Lions bolster OL with Iowa T Riley Reiff with No. 23 pick

Posted by ttwentyman on April 26, 2012 – 11:02 pm

The Lions have bolstered their offensive line by taking Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff.

Reiff becomes the first tackle the Lions have taken in the first round since Gosder Cherilus (No. 17 overall) in 2008.

“He’s one of the two guys we felt really comfortable with at left tackle,” said Lions general manager Martin Mayhew.

Reiff started 37-of-39 games at Iowa – 29 at left offensive tackle, seven at left guard and one at right tackle. Reiff recorded 38 touchdown-resulting blocks and 264 knock-downs.

Reiff can come in right away and compete for either tackle spot and looks to be the eventual replacement for Lions starting left tackle Jeff Backus, who is on the tail-end of the career.

6 Responses to “Lions bolster OL with Iowa T Riley Reiff with No. 23 pick”

1. By Tom Drury on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

You rocked the Draft Tim excellent job!!! That said I feel like Riley is not a good pick it is a GREAT pick!!! OMG!!! I totally had him going to the Chiefs or around there. I predict he will beat of Jeff Backus play LT for Lions for years to come. This is not a bad deal for Jeff either the move I’m sure will extend his playing career. Kick him inside play Right Guard instant upgrade over Peterman can help Gosder keep his head in the game.

2. By mmajosh on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I absolutely love this pick. Finding Backus replacement and finding a starting CB are two HUGE needs, so I’m thrilled by this pick. Now’s hoping for a solid CB because we are set at DE for this year and we can grab one in next years draft.

3. By Jarrid on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I hate taking an O-lineman in the first round, but we had to do…especially with the talnet level that fell all the way down to 23. Now trade our 4th or 5th round pick for Jenkins from the Cowboys so we have a proven starter that doesn’t need to be given time to play at a high level. draft Lamichael James in the second round, and another corner in the 3rd that can sit back a year and learn the ropes without being thrown to the wolves.

4. By Don on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I knew it! I knew it ! I knew it! I knew we would get a Great Player at 23!
    Riley Reiff is Going to be A Very solid Player for our TEAM for the Next 10 to 15 Years. He is a lot like Backus in the Fact that he is a very durable player.
    and from what I saw of his footwork this guy is going to be there when it counts!
    He is Athletic and can move. He will protect open holes and Make lanes downfield. And I don’t know if he goes in right away or, where he goes in, But, this guy will know the play’s or Most of them by the time the season start’s! Great Pick Mayhew and Schwartz!
    GO LIONS!

5. By Barry on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

you have got to be joking!!!! The Lions need DB’S before a guy like Reiff!!!! very disappointed in this selection. WHAT ARE THE LIONS THINKING? Wasn’t there a better choice than Reiff?

6. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Great pick! tHe O-line was getting old, still is….