baseball for beaning or suspensions in hockey for fighting. Almost every instance of so called “dirty” play, the victim contourts himself, or ducks his head out of pure terror that Suh is close. Until he hurts someone stop crying. And if he hurts the right someone, we win, its football- NOT pussBALL!

14. By gibbyfan23 on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

it is not flagfootball, when we win the SB, then everybody will be saying that SUH is the anchor of a young LIONS-D, and the greatest throwback player type, he’s not a dirty player or needs ANGER mngmt,until SUH got to the league the fellow from pittsburg was the dirtiest player & needed anger mngmt, the J*%KA&$ who are blog this S#^T needs to qwit bloging, again the LIONS are a handful of players away from being a dominating team, Schwqartz & Mayhew will put the piece’s together to make them a team of destine for awhile, we got B.Layne curse reverced with Matt (shotgun) Stafford, same school,town,and mentality, except Stafford probably doesn’t party like it’s 1949, this year is going to be GREAT,just watch,RB’S Lamichael James or Isiah Pead in the backfield with,Mikel LaShoure and maybe Payton Hillis, and we will have or running game, and another TALL WR, with Megatron,Buerlson,Young(slot’s) resign,AvrilTullock,Carpenter,Stanton(great backup,we won with him) add a ton of Corners & safties with draft & free agency, LET’S GO PLAY SOME FOOTBALL

15. By wendymaddy on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

jealous people can try to make a monster out of suh, but that doesn’t make him one. he’s just one of the best at what he does, and he is a very ambitious man.

16. By Bob on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

No, your not a dirty player. You are a ignorant player. You have no idea what you are doing. You likely don’t know what you are capable of. I could understand why numerous things do not make sense to you. Your logic is waning at best. You need to do some introspection and stop seeing everything as funny. You are not beyond advice. You probably do need anger counseling, but perhaps you need to look up integrity and duty while reviewing your actions and ask yourself what your agenda really is. You are in a business. You should conduct yourself professionally. Stop the run, rush the QB and be quiet. Exercise humility.

17. By fanatics on Feb 10, 2012 | Reply

I hope Suh do better next season. Lions could be the 2012 Giants.

18. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I’m not a big fan of the media tours at all, I don’t want to HEAR what’s right. I want to SEE what’s right. This kid has the potential to be a HOFer one day but he’s got to stop thinking he can just tell us anything, straighten up and fly right. Take heads off, but be legal about it and don’t lie to me and tell me my eyes are deceiving me. Anyway, I love Suh, but that’s my tough love for him speaking.