National Football Post puts Schwartz at the top of head coach power rankings

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on May 5, 2012 – 9:49 pm

Joe Fortenbaugh of National Football Post put together his list of head coach power rankings that will be “a jumping-off point for a regular feature that (they will) be running during the 2012 season.”

Detroit’s very own Jim Schwartz tops the list after three full seasons with the Lions, taking the franchise from 0-16 to its first playoff berth since 1999.

Said Fortenbaugh, “He may not have a Vince Lombardi Trophy on his mantel just yet, but nobody has done more with less in such a short time span than Jim Schwartz …”

Read his full reasoning behind Schwartz’s top spot.

36 Responses to “National Football Post puts Schwartz at the top of head coach power rankings”

1. By wajiboy on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Ya bro if you only had enough sense to re do the offensive line with at least 3 new starters you would have the SB instead of fooling yourself into thinking your going to get one. It doesn’t take a genius to know that with no real offensive line the team is fun to watch but is going nowhere just like it coach. Look how much you aged kid. Is it worth it if you can not get to the prize. The line will get you there otherwise your only fooling yourself.

2. By rockbo1955 on May 6, 2012 | Reply

You our not a fan of the detroit liuons and schwarzt and mayhew have done a superb job with detroit lions! another loser saying bad things about the team and coach you name fits you you our a boy and not a man!

3. By dcleve126 on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Every time i think about the Lions season I see a frustrated defense, and an offense that became predictable. I mean I remember the Barry up the middle, Barry right barry left, hell just give barry the ball. Fun got wins even made the playoffs. The first thing someone reading this will say I am not a true Lions fan, but they could not be more wrong but I am rambling instead of Barry its now Calvin deep calvin short Calvin across the middle. Look he is an outstanding player we have some play makers but I want a offense that frustrates defenses cause they have no idea what the Lions are doing next. When Stafford was under center I knew they were going to throw and with my weekend football couch potato mind knew it what do you think the people who were paid to stop them knew. Okay we had running back issues and we had to compensate for that. Granted but I think it would have been the same if we did not have those issues. I would like to see our play book revamped pulling tackles blocking on the edge for the runners slot receievers used more 5 receiver sets 2 tight in sets. Creativity is all I am asking we have the talent now it is up to the coaches to go further in their thinking and be more flexible in their in game adjustments. Then and only then can I say our Head coach deserves to be on top of some super coach list. But grade to this point is good and I am pleased he is our coach, just think he needs to put his foot in our offense and defense cordinators rear end. Especially the defense cause he had to know his secondary was week from day one. Another season with a non productive secondary is unacceptable.

4. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey wajiboy,

You are an idiot… You just made the kind of statement that PROVES how much you DO NOT know about football. I do agree that we need to get younger along the O-line, but not recklessly, or irresponsibility as you have suggested by getting 3 new O-linemen for God sake. I don’t care who you replace them (5 Pro Bowl players, or 5 rookies) ALL 5 NEED TO WORK TOGETHER AS ONE UNIT, otherwise Stafford would be getting killed back there. If you think the O-line is that bad then how do you explain Stafford throwing for 5000+ yards? Yeah they may not be a devastating run blocking group, but they are good enough to keep Matt upright and slinging the ball around, and they are better than the would be with 3 rookies, or new vets.

5. By Bob on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Schwartz has not achieved anything. He should be grateful for the weak schedule he has been afforded. He has not out coached anyone and is deceptive at best. Having a degree in economics, one should be able to identify inefficiencies and establish and effective plan to overcome them. He has failed to this point.

6. By Bob on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Wajiboy, you hit the nail on the head and therefore you need not contemplate the comment from redwingliger. His unsubstantiated comments were not logical. He cannot qualify or quantify his lack of logic. It does matter who we have in every sense. Football is performance based. Football is as much individual based at it is team based because individuals make up the whole. Having bad apples in the basket though will ruin the rest. The reason Stafford threw for 5000 (+) yards is because they did not run the ball much. Check your run to pass ratio redwingliger. Why did they pass block well, because that is all they did for the most part. Check how far he threw on average. That will tell you how much time he had on average. Stafford got rid of the ball quickly. Manning does the same thing. Stafford is great, but his line sucks – and will continue to suck. We should have taken the lineman as Waji indicated and it is a common belief that the lions management failed based on the opportunities that were available. So redwingliger please shut your ignorant ranting trap.

7. By carol wadsworth on May 6, 2012 | Reply

i dont know if jim schwartz will get a vince lombardi trophy this year but i bet he will get some good win,s i have faith in the lions . i know they will all play well, they have some new comers that look really promising, and i cant wait till foot ball starts. i can do without the cold weather tho.i know the lions need a running back that is not accident prone, like having a concushion, or any other injury,s. lets make it a year without any real bad injuries, ok LION,S. you boys are great, and let,s keep it that way.this new guy named riffeor something like that , he sounds like he is going to do a great job, he has all the quallification,s so far. how does anyone know how these boys that were drafted are going to play. no one should say anything if they havent seen them perform. and that wont be until August sometime. i will give coach schwartz the benefit of the doubt, as to how these men will perform. so who ever is running their yap about coach s. needs to keep it shut.until football starts.it,s not an easy job choosing new players, because no one really knows how they perform.sure wish Barry Sanders JR, would come play where his dad did, after he is done in college. that would be awsome.

8. By Slim From Va on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Look the only pick that they made this year that I wouldn’t have agreed upon was when they picked Broyles over Konz who was available at the time. Other than that they have done a good job during the drafts for me to at least give them my trust that the other players they picked which i haven’t followed fit into their plans and can excel in the system. I mean I doubted the pick a few years back when they picked Sammy Lee Hill out of Stillman college and hes doing well in their system. Be patient.

9. By detroitman on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Look, its funny to me that people go to a teams site, not even being a fan of that team, and then post some BS. i do not even bother looking at other teams sites, its: mlive.com, detroitfreepress.com, detroitnews.com, and detroitlions.com. All Lions related, so I am sorry if other peoples teams are so lame that they need to get on the Detroit Lions wed site and talk trash (wajiboy). As for the Lions, we will do all of our talking on the field, and then laugh all the way to the bank (SuperBowl). Go Lions!!!!

10. By Gary Lynch on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I have one thing to say, “If you don’t think the coach and the Lions have dramatically improved over the last 3 seasons you are absoluty an idiot”. Yes they need a little more but they are getting there quickly and I give them all the credit in the world for making the changes they did and bringing a new an improved attitude to Detroit. The Lions are going in the right direction quickly, how bout giving some credit instead of being a negitive.

11. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Bob

I was just stating the fact that replacing three offensive lineman in one season is stupid, especially if they’re all rookies. It isn’t like the Lions have totally ignored their offensive line, they have a few young offensive line prospects on the roster. Unfortunately none of them have been able to remain healthy or they are still in the developmental stages. You don’t know any more than I do, or the coaches for that matter if one or more of these guys my get their act together this season and contend for a starting job (Gerberry, McClendon, Culbreath, or Fox if he can remain healthy). You can only have 53 men on the roster during the regular season, so how many more offensive lineman would you and your boyfriend like us to carry, and at what expense? I have more for you trust the… To be continued.

12. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Bob,

I really don’t care what the statistics say, they go out the window the minute the game starts. Case in point, based on the statistics the Giants lose to the 49ers and never get to the Super Bowl last season, because the 49ers were much better statistically. Gore’s running stats against us last season looked awfully gaudy (and he wasn’t the only one) but if you take out his two long runs (47 and 55 yards) in all reality he averaged 3.0 yards per carry the rest of the game. There were 3 teams with worse running statistics than the Lions last season and none of their quarterbacks came close to what Stafford did (5000+ yards). Here’s a fun fact for you, how many yards per game did our crummy line and running back by committee average… 95.2. Kevin Smith racked up 140 yards (most of them right up the gut) in his very first game last season, then he suffered a high ankle sprain and his numbers went down significantly afterwards (and he still averaged 4.9 yards per carry). Of course he does have a history of running behind this same line for two years prior to last season (this O-line was together for the third consecutive season entering 2011).

13. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Bob,

As for your theory devaluing the benefit of the continuity of players playing together, and that the individual is more important than the team. Well the Eagles sure proved just how stupid that line of thinking is. They flat out sucked until they played together for 1/2 of last year, and how many potential hall of fame players, or at least superstar rated players were on that team? I don’t care what the sport is (as long as it’s a team sport) history proves that teams that play as a team together are much more successful than teams with selfish players are. Look at how many times “underdog teams” that play as a unit kicked the backsides of teams loaded with superstar players that want to take over the game and carry the team because they think they can. What made the 49ers so good last year, especially after not having anywhere near the kind of success they did last season? I’ll answer it for you… Jim Harbaugh was the genius (and I mean that respectfully) that got a bunch of highly rated players (whom had been underachievers) together and playing as one unit.

14. By Oldcat on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Its like this: Schwartz inherited a team devoid of talent, with the exception of CJ. And after years of Millen drafting so many high picks that became busts, this regime also inherited a cap-strapped team which has made it that more difficult to improve the talent. In the short time Mayhew and Schwartz has been running the show they’ve managed to accomplish remarkable things with what they’ve had to work with. When your cap situation is so screwed you can’t be much of a player on free agency. Recent examples are the handful of FA DB’s the Lions have had to pass on. If anyone thinks there weren’t at least a couple free agents they wanted this year but couldn’t afford to make an offer, well, you’re just blind to reason. And there’s only so much you can do in a single draft to actually improve the quality of talent on a team even if your picks are as good as anyone could hope for. If a team picks 4 players that eventually develop into solid starters, much less a couple immediate starters, that’s about as good as any team could hope for. And you have to be realistic. Most players, depending on the position, can take 2 or 3 years before becoming experienced and knowledgeable enough to be consistent and reliable at the NFL level. I could go on… There should be no doubt that Schwartz has done a superb job of getting the most out of what he’s had to work with. Unfortunately it’s going to take a few years to get past the damage Millen has done to this franchise. It’s actually going to take 4 or 5 years to get past the poor cap situation while doing everything possible to acquire and maintain the talent necessary to compete at a high level. Schwartz deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done to this point, and he deserves some slack for anything you think he supposedly should be blamed for. Nobody is perfect. Nobody is right 100% of the time. However, Schwartz is certainly doing quite a few things better than can expected with the hand he’s been dealt.

15. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Bob,

In response to you and your boyfriend (wajiboy) hatred of Jim Schwartz and what he HAS accomplished thus far in his tenure. It is blatantly obvious that you know nothing about the things Martin Mayhew, AND Jim Schwartz have accomplished thus far. You call taking a team from 0-16, to 6-10, and then 10-6 (in just three years) and you’re saying that they haven’t accomplished anything? Seriously you and your idiot boyfriend need to learn a whole lot more about just how difficult professional football is, because obviously you don’t have a clue. FYI the Detroit Lions are one of the up and coming young teams in today’s NFL. Apparently your standards of Schwartz’s accomplishments are much more stringent (and unrealistic) than anyone else in the NFL. Obviously you and your boyfriend don’t have a clue, and it isn’t worth the bother of trying to explain anything to people that are as ignorant as the two of you are. As for Schwartz being the “beneficiary of a weak schedule” their schedule entering last season was ranked the fourth most difficult… Just more ammunition (supplied by you) to combat the uneducated drabble coming out of your mouth.

16. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Slim, Gary, and Oldcat,

Thank you for recognizing Schwartz and Mayhew’s accomplishments thus far in their tenure. I know that I posted a bunch of valid points, but above all I think our front office has validated themselves quite remarkably thus far. I will admit that I question some of the draft choices these guys have made in the past, but so far they have proven to me that they know what they’re doing better than do I. I am so tired of hearing all kinds of negativity from so called “fans” of this team and when I hear someone badmouth Schwartz in particular I’m not going to stand for it anymore. Obviously the two people that I was directing my comments towards specifically don’t have a clue about what wins championships and what doesn’t. I will admit too that I thought, (or at least hoped) that Konz would be our second round pick, so that we could groom him for the future. Of course he does have a reputation all having ankle problems, so who knows he may wind up being a bust too, that being said though Ryan Broyles does project to be one heck of a NFL receiver before it’s all said and done.

17. By Jason Mitchell on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I think we have to give this new regime some time. I like that they are calulating and patient. That is what builds dynasties, drafting well and grooming from within. I also believe that the front office cannot reveal their cards in that maybe Broyles for example gets groomed and has huge upside and… can be traded for a top cb? As this team continues to just build talent, trading will or could fill in the missing pieces. My two cents. Go Lions!

18. By brandonb8t on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I was going to say something like “blah, blah, blah, Bob and wajiboy are idiots…blah, how dare you millen fan, ignorant…blah, “weak schedule” ? are you effing kidding me?…blah, blah.” but redwingliger pretty much covered all the bases. Kudos.

19. By nighttrain1 on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Schwartz is way ahead of schedule, most teams have a 5 year rebuilding program just to make it to the playoffs, but Schwartz and Mayhew did it in 3, that means one hell of a lot to me because I have lived through the Lions rebuilding program since the sixties. Anybody that don’t think what coach has done with the Lions is great, is just plain nuts. Remember some of the old Lions teams that were so bad that if you took 53 guys that post here they would have a hard time beating us.(just kidding, but you get my point) Nobody treated the Lions like a professional football team, they was treated like the joke they were. It was a insult, a slap in the face to be beaten by the Lions, players got benched when teams lost to them. Now that Schwartz and Mayhew has turned it around, we, the fans that has waited all this time for a good football team should rally round coach and back him every chance we get.

20. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

For me Jim Schwartz earned my support long before he coached his first Lions game when he got rid of the weight machines and brought in free weights, which I though there’s a start. His next most impressive move was to assign parking spaces to every player in camp be them veteran players, or UDFA because they were parking all over the place (including the lawns) with no rhyme or reason. He said his teams would have structure and discipline, (or something to that effect) I remember thinking it’s about time. I thought back to when Rod Marinelli used to stand up there taking questions from the media. loss after pitiful loss and make excuses for his team’s bonehead play and say, “It’s my fault, I’ve got to teach these guy’s better.” I remember thinking what are you talking about, these guys have been playing football since they were in the peewee league. Part one of three

21. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Ron Marinelli was the last in a long line of coaches with losing records and I can’t help but to think that those of you whom are complaining about Jim Schwartz probably became fair weather fans this past season.. How can you not appreciate a guy that had inherited a 0-16 team that was full of the most underachieving, pride-less, lazist, undisciplined check collectors, and turn them around and only three years, and reach the playoffs? Lest he forget the Bobby Ross era, which was the last time (prior to 2011) that the Lions even made the playoffs, (whom incidentally was the main reason why Barry Sanders abruptly retired). I have suffered through five coaches since Bobby Ross was replaced by Gary Moeller (in 2000) and what Jim Schwartz has accomplished in three short years blows away every either coaches achievements hands down. Part two of three

22. By redwingliger on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I have either watched or listened to almost every Lions game since I was a kid (I’m now 52 years old) yeah, I am a little more sadistic than most of you lol. I would love to make those of you anti-Jim Schwartz whiners sit down and watch all those painful games to watch, so maybe, just maybe you learn a little about this franchise. There were a lot more well known coaches prior to Jim Schwartz, (Rod Marinelli, Dick Jauron, Marty Mornhinweg, and Steve Mariucci) most of whom had two or more years to get us into the playoffs and not one of them could do it. Guess who has the highest winning percentage of the four previous coaches I mentioned… Jim Schwartz with a 0.375 winning percentage. A lot of those coaches I named were much more (at least to me) respected, and well known than Jim Schwartz, and some of you guys act like Jim Schwartz is the worst coach in the Lions’ history, and I think that STINKS BIG TIME!!! The end

23. By Steven on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Alright look,. people seem to be saying they use Stafford to much..They have no line…Yadda Yadda…I’m a hardcore football fan, A hardcore lions fan at that. The lions had two serious issues from what I can see…First off….The defense didn’t play AS good as it should of with the line-up we had..No doubt it was impressive but Suh slacked…Two…No running game…You say Calvin and Stafford were used too much..Thats because they had to be…With the entire running back corp hurt, our starting tight end hurt and a sure thing in a mammoth Wide reciever they really don’t have a choice..Sure we can take the chance and throw it to the other side of the field….But why when Megatron leaps over a set of secondary defensemen and catches the ball. We need a run game in order for the line to get better…then Calvin and Stafford both become better because the lions offense would be authentic. A run game can set up a numerous amount of things..Something we didn’t have at ALL last year..Maybe two games we had a glimmer of hope with Kevin Smith pounding the ball but when he went down we were a no show again. Everyone knew they’d throw the ball and with no running back to throw off the defense, the DL can blizt nonstop and make stafford dance..Think about it..We get a run game so that the DL has to think more about a back than the QB and blizts won’t come as often. Gives stafford a moment to think and even when thinking fast he threw for 5000 not saying he’s gonna get more..But I think he’s avgs can get better with his completions and attempts going down.

24. By dreameagle on May 7, 2012 | Reply

when you figure he’s got a debutante for a GM, s dolt for a team president and a dunce for an owner, Schwartz ought to be considered for a Nobel Prise…

25. By marcus on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Jimmy Schwartz Rocks!!!!

26. By rockbo1955 on May 7, 2012 | Reply

I am pround of the true lions fan for speaking up against these people for there slander and totally disreguard and disrespect the a few people have thrown at the lions and the coach and mayhew and the owner we our no longer a laughing stock of the nfl! thanks to schwartz we went o-16 to 10-6 in a short time and i even more impress with the draft this year especially the day after getting all those undrafted guys thats were the diamond in the ruff our! yes it was megtron and stafford last year and thats why broyales was picked we have got to have 5 and 6 guys going out for more options it was the best call and the rbs that they got were mostly after the draft so they could afford to sign them thats was really smart instead cheating like the dallas did with there cap money and yes you will see some of the undrafted guys playing on the field this season this will a tough to trim down the roster to 53 but thats how you find guys that can really play this game especially now your allowed 90 players to have on the team till the cut down so I beleive in everything they have done and if konz has a weak ankle it will show up soon this year! its hard to have contenuity on the line and rb and wr lb de when you lose one you lose alot and the rbs the signed of the undrafted our insurance policy for the running back smith is okay but he gets injured alot and concussion our very hard the more you get the worse they get so in reality we have only one to three backs But i beleive this will be address before the cut down you will see some quality players donig the kickoff and punt returns this year because thats what its going to take keep the players they want and i am really proud of all my lions team from top to bottom and schwartz is the best!

27. By dreameagle on May 8, 2012 | Reply

folks need to realise where Mayhew and Lewand came from—the Dark Time, the Millen Era;

as such they cannot be counted on for ANYHTING, nore credited with ANY progress we have made, period;

Schwartz is the de facto but true Team President and GM,
    something easily proved by the drafting of Reiff;

had Schwartz been given free reign, we’d have Tyson Smith here, too, and possibly Winston as well;

then our toothless tackles could be moved into a OG rotation with Sims and Peterson, to hide their core deficiencies as football players;

quick, when is the last time a QB who threw for 5000 yards made it to the Super Bowl?

that’s right, Marino–and he never went back, did he?

so, yes, we ARE using Matt and Megatron too much;

just ask the Giants and NE;

the former for the second time in five years won it all with a 4000 yd QB and a timely if nondescript running game–that is, one that could win third downs and red zones;

football 101–how do you get a timely running game?

NOT with a superatar like Peterson–just ask Minn;

you win with an OL that can knock somebody down at least on key third and fourth downs;

NO ONE on our line can knock anybody down, thus we have no running game, it’s that simple;

who is NE’s All-Pro runner?

that’s right, they don’t have one, nor do the NY Giants–but one has a ring and the other just missed one by a fingertip last year;

now, how many All-Pro OL do NE and the Giants have?

how many of those All-Pros are tackles?

anybody seeing a pattern here?

a pattern we only just this draft started following?

28. By dreameagle on May 8, 2012 | Reply

that’s right, Rockbo–thanks to Schwartz, NOT Mayhew or Lewand, and most certainly not Billy Ford!

can’t you see that Schwartz is a line-favouring coach who would’ve built up the O-line by now just as he has the D-line if left to his own devices, that he was only hindered from doing this by Mayhew and Lewand?

i’m thinking Billy Ford has finally grown too feeble to interfere with day-to-day affairs, so he’s kept morons like Mayhew and Lewand around for their comfort level much like Millen gave him;

29. By rockbo1955 on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I dont care what you say mayhew has done a wonderful job and so has leland what you got to remmeber all those bad picks and signed and release because they were lousy and cost the lions millions thanks to millen so we have had to dig out of that hole and get the major players signed except avril and I am hoping we sign him before the season so that didnt bode well for us to trade for the big buck and same goes with the draft we drafted who we could sign under the cap thats the part people our missing is we had our hands tied if it wasnt for megtron and stafford restucture there deals and others we wouldnt be in shape to do anything and thats where mayhew and schwartz putting there thinking hats and worked there magic this a team and people want to play for the lions now! and they our not done come cut down time the lions will pick some vets off waviers and we will be the team we saw last but better no I will not put anyone down from top to bottom this a team and I am a team player type fan who loves the detroit lions! been a fan for 46 years and will be till my dieing day!

30. By dreameagle on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Rockbo, please think;

Mayhew and Lewand are Millen’s people, so you cannot expect much from them;

we should’ve drafted Tyron Smith, Nate Soldier or the kid from “Blindside;

we should’ve picked up Winston or Grubb or Steinbach;

we need to replace Backus and Raiola and Cherilus or we will NEVER go to a Super Bowl;

why haven’t we fixed our offensive line?

two reasons–Mayhew and Lewand, now that Ford seems to feeble to interfere anymore;

31. By rockbo1955 on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I disagree with you! mayhew has done a 180 from where he was under millen made the problems he didnt know backside from his head! backus has two years left and we will address replacing the unit and creating harmony on the o-line.I have heart for this team and we will be just fine! I am tired of the fighting of what should be and lazyboy coach,owner and president get over it or got off the subject! the lions our in better hands then they have ever been so please get this either your part of the team or you our a ownes type person who destroy any chemistry with you idioctic rants if you looking for support for your negative views of the team I am not going to agree with you nor will I contiune with this conversation! because all it does is divide and destroy and I am not buying it.

32. By g3woody on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Oh my gosh…ya’ll have way too much time on your hands. Redwingliger may be the only one here who has seen more than one play off game and understands the direction in which the lions are headed. For the rest of you, coaching a “fantasy” team doesn’t count nor does it add crediblility to your opinion.

Keep listening to Mel Kiper (what has he ever done besides state the obvious) and SLIM you better save that money….You’ll be buying you or your kid a Broyles jersey by game six.

My opinion….If the lions start out 0-4 this year, ya’ll will be wearing that cowboy jersey on Sunday anyway….

Lions Fan Since 1966….that’s 46 years for you non-fantasy fellas (fantasy guys know everything).

33. By russbell on May 11, 2012 | Reply

hey bob you need to shut your trap mr know it. all get a life its football talk
    period

34. By russbell on May 11, 2012 | Reply

too who it may concern i have moved from pittsburgh pa to auburn hills mich
    in 1967 came from a city that won four yes four super bowls yes the
    iron curtin and i became a lions die hard fan something about underdog
    teams i love to root them on i remember billy sim days any way i see
    this team that jim put together is in the same mold as the 1974 steelers
    version dont belive me check it out compare. the only difference is we have
    no mean joe green here kid have my coke superbowl or bust
    go lions

35. By rockbo1955 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

thank you russbell for saying just what i was thinking!

36. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Jim deserves top 5 for sure. Next year after this Super Bowl I’ll agree with #1.