Suh looking to get back to rookie ways next season

Posted by ttwentyman on March 1, 2012 – 4:14 pm

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is the grand marshal for Sunday’s NASCAR Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway.

Suh will give the signal to the drivers to start their engines.

Suh took time Wednesday to chat with the Doug & Wolf Show on KTAR-AM in Arizona.

During the interview, Ron Wolfley, a former Pro Bowl fullback with the Cardinals, asked Suh if he thought he was the best defensive tackle in the NFL.

“I think I have a lot of work ahead of myself to even be considered in that group,” Suh said. “There’s a lot of guys that are actually in the league right now that are quite good. One of them that I definitely consider a top defensive tackle is Haloti Ngata. He’s consistently doing it from year-in and year-out, and I look to kind of follow in those footsteps in being a consistent football player.”

Suh’s statistical production fell considerably from his All Pro rookie season on 2010 when he had 10 sacks and 66 tackles. Suh has four sacks and 36 tackles in 14 games last season.

“There’s a lot of things that I can improve,” he said. “There’s ways from my rookie season to last year and stats-wise and there are other ways from stats to helping my other teammates produce that I can get better at.”

Suh said he was he was in Detroit last week watching film and saw some mistakes that he had last year and said he was looking forward to correcting them heading into this season.

“I might have slipped a little bit in my sophomore season, but I look forward to picking up and getting back on that high horse of being a player and a guy on our particular football team that’s definitely relied on from the fan base, but not only that, my teammates.”

7 Responses to “Suh looking to get back to rookie ways next season”

1. By H.D.F. on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I think with a full off season with the team and he’ll be fine. No off season program did not help anybody.

2. By Roger Jr on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Suh you where outstanding last year.this year with a off season you will be the best (number one man)

3. By mainelion on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

Suh will come to being a great player upon learning that playing tough is okay and helps the team, but getting mad and losing temper results in penalties and hurts the team.

4. By Jake on Mar 4, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully this past season served as a wake-up call to Suh. Based on humble nature of these comments, I think he’s definitely aware of where he has to improve, whether it’s his technique or his approach. Suh is unquestionably one of the most gifted DTs in the league, I’m not sure if all the hype from the fan base and media went to his head or what, but he didn’t appear to have the focus he needed in so many key times last season.

He may never be a 10-sack/yr. player, but he’s a monster who should have a big impact on every game whether it’s eating up double teams or penetrating into the backfield. He disappeared in too many games last season with the amount of talent and strength he has.

5. By Matt on Mar 4, 2012 | Reply

One thing people need to realize about Suh is that he was double and even triple-teamed throughout the year. Yes, his stats went down, but when you become almost the sole focus of opposing offensive lines and get two or three guys blocking you constantly, your stats will go down. The truth is, he’s so unbelievably good that he gets that much attention from offensive lines, which is why we saw Avril’s and Vanden Bosch’s sack numbers go up this year. The amount of attention Suh gets opens it up for the other Lions D-lineman.

The only thing Suh needs serious improvement in is keeping his emotions in check on the field.

6. By matt moran on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

SUH to me is one of the best 10 dt’s in the game to me. He has to control the temper a little more and not use his anger to explode off the line and use different moves to get by double teams. Instead of stomping players, as for him destroying qbs im all about it its football a man sport the nfl needs to lay off about that. i mean the helmet to helmet calls ok reasonable but because he takes delhome and throws him 15 yards back like come on. i think as long as he stays healthy and stops stomping on people he’ll be ok and the lions with his help and with cliff avril they’ll make the play offs again in the 2012 season

7. By matt moran on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

i ment use his anger to explode off the line n not use his anger to stomp people