Lions agree to terms with rookie linebacker Travis Lewis to four-year deal

Posted by ttwentyman on May 9, 2012 – 4:39 pm

The Lions have agreed to terms with seventh-round pick Travis Lewis on a four-year contract, according to league sources.

Lewis’ deal is worth $2.16 million.

Under the new rules of the collective bargaining agreement, all draft picks get four-year deals, with first-round picks receiving a fifth-year option.

Lewis (6-2, 227) was the 223rd-overall pick in the draft and is the first of the team’s eight draft picks to agree to terms on a rookie deal. He finished with 446 career tackles at Oklahoma.

Detroit’s rookie mini-camp begins Friday at the team’s Allen Park facility and all eight picks will be in attendance.

18 Responses to “Lions agree to terms with rookie linebacker Travis Lewis to four-year deal”

1. By rockbo1955 on May 9, 2012 | Reply

this is what i like to see get them signed as fast as they can!

2. By fred on May 9, 2012 | Reply

The part i dont get though…they signed the 7th round pick before rookie mini camps…what about the others? And why not them first?

3. By rexryanschoolofpodiatry on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Rookies don’t need to be under contract to attend mini camps and OTA’s. Only have to be under contract for training camp. The late round contracts are much easier to finalize and get out of the way before getting to the more ‘language heavy’ early round contracts.

4. By Rocky Bass on May 9, 2012 | Reply

fred.
    Because the higher round draft picks want a boat-load more money. A 7th rounder is greatful to get signed, and $2 mil is standard wage for that round unless your really special.
    Negotiating the higher picks involes incentives ect. which can get difficult to agree on the details.

5. By redwingliger on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Fred, This is the last place you should look for info, because this “team website” SUCKS compared to the rest of the NFC north, and has for years, they just don’t care about us “fans”.

6. By dan on May 9, 2012 | Reply

they really need to get avril resigned.and ur right fred i think they signed him to quick before they could even see what he could do in pads. same mistake they made with 5 picks last year that got injured for most the season.

7. By bamfu on May 9, 2012 | Reply

fred – r u serious?

redwing – go somewhere else then and good riddance.

8. By rockbo1955 on May 10, 2012 | Reply

they higher rond picks take a diffrent conditions to sign them but i beleive they will all be signed by then!

9. By Bill OConnor on May 10, 2012 | Reply

It doesnt matter under the new CBA, it makes it easier to get your draft picks signed. So they will all be signed on time. I’m just excited to see this kid prove himself. Don’t let me down Travis. I’m rooting for you.

10. By Chris on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I’m excited to see this guy play, he lead the Sooners in tackles for his career. Several sources i read said this guy had potential 1st or 2nd round talent so for us to get him in the 7th round is a steal!

11. By Don on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Lewand should get them all signed. he usually does.
    I don’t think that it is anything to worry about. Maybe but, I don’t think so.
    Bill OConner, Right on, Travis Looks to be a beast. In fact All the Lbers that we picked up in this draft look like Beast’s!
    I can’t wait to see these guy’s learning the system and tacking care of the Middle for us. I think that we are going to be able to shut down most of the other team’s running games. I just want to see how these guy’s are about shutting down TEs
    and getting interceptions !
    GO LIONS!

12. By redwingliger on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Fred, I was just saying that this team website doesn’t inform the fans of whats going on with the team. It isn’t very “flashy” or interesting, and it takes them forever to do simple things like update the transactions page. Go listen to the Ronnell Lewis conference call audio sound bite and if you have a heart you will feel sorry for the kid, and be embarrassed to be a lions fan, when you hear the lions media members basically asking him if he thinks he’s “smart enough” to play this game. After Ronnell hangs up the phone, the group of media members almost debate his level of intelligence… I just hope Ronnell never hears it because I’m sure it won’t make him feel very good about himself, or how he will be judged in Detroit, below is the link. I wrote to the website people shortly after the audio got posted informing them of this, and asking them to edit the part after Ronnell hung up out of the sound bite but they haven’t and they never responded to my e-mail either. Anyway if you take five minutes and go to the other NFC North team sites you’ll see things like articles, or press conference’s about how some of the rookies looked, who’s signed, or hasn’t, and stuff like that that we don’t get here.

13. By redwingliger on May 10, 2012 | Reply

bamfu, get a life puke!

14. By rockbo1955 on May 10, 2012 | Reply

fred,red,dan do the world a favor and go somewhere else to right you ingorant post! obviously you have been bnned from other posting and you have landed here to spread hate and destruction so we will see about getting you banned from here I am sure that other true fans of the lions would help me to get you banned from this site! since you dont understand english and/or anything we have told you on many occasion to sist and decease in the most polite way to shut up and go away all of your lives must be misable to such hate of everything because I am sure your life is miserable with your outlook on life and I even feel a little sorry for you how do you mange to get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror! It I cant even think of it! please go away to a desserted island and wirte all you uglyness in the sands and begone!

15. By redwingliger on May 10, 2012 | Reply

rockbo1955, GIVE GETTING ME BANNED YOUR BEST EFFORTS PENIS BREATH, IF YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT I POST DON’T READ IT. It’s obvious you can’t cipher written English, or distinguish the difference between hate, hope for a better product, but that doesn’t surprise me anymore because so many people with YOUR level of education (approximately grade 3 I’m guessing, despite the 4 years you spent in 5th grade in that fine City of Detroit Public school system you attended) refuse to better themselves intellectually. Laziness is contagious and there seems to be an epidemic of lazy, uneducated, and completely ignorant people like YOU ROCKBO1955 leading the pack. Since you CAN’T comprehend my written words, (which were ALL ABOUT PROTECTING our 4th round draft pick Ronnell Lewis and his feelings) than DON’T CALL ME OUT AND ACT LIKE I’M BADMOUTHING MY BELOVED TEAM BECAUSE I’M NOT YOU MORON!!!

Would I like to see more creativity, more content, more frequently updated information about what’s happening with my Lions team, of course I would, wouldn’t we all? In order to get there it is going to take effort, effort from those of us whom visit this website, effort from those people whom have/are built, and maintain this website and effort from the Lions organization to have the type of passionate fan base other teams do. Is there anything wrong with that?

16. By Don on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Redwingliger,I just went to the site that you were talking about and listened to the media. And as Many People know that Know me and what I have said about the media at times know’s that if I thought that they were not being fair to a player or that they were Knocking our players or putting the Team down in any way that I would probably let them know about it.
    However in this case I just don’t see it? I don’t think that they were running Ronnell down at all. In fact I think that it is just the opposite.
    I think that Maybe someone else must of made comments about Ronnell?
    because it Sounded to me that Our Media Was commenting on how smart Ronnell actually was.
    I am not trying to get on your case either, I just think that you should listen to it again. They may have asked him if he thought that he was smart enough to play, but when he told them that he was ( and he Certainly is!) They did’nt ridicule him about it, did they? And after he hung up the Madea was saying only good things about him. They did’nt say anything negative.
    Well anyway’s, we all want this Team to be a Team and want them to all lift each other up and push each other to be the best and Win the superbowl, one game at a time. Let’s not tear each other apart either.
    Are we Not ALL LIONS Fans here?
    GO LIONS! Super Bowl Win! Superbowl Win! Superbowl Win!

17. By mike on May 11, 2012 | Reply

wow, not much going on. can’t believe i read all this.

18. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad to see so many contracts getting done so quickly!