Backus comments on agreeing to terms on a two-year deal

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on March 17, 2012 – 9:20 pm

Lions Insider Tim Twentyman reported earlier that the Lions have agreed on two-year deals with T Jeff Backus and QB Shaun Hill.

Backus, who has started every game for the Lions since he was drafted in 2001, had this to say:

“It took longer than expected, but we’ve agreed to terms on a new contract that allows us to move forward and continue to work toward our ultimate goal, which is winning championships.

“I’m glad to have this opportunity to finish my career with the Detroit Lions. I’m looking forward to continuing our recent success and making a strong push toward winning a Super Bowl.”

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “Backus comments on agreeing to terms on a two-year deal”

1. By craig casto life long lion fan on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

GOOD FOR YOU JEFF, WE NEED YOU ! GO LIONS!!!!!!

2. By eric on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I want to keep secon guessing this detroit team on the moves they make but they turned this team around in three years and made it to the playoffs last year so untill they keep losing again i will sit back and hope everything works out. I just hope they draft the best DB in the draft and get one or two other top defensive players in free agency.

3. By eric on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I want to keep second guessing this detroit team on the moves they make but they turned this team around in three years and made it to the playoffs last year so untill they keep losing again i will sit back and hope everything works out. I just hope they draft the best DB in the draft and get one or two other top defensive players in free agency.

4. By gerry on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Jeff you deserve to retire a Lion. You have a long rough road and it’s good to see you in the playoff and on a team worthy of your talent.

5. By gerry on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Good to see that your gonna remain a Lion for the remainder of your career. Go Jeff.

6. By John P. on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Why would you keep Shawn Hill when there is a lot better QB out there for a back up on the free agent market. Sometimes I just don’t get this team

7. By THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to you Jeff..As a “go blue” and “go lions” fan I’m pretty sure that I speak for tens of thousands in thanking you for your hard work over the years. You didn’t just bring your “lunch bucket” to work, your carried the whole freaking lunch truck to the game’.

8. By phil on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

we’ve overpaid for FA in the past (Millen era), so why start again. Who’s better than S.Hill? 1st you get a guy who knows the offense, and runs it prettywell when Stafford couldn’t go. 2nd you get more bang for your buck with him. Sign who B.Quinn? That guy hasn’t panned out anywhere!!! Our core guys are young and talented those are the guys we should be paying, and building around them, not some big name FA who hasn’t done anything for us. FWIW as much as we need a DB we need to get younger on the OL. Stafford is the key!

9. By Mike J. on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Good resigns. You know that other teams were going to show interest in Hill as a legit #2, and with Stanton leaving, we needed that solid back up. Backus was a no-brainer. Unless you are willing to go out and sign a high priced guy to anchor the left side for 5-6 years, bring back the guy who has done the job for you, and draft his replacement.

10. By Mike J. on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

To: John P.
    2 things,
    1. It’s Shaun, not Shawn. They have it written near the top of the page.
    2. Really, better back up QBs? Guys that are willing to come in, and know that they won’t start? Where?

11. By john on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

I agree with John P. In fact, I’d take Stanton over Hill any day. It must be a Scot Linehan thing. I do agree with keeping Backus.

12. By Andrea L. Molinari on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Glad to have BOTH Jeff Backus and Shaun Hill back wearing the silver and blue. Both guys are great team players whose unselfish contributions are desperately needed if we are going to win a Superbowl. Thanks for your hard work guys!

13. By jordan on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

backus was horrible the first 4 games then he got a lot better we will see how the draft goes stafford doesn’t get 5,000+ and 41 tds with as bad as everybody thinks backus played congrats bro lets finish your carrer with a ring baby go lions!

14. By mike on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

john p. Who is a better back-up quarterback than Hill ? Tell us which free agent?

15. By shane on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

I don’t understand some of these comments. WHO…WHO..would replace Jeff? I agree with Jordan, Stafford doesn’t get those numbers without Jeff. I think they will surprise people in the draft. Who guessed we would draft Fairly last season? I think he will turn out to be a complete stud and pro bowler in 2 season tops. Shaun Hill is much beter than Stanton, maybe your a sparty’s fan but Hilll is much better and Stanton wanted to go somewhere no less than a #2 option, well to bad they just traded for Tebow. I wanted Prince Amukemara so bad last season I thought he was a missing piece and I am glad I am not the Gm becuase it would have been a huge mistake. We had a top 6 D before we had a WR playing DB. We have 3 guys coming back off injuries and we will be solid THAT WILL BE LIKE A BIG FREE AGENT signing. Mayhew will find great guys to help in the DB department either free agency, draft, or waivers. I HAVE total faith Mayhew and company are excellent scouts and if you watch the townhall meeting it explains everything and why they draft the way they do.

16. By Bull Run on Mar 24, 2012 | Reply

When your the 23rd pick in the first round, it might be tempting to either trade down, for 2nd and 3rd rounders or trade up to get the player you want. Detroit has the core team to win it all, and their young, so you can trade up, and give up some of your future picks, in an effort to win with existing team. LT would be good, or Outside LB, or a safety, but the point is they need to be able to contribute in their rookie year. NO make work projects,No drafting a DE and trying a project to turn them into a LB. The drafted position should be their playing position.

17. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

We needed him back, I’m glad to see it.