Grandfather holds on to see Riley drafted to Lions

Posted by ttwentyman on April 27, 2012 – 3:15 pm

Great little side story about Riley Reiff and his grandfather Lloyd Reiff from last night.

Lloyd is 92 years old and is suffering from cancer. He’s in a wheelchair, is on oxygen and doesn’t have long to live, according to Tom Reiff, Riley’s father.

“His goal was just to make it (to see the draft) because he’s kind of day-by-day,” Tom Reiff said.

Lloyd was able to see Riley drafted last night and that’s part of the reason Riley wanted to stay behind in South Dakota instead of joining other draft prospects in New York.

When Riley’s name was announced, he and Lloyd were able to share a very special handshake that Riley says he’ll remember for the rest of his life.

12 Responses to “Grandfather holds on to see Riley drafted to Lions”

1. By Oldcat on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

“little side story”? Seems like pretty big deal to me. A 92 year old man in his final days trying to hold on to see his grandson reach his dream of making it into the NFL. That’s powerful stuff. No doubt Reiff WILL remember that moment the rest of his days.

2. By Suhnation on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

This a Great pick for the Lions!. We needed a OT to guard and protect Staffords blind Side!.. THANK YOU! LIONS!… Smart Move!.. Now we still need a few CB from Free agency or off waivers with Experience!..Not the 2011 Rookie Class!.. All of them are lousy! Maybe get a S and convert him into a CB!..Or get a Third stringer QB from Boise State!.. Thank You!..

3. By WordMan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Where’s all the national coverage on a heart warming story like this??? Not enough hype I guess. All the respect in the world to you Riley!!!

4. By Chaz on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Oldcat! what a story!!!!!

5. By suhnum1fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Awesome stuff man!!! Leos continue to build the trenches

6. By Adam on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Awesome

7. By Rocky Bass on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Great pick all the way around! I read all the hype about DB’s CB’s & RB’s and I’m thinking lots of good OT’s there & Mr. Bacus is at a great point in his carreer to teach & turn over the reins of being the heart of the O-line.
    I love watching the kid in the press confrence. Great kid, humble, honest & just ready to show up & work. I’m impressed & greatful the coaches & staff keep to their guns “Take the best player available”. This kid is a home grown farm boy, LOVE IT!

Great job Lions Staff!
    Rocky

8. By Doug on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Great pick. I’m glad Mayhew learned from his mistakes from last year and didn’t touch Janoris Jenkins. If the lions build the Oline like the dline we’ll be unstoppable!

9. By skee town on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

WHAT mistake ? I wish we got Jenkins. This is a real mans game. You need PLAYERS not choir boys. LOVE how we draft best player on the board that takes some (foot)balls.

10. By lion4lf on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I have all the faith in the world in Mayhew and staff. We are contenders! When fans start talking about bad picks, remember what you do for a living. As for me I know im not qualified for Mayhews job, thats why I trust him! Just look back too the Milan days, WE ARE CONTENDERS!!!!

11. By Detroit Lions #1 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

That is an amazing story, I was wondering why he stayed home and this explains it perfectly. I’m glad his PA PA could hang on :)

12. By detroit28 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

This is a tremendous story and puts real meaning in “day to day.” Nice post Tim