Lions sign veteran receiver Lance Long

Posted by ttwentyman on May 1, 2012 – 12:50 pm

Lions have signed veteran receiver Lance Long to a one-year contract.

Long, 26, who grew up in Macomb and played his college football at Mississippi State, has spent most of his NFL career on various practice squads since signing the Cardinals as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2008.

Long played in seven games with the Chiefs in 2009 and had 20 catches for 178 yards.

He was most recently cut by the 49ers during their  final cuts of training camp last season.

Long (5-11, 186) will join the Lions’ offseason training program immediately.

The Lions drafted Ryan Broyles in the second round to be their fourth receiver behind Calvin Johnson, Nate Burleson and Titus Young.

Long will compete with practice squad players Terrence Toliver, Marcus Harris and Nate Hughes, as well as some of the undrafted rookie free agents, for the No. 5 spot.

10 Responses to “Lions sign veteran receiver Lance Long”

1. By Oldcat on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Nice… Maybe this kid can answer some questions about the 49ers that will help the Lions in their matchup this year? Otherwise someone needs to explain why the Lions might need him this year.

2. By Feld on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I’d say UDFA Patrick Edwards has a far better chance at being #5 than this guy. I hope Edwards makes the cut.

3. By Terence Thomas on May 1, 2012 | Reply

GO lIONS

4. By ANTONIO VULTAGGIO on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I know this guy personally, he helps my brother Alfonso Vultaggio work out for college. I have also done some drills with him. If I know anything it is that Lance is a smart guy, and does nothing but work hard day in and day out. He will fight for a roster spot but that is just fine with him. This man has been to a Super Bowl with the cardinals and learned under larry Fitz and Anquan Boldin. He hasn’t had a sip of alchohol since he turned 21 and has never smoked. Good head on his shoulders, this is the type of player the lions always say they are looking for and now they have someone who wont be in the papers for smoking weed like last years whole draft class.

5. By JamesHall on May 1, 2012 | Reply

When will the team sign OJ Atogwe?? The draft’s over now, let’s get down to business. We let too many DB’s escape to sign elsewhere in the offseason. Brandon Carr, Tracy Porter, Cortland Finnegan, Aaron Ross, Willam Gay, Chris Carr…C’mon?? No one trusts ANY of the current Corners the Lions have. I trust the 3rd pick more than these kids. At least sign a veteran safety to go along with a healthy Delmas to solidify the tackling and stop opposing TE’s from having field days on us, like they did with Spievey at safety. He’s going to be allright in a season or two…but not right now…he’s a converted long striding CB. And let’s not forget what the Falcons gave up to get to a pro-bowl CB. A 7th round pick with the intention of restructuring his deal. Mayhew, I love you….but sometimes patience is not a virtue!

6. By Joe Solomon on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I watched this guy work out at the powerhouse gym and was amased at his abililities. If his speed is as good as I’ve heard, he has a good shot. I’d keep him at the very least on special teams, he’s Welker size and quicker.

7. By russbell on May 5, 2012 | Reply

yes james i agree were is o j atogwe he is that guy sign him jim
    GO LIONS

8. By kronik on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sick of people saying why didnt we give up a 7th rounder and get Asante Samuel like the falcons. Just so everyone’s aware he told the eagles that was the only team he would be willing to restructure his deal down from the $10 million area. He wasn’t willing to take a pay cut for any other team BUT THE FALCONS, and no one was gunna give him 8 figures to be a CB on the downside of his career. Sorry I know I would have loved to get him too, and I totally agree we need to get O.J. Atogwe and I really think we are here soon, I know he’s from Windsor and grew up loving the lions and said it would be a dream for him to play with us, and we were targeting him a couple years ago so if the staff still like him they will get him… Honestly I would be shocked if we didn’t get him since our depth is not to good in the safety department and he’s clearly better then Spievey.

9. By THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Tip of the hat again to Prez, General Mgr, and Coach.. They are all indeed very special. Thank you Mr. Ford for hiring the afore mentioned gentlemen.

10. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply