Broyles: “Days and hours are all running together right now.”

Posted by Tara Altman on May 11, 2012 – 7:01 pm

“I got in yesterday – I had a flight early in the morning – woke up at about 5:30. I got to the facility at 11:00 and filled out papers, had lunch, kind of just hung out and met the coaches. At the end of the day we had a team meeting with the head coach.

“Today has been the biggest day for us. This morning we got up, came over, ate breakfast, had meetings and then had some more meetings, had lunch, had another meeting, a walk through, we were out on the field just now and then the weight room. Today has been non-stop with something to do every hour with probably about 20 minutes in between everything. That’s expected though in a three-day camp. You’ve got to get as much in as possible. Days and hours are all running together right now.

“Not being able to participate brings me back to after I got hurt at Oklahoma when I had to miss four games. I’m sitting on the sideline just so eager and competitive wanting to go in there and show what I have. I’ve been working the last five-and-a-half months to get to where I want to be. I get here and they’re pulling the reigns on me.

“They want to hold me back, which is reasonable, but it’s just not fun having to sit back. It is cool though to encourage other guys and be on the outside looking in, being able to talk to the coaches and be one of the guys who can state their opinion on how guys are working their different routes and things like that.

“The coaches know who they’re getting and they know the type of player they’re getting … now they want to see if I can come in and pick up the system. That’s the biggest thing for us now, meeting non-stop to get as much information in as possible. Every coach is seeing if you can take it in. I feel like I’ve done pretty well learning as much as I have that they’ve thrown at me so far. Not having to worry about the physical part on the field, it’s just mainly mental.

“On day three of the draft I hear Ronnell Lewis got picked in the fourth round and then in the seventh round Travis Lewis got picked, so it made me feel a little bit better to have somebody up here. Then they brought in Sam Proctor as well so it’s been a good deal.

“We get to be here and feel comfortable as much as possible and a lot of the other guys don’t have too many friends coming in. I feel very blessed to be in this situation. We’re tight. We are hard workers. Ronnell left school early but me, Sam and Travis all came in the same year so we’ve been through it all together.

“It’s been a fun day and I’m sure things will slow down next week since we’re here for a month. Right now they’re seeing as much as they can in these three days that they’re allowed to get in.”

Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Broyles: “Days and hours are all running together right now.””

1. By jack ostrander on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Let it rip. we need some one like you thats able to catch almost everything thrown at thim. Stafford will light you up with his big arm.

2. By rockbo1955 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

this is going to be a excellent reciver and megtron can have even less guys on him and he will be unstopable!

3. By fred on May 11, 2012 | Reply

You forget that Titus Young had a pretty decent rookie season too….stafford will be in heaven if he has 4 go-to guys on the field at once.

4. By bamfu on May 11, 2012 | Reply

just don’t push yourself too hard too fast man. let the healing process take its course and when you’re ready you’ll show everyone what you already know what you can do. prolly another 3-4 months and i can’t wait to see you on the field. wouldn’t surprise me at all if you unseat nate as our #2 sooner rather than later. best of luck and god speed man :)

5. By Jacob on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Well you have your support from all your OU fans. Hoping one day to get the signature on the 85 Sooners jersey that sits in my room.

6. By British_Sooner on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Detroit got themselves an amazing guy off the field, and an extremely talented and professional athlete on the field! The whole Sooner nation will be tuning into see yOU and OUr other guys doing work for the lions! Heal up right bro, cos this league has never seen anyone like Ryan Broyles before, and they may never do again! Lions fans are in for a treat!

7. By Amanda on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Ryan…..good to see what it is like on the inside. Enjoy the sorta down time……i am sure it won’t last. Can’t wait to watch you as a Lion. I enjoyed watching you as a Sooner. Thanks for blogging…..can’t wait for football season to start.

8. By david on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Hey broyles im excited to have you your going to do wonderful things. Your a great asset and piece of the puzzle just remember us lion fans are behind you the whole time God Bless and welcome aboard

9. By Soulman45 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

It well be fun with 4 wide all with good hands and well go get the ball.
    With CJ running deep taking 2 and 3 with him it leave a lot of open space Stafford should have another great year with a little run and shoot mixed in.

10. By jerry on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Ryan

Thank you for being a nice young man. Good luck to you this season and I hope you have a long career.

11. By Kurt on May 11, 2012 | Reply

As a life long Detroit Lions football I just wanted to say welcome to the D. Thanks for writing in your blog, it was enjoyable and a good read. You are coming to a Detroit Lion team that has been unlike any other. The time has come for the Lions to keep the pedal to the metal but stay focused. I have a good feeling about your success in this city. Embrace it and and help make this city proud. Go LIONS.. @kurtoG

12. By Phil on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Better to miss some mini-camp practice than risk missing an entire year ( and have your career derailed ) good luck Ryan you’ll get there.

13. By Sean on May 12, 2012 | Reply

I cant wait to see what you can do. I think 4 spread will open the running game and the pass protection wont know what to do. I am also thinking when we bring on TEs also this will be a lot of fun to watch our offense this next YEAR!!!

14. By dcleve126 on May 12, 2012 | Reply

I will say remember Calvin did not roar loud his first year, but now his roar is feared, the Veterans on this team want you to be productive learn the tricks and be sound in ur routes, but most impotantly find out where you are to break off a route and sit cause Matt will need you to be there. I cannot say it any plainer just do your job and the fans will embrace you.

15. By ee00ee on May 12, 2012 | Reply

I get the feeling in time as he learns the ropes he’ll replace Burleson not only on the field but also off the field with a certain swag. He seems like a very intelligent and personable man. He’ll be a solid addition to this team!

16. By dewalt2990 on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Luckily we don’t have to play a game next week. Lots of time for everything to sink in. I hope he’s learning some fundamentals as well, not just the playbook and the system.

17. By mike on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Still can’t believe they drafted him in the second round with all the other defensive holes…please don’t try and pass off the other late picks as addressing these problems…..the pr push has already begun on Aaron Berry and the cast of leftovers from last year……

18. By KJ on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Get over it. Guys like Mike are idiots and have no clue just how good Broyles is and can be. Once Jenkins goes ahead of the Lions pick in round 2, all the elite corners of the draft were gone. The Lions made the right choice taking someone who, prior to his injury, was a guaranteed first rounder. Being way ahead of schedule with his rehab, when Broyles fell to them for their second pick it must have felt like Christmas came early. My guess is they had corners like Bentley and Greenwood rated just as high as Trumaine Johnson, Jammell Fleming, and Josh Robinson and the other corners who were left. They knew they had the inside track on Greenwood because of his Albion roots so they were comfortable waiting for him to drop for a while. Rather than reaching for a corner in round 2 because of need they took someone who is almost a lock to be a solid contributor. Then they addressed the corner by taking Bentley in the third with little to no fall off from those corners who were taken after Broyles.

19. By rockbo1955 on May 12, 2012 | Reply

I must say this is the smartest move anybody pulled off in the draft its belachek type move only he didnt make we did and with schwartz ,mayhew,lewland. They know how to do it and i cant wait for stafford has four and five or even six options be tight end and rb ! and with megtron and the others they can block I wouldnt be surprised if we so more screen pass to backs that can catch and thes receivers and others blocking it will only take one or two for big yards or td the defense wont be able to put nine in the box every time and they will have to back and only blitz all out and when they get burned on that with a td the def cord of other teams will be pulling there hair out and our defense will stop teams this no doubt in my mind! WOW this is great TO BE A LIONS FAN! have been for 46 years !

20. By redwingliger on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Well there is something to gain I’m sure from watching the other receivers, and picking the coaches minds… hang in there Ryan you’ll be out there soon. :-)

21. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 12, 2012 | Reply

We’ll wait on you Ryan! We know you’re gonna be GREAT for this team. Be patient fam!