Lions select New Mexico State CB Jonte Green in sixth round

Posted by ttwentyman on April 28, 2012 – 5:08 pm

The Lions have added a third cornerback to their defense this draft with the selection of New Mexico State corner Jonte Green in the sixth round (196 overall) of the NFL Draft.

The Lions picked Bill Bentley (Louisiana Lafayette) in the third round and Chris Greenwood (Albion) in the fifth round.

Green (6-0, 186) is a physical corner, who recorded 64 tackles and defended 14 passes (one interception) in 12 games last season for New Mexico State.

The Lions brought him in as one of their 30 pre-draft visits and were hoping they could get him in the middle to later rounds of the draft.

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Lions select New Mexico State CB Jonte Green in sixth round”

1. By lionnuts on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE IT! BEEF UP THE DEFENSE!

2. By rockbo1955 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

another good pick! very good draft all the way around!

3. By Nate on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Nice to see they went all d today. Hopefully at least one wiil make an impact.

4. By dtlfan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

You pick the best talent avilable when you have no pressing needs. The lions needed to pick the best talent available on defense with their top picks and failed to do this. Their defensive picks are all second tier in my opinion. Not happy with this draft. Could have been better.

5. By bamfu on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

blah blah blah blah. all u whiners pissing and moaning about the draft selections don’t deserve to be lions fans. pathetic.

6. By NCLionsfan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Wait and see how these players perform before judging. Did you not see espn put up the stats on players who where drafted in later rounds that made a huge impact for their teams?

7. By dcleve126 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I think some players peak at different levels and maintain that performance and then some never reach it again I think that these coaches and Lions management once was in a shambles, so far this group has brought a good quality of players to lions football. With that said I will trust and wait and see the product on the field on game day. If those in contact with management I stress again its time to expand and adjust playbook on offense so that we are not predictable. Element of surprise and power is I how the Lions are going. Wish we had a weapon Like Bo Jackson, and Barry is still Just a dream what if we had Barry on this team. OMG

8. By MEDEVACDIC on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

go lions

9. By john on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

hey bamfu, why can’t a Lions fan issue a complaint if he’s disappointed with the draft? (I personally wasn’t, but in the Millen years I usually was, though I never stopped being a true Lions fan.)

10. By jteeinthehills on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

the mayhew / schwartz era is still very none impressive to me.
    2009 stafford =no brainer, 2010 suh=no brainer, 2011 fairley here they couldve
    taken an elite cb, and we could be holding a lombardi. this year in the 23 spot they didnt really have a choice when riley falls into their lap = no brainer.
    take away the no brainers and their drafts are amost all predictable and at some points couldve been done by any ordinary football fan. not impressed.

11. By skee town on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Can’t grade draft for at least 2yrs big dummy

12. By Don on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I believe that The Lions just Brought into our Great city alot of great Production from all of these players.
    Yes there are some that because of the fact that they may have come from a small school we can’t look up some of thier Stats.
    But the ones that we can Look up, Have the Production! ( Good Stats)
    I don’t know what anyone thinks we did’nt Get?
    We Picked up a VERY solid OT, LBers That to be totally honest are some REAL BEASTS!
    And Corners That Have produced for thier Team’s and some of them since they played in H.S. and still doing it.
    I havent got to see Tape on the Kid from Albion yet But, He has all The Athletic ability to do what we need him to do.
    And I love the Fact that he is One of OUR OWN! Michigan Kid, Heck Detroit Kid!
    The Rajon Cajon Made big play’s.
    And the dude from New Mexico State Has been a Productive Corner every year that he has been on the field. I read up on him 2 yrs. ago. And he sounded like someone that I thought we should take a look into then.
    Just Because they arent Alabama’s Cornerbacks or linebackers Does’nt mean these guy’s don’t know how to play. And from what Little I have seen so far, and true I am still checking up on thier Past,(Whatever film I can find,Not personal lives, that is up to the coach’s and GM) but, they Appear to be players who WANT to WIN! Player’s Who Love the Game of Football. And that is a lot.
    GO LIONS!

13. By redwingliger on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Don, LMAO! Keep doing your “reading up” on this draft class, but lock yourself in a padded room first, because you’ll be less able to hurt yourself. The dude (Jonte Green) from New Mexico State that you are so high on, well this is what his coach had to say about him on 9-24-2010;

“NMSU head coach DeWayne Walker said. “He could be a guy that we may need to get some other guys an opportunity to play.” Last week against UTEP, Green was called for a pass interference on a 3rd-and-25, was beat for touchdown passes of seven and 68 yards and was steamrolled on an open-field tackle attempt in the third quarter.”

Get real DUDE the info is out there IF you really look, although Ronnell Lewis’s injury history is getting harder and harder to find, so I’ll help you out… ACL, Chronic reoccurring back injury, neck (plus rumored concussion) injury, which could help to explain why “Needed Combine drills explained in extra detail” and why they also said “Marginal intelligence. Personal character and durability needs to be investigated.”

14. By redwingliger on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

The ACL was minor knee surgery that caused him to miss two games (my mistake) and I try to be 100% accurate with my info so I’m clearing it up.

15. By darren on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

lets se what this guy can do, play smart and dont get burrnt, do go for all of them head fakes, watch his hips

16. By Brian McNair on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Special Teams impact with this draft. Potential gunners, and the possibility of all three DBs being future starters. The WR, STs, hands. The LBs, special team studs and then theres the HAMMER, DE/LB. With the OT, that is 6 potential starters for the O line. Outstanding draft for the Lions in my book. We have added depth to our team and built strength to our special teams.

17. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

I love his height, the Lions brought in some pretty tall corners this year. I like it with the amazing size of NFL WRs these days.