Lions sign T Jeff Backus and QB Shaun Hill to two-year deals

Posted by ttwentyman on March 17, 2012 – 7:54 pm

The Lions have agreed to two-year contracts with left tackle Jeff Backus and back-up quarterback Shaun Hill, according to league sources.

The terms of the deals were not known.

Backus is entering his 12th season with the team after being drafted in the first round of the 2001 draft. Backus has started 176 consecutive games for the Lions.

Backus tore his right bicep in the Lions’ playoff loss to the Saints last season, but has begun his rehab work at the Lions’ training facility in Allen Park.

The Lions recently hosted former Chargers left tackle Marcus McNeill, but he left without a contract.

Hill has been the Lions’ back-up quarterback the last two seasons behind Matthew Stafford.

Hill started 10 games in 2010 for the injured Stafford, throwing for 2,686 yards and 16 touchdowns with 12 interceptions. He won three of those games.

Hill recently visited with the St. Louis Rams but left without a contract offer.

We now know why.

The Lions no doubt picked up the pace on Hill after quarterback Drew Stanton left to sign with the Jets.

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Lions sign T Jeff Backus and QB Shaun Hill to two-year deals”

1. By Randy on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I don’t get it?????????????? Why are we still spending money on Backus?? Let him go and get some young blood in there. Stafford is gonna end up on the ground half the season again.

2. By Randy on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Oh, and glad to see Shaun Hill back. That was a good move not letting him go.

3. By mntigers on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

still need a younger starting tackle. Backus should be in the rotation but not as a full-time player

4. By danny on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Well done.

5. By Vretz2121 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

The Hill signing is a good signing, obviously. Not overly excited about the Backus signing. I know despite his struggles in the first half of the year he was solid down the stretch, but he is getting old and I cannot get that series and game against Allen out of my mind. Stafford can not take those shots. I was hoping that they would upgrade both the left and right tackles for Stafford’s sake as well as the run game. Depending on what the Lions signed him for and what they do the rest of the off season this might be a good depth move. The Lions front office must have a plan and I trust the do, so I will sit back and have faith.

6. By craig casto life long lion fan on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

THANK YOU SHAWN HILL YOU ARE A GREAT PIECE OF THE FORMULA A GREAT TEAM NEEDS. AND JEFF IS A PRO BOWL CAL. TACKLE WE NEED BOTH TO BE CONTENDERS THIS YEAR. KEEP UP THE HARD WORK IT WILL PAY OFF THIS YEARS GOING TO THE BEST EVER WITH RBS. BEST, MIKE L. HEATHY WAIT AND SEE , A PLOW AND A JACK RABBIT RUNNING THE BALL LOOK OUT. AND OF COURSE STAFFORD AND CALVIN , YOUNG. GO LIONS!!!!

7. By Backus Sucks on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Y resign Backus? HE SUCKS! Worst left tackle EVER! No one else wanted him. I’d feel better with anyone at LT than him! Hill was a great move, but Backus can’t block & poor Stafford has to suffer for it. Think about how balanced the offense would be with a solid LT, or better yet that & a good center that can block!

8. By tim fisher on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

I think the lions are doing a good job at putting all the pieces together. And I understand the offensive line is getting older. But they did such a great job at protecting Stafford. I understand why you want to bring back Jeff. I wouldnt change to much there. I think the defence compared to years past looks great. I like the idea of you guys resting your big play makers on the line. Nobody realises how hard that job really is. Theres only two things I would like to see as a fan is less penaltys. I love seeing the defence put the fear of god into the other team. And I like seeing the hard hits. Those darn penaltys kill you guys. I understand theres times you have to take a penalty to stop a run or a touchdown. But theres alot of senceless penalties there to. The other thing is just a stronger running game to balance out the offence. You guys really did a good job moving the ball this year with as bad as the the backs were beat up. I cant wait to see the running game this year with everybody healthy. Thats all im going to say. Just keep doing what you got to do.

9. By Lucid on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

Are you kidding me? Hill has stone shoes and can’t hit the broad side of a barn… Kinda like Mitchell, Long… Dunno who’s buddy he is, but he’s somebody’s buddy. They shoulda sent him packing & kept Stanton. At least he had wheels and that is what you need when your O line is questionable at best!

10. By david on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

i agree thank you shaun hill. I know you would love to be a starter and i believe you have all the qaulities to be a sucessful starter in the nfl i dont care what anyone says,but us lions fans appreciate you you are a crucial part of the lions organization and a necessary piece of the puzzle. thank you for your patience and dedication all you do doesnt go unoticed. Great job shaun

11. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Shaun Hill could be a starter somewhere else, he really is showing his loyalty to the Lions and he can see the promise of this you and talented football club. He’s smart to stay and we’re in good shape with him at backup QB.

1. 4 Trackback(s)

2. Mar 17, 2012: Lions sign T Jeff Backus and QB Shaun Hill to two-year deals | Detroit Sports Vibe: Covering the Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings, & more
  3. Mar 17, 2012: Lions ink Backus and Hill to two-year deals
  4. Mar 17, 2012: Detroitlions.com Blog | Backus comments on agreeing to terms on a two-year deal «
  5. Mar 17, 2012: Lions' War Room (Established 2004) - Page 223 - Operation Sports Forums