Johnson on his tour through New York: Madden cover, Letterman and the NFL Draft

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on April 30, 2012 – 1:56 pm

View more photos of Johnson's week in New York

“New York was crazy. The whole scene in Time Square – that was pretty amazing. They shut down one side of the street. They had the stage. The fans were deep – thousands of fans around there, they were making a lot of noise. It was a lot of fun. Once they made the pick I had to go change into my uniform, come back down to the stage that had turf on it and I did the actual cover photo shoot right there.

“I don’t know if they’re going to actually use one of those pictures – I hope not because I had my visor off.  We get to go through and pick which one we want, so I’ll make sure that I have my visor on. I have to have it on – it just doesn’t look right if I don’t.

“Once I did that, from that point on: busy, busy, busy. I had to do an appearance and then I only went out for about an hour because I started Wednesday at nine o clock – interview, interview, autograph signing, interview, interview, another autograph signing. Letterman, draft and then went out one more time.

Letterman was very cool. It was a lot of fun – a lot more fun than I thought. My Top 10 was advice for young athletes. Some things they had to take out last minute, so they revised the list right before, so I was nervous because I didn’t get to read over all of them before reading it live. I knew about half of them – like the first five I was good. The Kardashian one was funny.

“The other funny thing is: they told me to bring three suits – I had the suit on for Letterman and then I had to go to the draft. I was going to wear the same suit. But Letterman didn’t air until the next day, so they didn’t want me to have on the same suit for the draft on Thursday and then Letterman on Friday, so I had to change before going to the draft.

“Being at the draft was awesome. One, getting to go back to watch all the kids experience what I went through because I knew what I was. That was cool to see them go through that with their families. A lot of joyous moments there. I got to meet a bunch of the former players like Terrell Davis, chatted with Barry a couple times. I never really did that – sit down and talk to Barry. Chatted with him a couple times – it was great.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Johnson on his tour through New York: Madden cover, Letterman and the NFL Draft”

1. By hauntedspawn on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Enjoy the good life Calvin. I hope you continue to light up the endzones for years to come. You are my favorite player, right behind Barry Sanders. I had the chance to meet Barry last year, and he is a very down to earth guy. I think you two are a lot alike in your “close to earth” approach to life and your careers. Best of luck and enjoy this offseason.

2. By Marc Kaufman on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations, Calvin! You make Detroit proud!

3. By JoeHall on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Calvin is truly a blessed, thankful and amazing guy.

4. By dcleve126 on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I am pleased and very satisfied for megatron, but what i heard was i have beebn so busy this off season i have not been training and able to eat properly. HEY CALVIN lets not get carry away you really have not won a damn thing until you have a super bowl ring, GET BACK TO TRAINING THEN THE CIRCUT TOUR WILL BE EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED

5. By bmosborn on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Relax dcleve, Calvin is one of the most professional guys on the planet. He will be fine! He is humble and probably the hardest worker on the team, lay off. He will take nothing for granted and continue to work hard regardless of how big his star shines, that is just the way the dude is wired.

6. By Jacob on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

@dcleve126… you sound like a jerk. He’s a professional and does NOT work for you… Congrats Megatron; please break the curse.

7. By Don on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Dude, dcleve or whatever
    Lighten up on our Man Calvin( megatron) Johnson!
    Hey Calvin enjoy! I expect this to only be the beggining of your tour’s Man.
    I mean after we win the Superbowl and all. Heck they might want you on the cover again man. sounds like a ton of fun.
    GO Calvin! GO LIONS!

8. By dsmith on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

calvin
    i just want to say i am happy for all your success as a lion i admire your work ethic and your humility amidst all the limelights you step into congrats to your parents in raising you to excel in your dreams press on i hope for the best for all the lions on and off the field representing the roar in south bend dsmith

9. By Jokeray on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

this all happened over a weekend. give it a rest with the “he’s too busy” to work out BS.. i’m sure megatron will be just fine this season.

10. By bamfu on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

hey dcleve – do yourself a favor and shut up. he doesn’t need u or anyone else trying to tell him what to do to get ready -_-

11. By fred on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

LOL….who the heck are you to say that the same guy who LED THE NFL in Receptions and Receiving TD’s didnt “win” anything? I’m sorry, but Megatron pulled more than his weight last season and clearly has earned the right to be on the madden cover. Such an ignorant comment from someone ‘pleased and very satisfied’ for making the cover.

12. By Matt on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

It is such a blessing to Calvin with the Lions; Such a humble man…an inspiration to all. Thanks for all that you do.

13. By Goodz on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I couldn’t be happier for Calvin. He is an upstanding young man with a good head on his shoulders and a humble attitude. I wish more player in the NFL, and more people in the world, had his sense of respect and manners. I wish him nothing but the best and he makes me proud to be a Lions fan. He is a class act just like Barry Sanders. Now get the rest of the team to behave like him and we will have a ring in no time.

14. By AzLionfan on May 1, 2012 | Reply

What an addition Calvin has been for the Lions. I just know that we are going to see more fireworks this season. The way I see it is, over the last few years we have been 0-16, 6-10, 10-6 and now all that is left is 16-0. This team is no longer the same old Lions. Thanks to the efforts of Calvin Johnson, Mathew Stafford and the rest of the Lions. Thank you and congradulations Calvin.

15. By eric on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Good things happen 2 good people..A toast 2 the best wideout ever…!

16. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Megatron will go down as the greatest WR of All-Time! Can’t wait for the season!

17. By Dus tee on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Yes, megatron will go down in history as the best wideout ever! Nobody catches balls like he does, nobody! Stay humble my friend. GO LIONS!

18. By Bob on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Megatron is not the best wideout ever. He is not even better than Herman Moore was as of right now. He is definitely nowheres near Jerry Rice. CJ is great but he still has a ways to go before he can start claiming something big. Pound for pound Steve Smith is the best wideout in the league.

19. By Ubzurd on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

ALL HAIL MEGATRON. I was reading a recent list of the top receivers in the NFL. Some dummy had Megatron 3rd. Another had him 9th. I think they both should be drug tested. Mega is the best receiver in the NFL. Even if i was’nt a Lions fan, i would still say that. I wish the Lions were playing the Panther’s in Charlotte this year. I would break my neck to go see them. But that’s why i have NFL Sunday ticket. That’s the only way i can see my Lions play.Watch out for Mikel Leshore. He is gonna be a nice addition to the team GO LIONS.