Barry Sanders looking forward to going back to college in the fall

Posted by ttwentyman on February 28, 2012 – 2:43 pm

Former Lions great Barry Sanders won the Heisman Trophy in 1988 at Oklahoma State before playing 10 Hall of Fame seasons in the NFL with the Lions.

Sanders is heading back to college this fall, but this time it’s as a spectator and fan, watching his son Barry Sanders Jr. as a running back at Stanford.

Sanders Jr. was the top high school recruit in the state of Oklahoma this past year after rushing for 3,825 career yards and 55 touchdowns, including two seasons with more than 1,200 yards and 1,136 in an injury-shortened junior season.

“He’s bigger, faster, stronger and younger than I was,” Sanders told Detroitlions.com Tuesday. “He’s just a phenomenal high school running back. What I see in him is great vision and speed and he cuts very well.”

Who does that sound like?

“But there is a lot of growing for him to do after high school,” Sanders said of his son. “I’m speaking from my own experience but I wasn’t anywhere near where I was going to be as a freshman. There is a lot of maturing and growing to do after high school and he has a lot of room to grow. He has a frame that he can put on a lot of weight and be a phenomenal runner in college.”

Sanders Jr. is 5-11, 190 pounds and chose Stanford over dad’s Alma mater Oklahoma State and Alabama.

“They like running the ball up there, it’s a priority, so I think that was definitely a draw for him,” Sanders said of his son’s choice of school.

“I think my job is to just be there and be supportive and let him know that there are going to be ups and downs and it’s a great next step in life and you have to go there and start over and work your way up.

“You have to go earn your keep. They brought him there because they think he has potential and now he has to prove he’s worthy of being there.”

14 Responses to “Barry Sanders looking forward to going back to college in the fall”

1. By Judy (from Detroit) on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

It’s really cool that Barry’s son has fallowed in his dads foot steps but i was around for some of the crazyness Barry pulled in Detroit…how are we to know his son isn’t going to act the same way with what ever team he has any chance at joining…I personally idolized Barry and I still have his jersey but you don’t dis the people that love you!!! Barry was one of the greatest football players ever but he has created a mess for his son to live down…good luck son…i’m rootin for you!!!

2. By terry armstrong on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

For years we dreamed of Berry Sanders returning to the Lions and somewhere down the line, in each of our time, we came to realize that it was not going to happen. Sometimes we want things to happen in a way that we envision it to happen, but with patience sometimes things happen even bigger and better then we envisioned? Hmm…, 2015 draft the Detroit Lions select Bary Sanders running back from Stanford. How cool would that be?

3. By Eddie Hiller on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Barry Sanders Jr be a Detroit Lion in Three or four years?

4. By Megan Wilson on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully he waits until after he has an education.

5. By Robin on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

I hope he does well put school first. Then the DETROIT LIONS good luck in the future study hard

6. By serge on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

No one is as good as Barry.

7. By jordan on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

just keep your head on start and be humble and you will be just fine. Don’t think you will be good just because how your dad is just be u and Erny it .and be the next big thing in school

8. By HAWK on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

WHY STANFORD?? why dont u listen to your Dad because DADS know best . because your dad IS THE BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER IN HISTORY . dont u think that your dad knows what the best collage to go to . why not Michigan with the best QB in all of collage BARRY SANDERS JR AND DENARD ROBINSON now that sounds like national championship for at least 2 years back to back …DO U WANT THE BIG SHOW BARRY SANDERS JR or just a small football team that sucks like stanford?

9. By carol wadsworth on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

I love the idea of barry sanders being in the lime lite where the lions are consearned, they could use barrys input, i know nohting about barry letting detroit down, but i know one thing barry is not a quitter, he just didnt get the chance he wanted to get with detroit, i dont blame him after 10, yrs and not getting a chance to get to the super bowl , i would quit 2. but im glad to hear about him and his son 2.that boy will go places, if he listens to his dad.why not , being the greatest running back in the N F L . i would want him for my dad 2, if i were a kid going to college.barry JR, has his cake and he can eat it 2.i sure would like to see barry JR perform, they say he is good.and i do hope he can be a part of the lions some time., he knows what he is doing. he could teach that running back detroit has , some moves and some side steping and avoiding people.. he has moves no one else can make no matter how hard they try.he is JUST GOOD at what he does.well i thank you TIM for letting me vent.im a very devoted barry sanders FAN. LOVE THAT MAN-4 SURE.

10. By OneTyme on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

Please oh please Detroit…just do what you can with what you’ve got for now, and when Sanders Jr. comes out of college, do what you have to do to sign him. It would mean so much to the fans of the Lions!

11. By Brandon on Mar 4, 2012 | Reply

I look forward to watching Barry Jr. play. I always loved watching his father, my favorite NFL player ever. :) Barry Sr. did not let down Lions fans. Sure I was disappointed to see him leave, but he said early in his career he only planned to play for 10 years and then retire. He was also on the verge of passing Walter Payton’s rushing record the next season, which he was reluctant to do because of how he looked up to Payton.

12. By Damon on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry fellow Lions fans but after the way the Lions did his father years back don’t be holding your breath on Jr coming here.

13. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

BARRY!! BARRRY!!!! BARRRRY!!!!!

14. By David on Jun 18, 2012 | Reply

I was watching tv the other day and seen on it some people that would be excellent choices for the Lions team. Barry Sanders Jr. was one of the people mentioned plus there are 2 other people that would be perfect for your organization. 1). Dorial Green-Beckham who’s going to be attending Notre Dame, and 2). Ronald Darby I don’t know what college he’s going to but all 3 of them would be perfect for your team because they’re very fast and talented as they come for this years college recruits.