Titus Young is DSBA Rookie of the Year

Posted by ttwentyman on February 16, 2012 – 2:52 pm

Lions receiver Titus Young received the 2011 Detroit Lions Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association Rookie of the Year Award.

Young had 48 receptions for 607 yards, six touchdowns and a 12.6 yards per catch average.

He came on strong the second half of the season and proved to be a very effective weapon in the passing game. Young will continue to be a bigger part of the offense moving forward and coaches are excited for his potential next season.

“He’s a dangerous match-up for other teams,” Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan told Detroitlions.com of Young. “To me, he might be the biggest match-up (advantage) we can continue to grow with the way people defend Calvin (Johnson).

“When he gets on the outside part of the field, he can get behind the defense, and if you have that opposite a player like Calvin, that’s really when you got something.”

The DSBA has been awarding a Lions rookie of the year since 2002. Previous winners include: Joey Harrington, Boss Bailey, Kevin Jones, Shaun Cody, Ernie Sims, Gerald Alexander, Kevin Smith, Louis Delmas and Ndamukong Suh.

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “Titus Young is DSBA Rookie of the Year”

1. By fillip stamevski on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

He is still young and has a couple things to get better at, but there is no doubt in my mind that if he works with calvin johnson and gets better he will be one of the best.

2. By John Sharp on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

I think 2012 will be even better for Young as teams try to cover Calvin Johnson and the Lions TE’s.

3. By honoblu64 on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

Titus is going to be a huge asset for years to come. Just think of all he did this year with no training camp. Also he came up huse in last season pressure situations

4. By Broccoli on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Burleson, Young and Johnson are going to become the most explosive receiving crew in the NFL.

5. By LionsWizard on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

So your saying the DSBA rookie of the year is not very prestigious….. Cody, harrington… come on …… horrible

6. By Michael Riley on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

I agree, Titus is something special! Now, we have Nate, Calvin, and Titus, a;ong with some special TEs, add to the fact that we have a 6’5″ 205 lb. WR in TT on the Taxi squad who in my mind WILL make the team next year in the 4th slot, add Arian Foster (from Houston) and LeShoure, with Smith and Best as back up, and OMG!!! This team will be a beast offensively, and in the same breath as Green Bay, New Orleans, and New England……Suddenly the Lions are catapulted from the NFL doormat to the NFL elite!!!!! These are very exciting times in Detroit to say the least, when was the last time ANY of us could say the Lions are on the cusp of the Superbowl? Or dare say the “D” word as in dynasty? Yes, exciting times indeed for Detroit……..

7. By Don on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Being How I did not do my homework last year and havent really had as much time this year to do any. I will do my best to change that and know who is comming out in the draft and try to find out who the Lions are enterested in, so that I don’t do like last year and Not know who this great WR Titus Young was. And embarrassed Myself by being surprised that we took him.
    I am trully sorry that I did’nt do enough homework on the draft last year.
    because I should have known who Titus Young was.
    Well anyway’s Noone will ever have to remind me who Titus Young is ever Again. He is the WR that Catches the Ball and takes it into the endzone when Calvin is busy shacking off defenders.(:
    I Love this TEAM!

8. By Don on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Oh and the other WR that takes the ball into the endzone is Nate Burleson.
    And then the TE’s Pettigrew and Scheffler.(:(:(:(:

9. By Rick on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Is Schwartz joking or is he blind what Tulloch did last season! Why do you think a “Last Place Team” cut him for! He has to be one of the worst linebackers in the NFL! Go out and Draft 3 new linebackers or buy them! Then if you think it, put VanDenbosh as middle linebacker and you would have one of the best in the NFL with his speed!!!

10. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!