NFL.com report: Kellen Moore looking to sign with Lions

Posted by ttwentyman on April 28, 2012 – 9:52 pm

The wheeling and dealing doesn’t end when Mr. Irrelevant is announced.

After the draft is over, all 32 teams hit the phones and start vying for undrafted rookie free agents.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, one of those players set to sign with the Lions is Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore.

Moore finished a terrific college career as the winningest quarterback in NCAA history (50-3). He was very productive at Boise State (14,667 yards and 142 touchdowns), but stands only 6-foot-tall with an average arm.

The Lions need a third-string quarterback after Drew Stanton left in free agency. It seems Moore would have a great opportunity at making the Lions’ roster. Lions backup quarterback Shaun Hill has two years remaining on his contract and his future with the team is uncertain after that.

“There’s a lot of different layers to it,” Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said about the undrafted rookie free agent signing period. “You have signing bonuses and some guys you’re competing on money, some guys you’re not competing on money; sometimes you think you got a guy and then you find out 15 minutes later somebody beat you on an offer and things like that.

“It’s a lot like we talked about: having deals to move up in the draft and deals to move back and some of them come to fruition and some of them don’t. It’s all hands on deck; everybody’s going to be working hard to try to get guys under contract and not just get guys under contract, but get guys that have a chance to make our team.”

42 Responses to “NFL.com report: Kellen Moore looking to sign with Lions”

1. By TarkN10 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

You guys will LOVE Kellen Moore — especially when you need him!

2. By Mike on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

WOOT.. I wonder if Titus Young gave ols Schwartz a tap on the shoulder after the draft and said eyyy give my boy Kellen a call

3. By Mike on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I think even having Hill as 2nd string (for now) Kellen could and prolly will beat him out for second string.. BTW Titus when the curse hits Johnson .. step it up for him please……

4. By Klem on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

As a BSU fan (and Packer fan – don’t hate) I think the Lions will be very happy with signing Kellen Moore as a free agent…had the pleasure of watching this kid be nothing short of incredible for the last 4 years. He is a winner plain and simple.

5. By Tango on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

please…….Matt Daniels S Duke, Michael Brewster C Ohio, Robert Golden S Arizona, Antoine McClain OG Clemson

6. By Dale Shepherd on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The Lions made a great choice in signing Kellen Moore. He will show that all the other NFL “experts” were wrong in not drafting him. What he lacks in size and physical abilities will be overcome by his intelligence. He is winner.

7. By Jennifer Shrum on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

It’s awesome that your organization signed Kellen Moore. I’m a huge Seahawks fan, from the Seattle area. But I’m hoping that Moore will have a jersey soon, so that I can show Detroit, some loving! :)

8. By Bob on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Kellen Moore will be a great addition to the Brown’s. Kellen will be a pleasent suprise to the Brown coaching staff and fans alike.

9. By Tango on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Great Job front Office..you shut me the heck up….good UDFA!!!! very please

10. By vern huxley on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Hey………………..Why not??? Titus and Moore did have alittle chemistry b4

11. By Alex DeLaPena on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

The Detroit Lions picked up the best quarterback from 2012 line up. Kellen Moore is a winner!!! The Lions got someone very special and will not regret their choice. Congratulations to Kellen Moore and to record breaking NFL career!!!

Alex DeLaPena
    Kennewick, WA

12. By eddie Hiller on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Kellen More will be a good Developemental quarterback and he will be ready to move to second string when Shaun Hill Retires

13. By Don on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I Like this with bringing in this QB Kellan Moore.
    I just can’t believe this League Sometimes? I mean you have a Kid who know’a how to win, get’s the job done, and because he does’nt have a Good Senior Bowl and maybe his Pro Day did’nt go as planned, and then noone want’s to draft you?
    I love what Men do on the field when it comes time to help thier Team win.
    I believe keelan knows how to do that. And when you are being poked and prodded it is a lot differant than when your playing for your Team and your not sucha specimen.
    I hope you come to the “D” Kellan.
    And I Love our Draft Picks! The compitition is going to be fun!
    GO LIONS!

14. By christopher on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

hopefully , that kellen moore will have great as learning from theirs own quarterbacks like matt stafford , shaun hill . that he might good credits as back up quarterback . that he might know how to be as winner . GO LIONS !

15. By Al Ramirez on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Kellen Moore is going to be a great NFL quarterback and if given the opportunity to get some reps in, I am confident he will demonstrate why he has achieved being the most all time winning college quarterback. I never missed a game he played in at BSU and I will continue to watch his career in the NFL, I hope I get to see him play again, because he is a very accurate and exciting quarter back to watch. The best measure of a man isnt taken when things are going his way, but when he responds to adversity. Go Kellen!

16. By JLF on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Moore brings brains to the game. Not just really good brains but maybe the best in all of college football – EVER! Jon Gruden said Moore is ready today to take the Offensive Coordinator job for a lot of teams. His ability to size up the Defense quickly and make split second decisions and then accurately throw the ball is nothing short of astounding.

No defensive player will be able to anticipate the ball by following Moore’s eyes. He is practiced at decpetion and does it well. TCU’s coach Patterson and others have said repeatredly they never were able to confuse Moore no matter what they tried. Moore’s game against Georgia last year was nothing less than stellar for that very reason. If Moore ever gets the chance to play, Lion fans will be damned glad he plays for them not against them.

If field smarts is your kind of game then you have a master at it in Kellen Moore.

17. By MK Moore on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Lions! Kellen Moore will be an asset to the organization. He is talented, a hard worker, and will do what it takes to be a success. I will now
    be cheering for the Lions. I may even get a Kellen Moore T-Shirt……..No relation
    just the same last name.

18. By Broncotommy on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

You guys are going to love Kellen Moore if he ever gets a chance to show what he can do. Phenomenal guy, good character, works hard and is a football genius. Not a chance of buyer’s remorse. This guy is a winner, period ! Ice water in his blood. absolutely no nerves at all. unbelievable under pressure. Uses the pocket like an invisible wall. He has big game experience and is tireless in the community. If he was 2 inches taller he would have gone in the first round. 2 inches mind you. Take good care of him, sure wish we could have kept him forever !

19. By mobetta on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Kellen Moore, the most prolific passer in college football history went undrafted and Detroit is smart enough to draft one of the smartest most accurate QB’s to ever come out of college. Can you say Drew Brees? Seriously, his lack of athletic skills he more than compensates with a great knowledge of the game and is 3 steps ahead of every play. Why do you think he hardly got sacked even against Georgia last year, one of the best defenses in the country? He anticipates better than every QB in the draft and he is a steal. Way to go Detroit, you stole this one.

20. By mobetta on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

50 wins and 3 loses for his career! 142 TD’s and only 28 interceptions. Sacked only 31 times over a 4 year career, completion rate of over 70% for his career and 75% last year! These are numbers that can not be ignored. He keeps knocking down the door of doubters every time and he will this time too! Plus he’s a great kid that is a great person with character and integrity! Tough to find all of this together in one package. Forget he can run a 4.3 like Griffin but Kellen has proven for four years where Griffin did it one year!

21. By Chris on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Seems like a lot of teams just don’t believe the value of Kellen Moore. Either that or offensive coordinators are down-grading him because he’s already got it between the ears. Putting Moore on any NFL roster will add another offensive-minded coach automatically. He sees the whole field, and is always a step or two ahead of the defenses.

22. By Charles on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Kellen Moore will be a huge asset to this lions team, not only from his Drew style talent on the field- but from the side line also, this kid could be the offensive coordinator as well. Go Kellen, I have not historically been a lions fan but I watched a lot Titus Young last year, and Kellens addition makes me want to catch every game, just in case Mr. Moore steps onto the field……. Go Kellen — Go Lions……

23. By Nubian on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Jim Schwartz, smart move picking kellen Moore. He can hit Titus Young in his sleep. Will be buying his jersey as soon as it’s available. Can’t wait to see this team in action. Nice draft picks! GO LIONS!!!

24. By Gene on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

The Loins are getting a real bargain in Kellen Moore. I have closely followed this outstanding quarterback for his career at Boise State, and he has all the skill set a QB needs to help his team win. You won’t be disappointed Detroit,

25. By BiLL Brown on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I was ready to throw-up when the draft was over and Moore wasn’t taken, Jeeez, just ask Oregon, oregon state, TCU, Virgina Tech, and Georgia what they think, then Titus Young who caught lots of his passes, if you protect him in the pocket he will pick them apart— Go Kellen. Boise State should have played Stanford in the Bowl game, that would have been interesting .

26. By fred on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Honestly i was very surprised an incredible QB like Moore “the winningest QB” went UNDRAFTED. But on the same note, I’m happy to have him as a Lion. I can see him being second string at the end of preseason. Restore the roar, Detroit. I am feeling very good about this season

27. By Mike on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

The reason he went undrafted is because he isn’t an NFL QB. No doubt he was good in college with a bunch of > 6 foot linemen in front of him but it’s different in the nfl

28. By Jim on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

The Lions are very lucky to have Kellan Moore. The kid lost 3-games by a total of 8 points in his career. Throw the physical piece out the window, his football IQ is at least what Luck’s is and far ahead of any other QB drafted.

29. By zed on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Well I now have a new favorite NFL team. Love watching Kellen and Titus. It will be great to see them back together. I think eventually Kellen will be a great backup. He has an amazing football IQ. Go Detroit.

30. By kirk on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Congrats Kellen !!! I’m now a Lions Fan !!! Go Lions !!! gotta go get my #11 detroit Lions pro cap !!! cant wait for pre season,,, good luck and we’re all supporting you guys,, Bronco Nation !!!!

31. By Jerry on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

There will be a day that Kellen Moore will be talked about as a great undrafted NFL player. We all know that Stafford has had his problems with injuries in the past… and hopefully that’s where they stay. However, Moore is an upgrade from Stanton and will learn as he develops. I LOVE this signing.

32. By Tyson on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Reuniting Kellen with Titus, what a great move!!! I couldn’t believe the most winningest QB in history, Heisman nominated, a full record that stands on it’s own looking forward to watching the coming seasons to see how the Lions do.

33. By MESTAL on May 1, 2012 | Reply

We need also a really really good center…
    Time goes by, unstoppable.

34. By BiLL Brown on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I hope that whenever the Lions play the Seahawks Kellon has the chance to play and pick them apart, his home state snubbed him for collage and then in the draft, like he told Jon in Grudins Camp, you just smile at the nae- sayers and rremember there names, Go Go Kellen and show your coach some of Boise’s plays, haha !

35. By BiLL Brown on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey , Mike, evidently you don’t know how tall BSU’s offensive line was, Georga’s defense was supposed to take Kellen out of the game, he came in with a hurry up offense and cut them up like shavings, god I love his smarts.I’m changeing teams also, was a Redskin, now I love the Lions and their Coach for sighning Moore !

36. By JLF on May 1, 2012 | Reply

After reading more about the Lions and the remarkable turn around the team has made, I think you Lions faithful will see a style of football you have not seen in a long time. His style is different and fans who demand smash mouth football will be disappointed – until you see how Moore manages the game.

I guess we Boise State fans have been spoiled by him. I think Lions folks will be too. You guys haven’t seen him much but he is impressive in what he does. He doesn’t play RGIII type football. But what he does do is smart. He out thinks the defense. It is almost like he has inside information on what they will do. He kind of knows what they have in mind before they do. It is uncanny. This kid is fun to watch. In forty years of watching college football at all levels I have never seen anything like what he does.

37. By New Lions Fan - Kellen on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Although I am a 54 year old women, I know football and have been watching my whole life. What comes to mind for me is that Kellen has been playing against NFL players for four years. There were plenty of opposing players that Kellen played against that went to the NFL and he still won and he was still 6′ all along.

17 or 18 year old playing against seniors when he was just a freshman. Don’t let that baby face fool you.

He just has that winiing thing going on.

Way to go Lions!

38. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Kellen has a weak arm but he’s a winner, I’m glad to have him on the team!

39. By TarkN10 on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Other than backups, most of Kellen’s OL ranged from 6’3″ to 6’6″ with the exception of the 5’11″ center. He has faced & vanquished plenty of blazing fast speed rushers and huge man-eaters. He set such a fast pace against the Georgia Bulldogs that their 6’6″ 350 lb. superstar DT had to quickly beg to come off the field. His replacement was even bigger. Neither one was able to sniff Kellen Moore. He faced 6 BCS teams and defeated them all!!!

How many of you think all those victories were because of all the superior BSU talent that supposedly overcame the no-talent little kid from Prosser, WA?

Go Lions! Go Kellen!

40. By Ken on Jun 3, 2012 | Reply

With Kellen at the Helm, within 3 years the Lions will be playing in the Superbowl. Kellen is that good.

41. By BiLL Brown on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

I agree Ken, but I haven’t seen anything posted on the Lions home page about how hes doing. All they talk about is the guys that are in trouble with the law. I want to know the details good or bad about Kellen, I’m hungry for info MR Twenty-man !

42. By TarkN10 on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

I’m a huge Kellen Moore fan, but I won’t predict that Kellen will lead the Lions to the Superbowl in 3 yrs. There are far too many other factors.
    But if the Lions are ready to compete in the playoffs THIS year or in future years and their QBs became hurt — I GUARANTEE that Kellen Moore playing QB would NOT be the main reason keeping them from the World Championship! He will be ready THIS year IF needed.

My loyalty is with the Lions which is why I am so thrilled that Kellen Moore is a Detroit Lion. With the right system and the right supporting cast, Kellen Moore will amaze everyone — even the SEC doubters & haters!

Stay tuned folks. Go Lions!