RB Derrick Coleman and CB Isaiah Frey visit Lions

Posted by ttwentyman on April 16, 2012 – 5:22 pm

Derrick Coleman was three years old when he lost most of his ability to hear. The former UCLA running back was in the seventh grade when he started playing football.

“We found a way for me to play,” he told Detroitlions.com during his pre-draft visit Monday. “We had to make a lot of modifications when I first started with the helmet and having to wear a skull cap (so his hearing aids wouldn’t fall out), but once all that was squared away, I just focused on football.”

Coleman can hear with the use of those hearing aides but also reads lips to help him. He still wears the skull cap under his helmet and over his ears so his hearing aids don’t pop out when he gets hit.

Most people would view Coleman’s hearing limitations as a disadvantage in his pursuit to play in the NFL, but he says it’s an advantage.

Advantage?

Because he’s hard of hearing, Coleman says he has to concentrate more than other players and has to learn the playbook and all the audibles to a point where it’s just second nature to him.

“I don’t have to focus a little more. I have to focus a lot more,” Coleman said. “It’s a huge advantage to me. Almost 80 percent of the time I already know what the quarterback is going to audible to because I have to get with them before because I might not be able to hear the call at the least second. I already know if it’s this play he’s going to change it to either this or this and I have to know why.

“In order to do that, I spend more time with the offensive line and the quarterbacks just to make sure we’re all on the same page.”

Coleman was the winner of the Tommy Prothro Award for Outstanding Special Teams Player the last two years at UCLA and was the team’s second-leading rusher last year with 725 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Coleman is a bigger back (6-0, 230) and knows exactly what he brings to the table.

“I know what type of runner I am,” he said. “I’m a bruiser and I’m going to fall forward every time. All I’m trying to get is four yards and five yards a carry and everything else after that is just a luxury.”

The Lions drafted Mikel Leshoure in the second round last year not only as a dynamic runner, but also as a bigger back who could get the tough yards.

Leshoure is coming off a torn Achilles tendon and the uncertainty surrounding him could prompt the Lions to be in the market for a bigger back like Coleman.

Teams are also looking at Coleman as a fullback and he’s projected as a late-round pick or undrafted free agent in next weeks NFL Draft.

Coleman said he’s also visited the Raiders and Seahawks.

Frey says he has the disposition to be good press corner in NFL

It takes a certain type of cornerback in the NFL to want to play press man coverage.

“You have to have that want to,” Former Nevada cornerback Isaiah Frey said during his pre-draft visit with the Lions Monday.

“It’s just something you have to want to do. A lot of people have the ability to do it but they just don’t want to. It’s all in your mind, basically. I feel like I have a good understanding of press technique.”

A three-year starter at Nevada, Frey led the Western Athletic Conference with 16 pass breakups as a senior last year and also chipped in five interceptions.

Frey has good size at 6-foot, 190 pounds and a ton of playing experience. He said he played a majority of man coverage at Nevada and most analysts view him as a good prospect late in the draft or as an undrafted rookie free agent.

“When you get into camp it doesn’t matter if you were drafted in this round or picked up as a free agent,” he said. “You can either play or you can’t play. I just want to show them that I can play.”

Frey has also visited the Chargers.

8 Responses to “RB Derrick Coleman and CB Isaiah Frey visit Lions”

1. By carol wadsworth on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

SOUNDS LIKE THESE 2 GUYS ARE READY FOR LIONS FOOT BALL.I HOPE THEY PICK THEM UP. THEY SOUND PRETTY HEFTY TO ME I LIKE THE BIG GUYS. THEY IMPRESS ME ALOT.I HOPE IT WOULD WORK FOR THE ONE WITH THE HEARING AIDS.HE SOUNDS OK TO ME.I JUST WANT THE LIONS TO HAVE A WINNING TEAM THIS YEAR SO THEY CANBEAT ALL THE TEAM,S THAT BEAT THEM LAST YEAR.. I WANT THAT SO BAD I CAN TASTE IT, I HOPE EVERYONE FEELS THE SAME AS I DO.
    . THANK YOU TIM FOR POSTING MY COMMENTS. ENOUGH SAID.

2. By fred on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

They both have a positive outlook that a lot of predraft players seem to lack. They RB takes his ‘disadvantage’ and turns it into an advantage because it shows how much harder he has to work and how dedicated he is to the game. The CB is too focused and determined to play to care when he even gets drafted, because whoever picks him up will appreciate his work ethics. Both players show enough ambition and dedication to the game, and that is something I think would be good for the Lions. Definately the better route to go than players that can’t seem to put the marijuana down at least.

3. By Mike Dizz on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Sounds like two stand up guys that are ready to work. That is what we need. I FIGGIN CANNOT WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON TO START. Go Lions!!!!!

4. By Joe on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

In regards to Coleman…I too wear hearing aids. I am 35 now and have worn them since I was 5. That being said, I know exactly what Coleman means. I have played almost every sport growing up…football, baseball, basketball. Those with hearing conditions DO have to work harder and press harder to succeed. I remember playing an “All Deaf” school one year in basketball. We were really good and undefeated until we played them…and they SMOKED us by like 30 points. Because they had to overcome and obstacle they worked that much harder. I say that to bring out the fact that I think Coleman would a) be a GREAT positive influence on this team and b) would work his butt off (like I did in my professional life) to prove he can be AS GOOD or BETTER than most. I know the type of mentality he has…Doctor told my parents I may depend on them the rest of my life, that I may never move out, go to college or be able to be on my own. I graduated HS with a 3.2 average, got a 2 year degree at a community college, then MOVED AWAY to WVU to get my Bachelors, moved from Virginia to Michigan with no family to work and been here in MI since 1998, employed and moving up ever since. Married with 2 kids, nice new home, and now going for my Masters in Finance.

So I can relate to him…and if he is anything like myself or others like us that I have met who are determined to NOT fall into self pity because of our situation, I can tell you this: He WILL work his butt off to do everything he can to succeed. If he is there in the 5th or 6th round, I say get him! I know that now I know his story, I will follow this guy wherever he goes.

5. By mimi31 on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Coleman is the type of player you love to see make it at the next level,to be hearing impaired and able to accomplish what he has so far any team would benefit drafting this kid

6. By russbell on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

here here carol i will second that what comes around goes around
    look out green bay and not at all saints rember last year hope you two
    teams get your up and comins this year who says revenge aint sweet
    go lions ps they enjoyed embearing us last year here let bring in the back up
    qb and kick their butts hee hee well maybee this year you guys wont be so lucky

7. By LA Lite on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

6′ corner sounds great. big running back sounds great. Best unfornately hasn’t panned out into an even good run game with the exception of a couple of good games during his tenure at detroit. small center makes it difficult for those inside run lanes. tackles will be fine for another year. big backs make sense with what we have even if they only average 4 ypc. We have seen our O-cordinator work with almost no run game so far. imagine with healthy big backs to damage opposing defenses with. Find a Jerome Bettis type and this offense looks better no doubt. LMAO if predictions are correct and these two land in Detroit as well as Twentyman’s mock first rounder we are in for another good draft yet again. Name me a tackle in the NFL that blocks pro bowl like when the team passes 75% of the time? Get off Backus peeps. Draft a center that can run block and we do fine. The guy out of Wisconsin would be a nice steal if he is available. I would prefer an all DEFENSIVE draft but sneak in a center and big back and i’m not complaining at all.

8. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

The Lions have been looking at some big corners lately, I love it. With Wide Receivers being so big and fast now-a-days, you have to get some size in that secondary to be able to compete.