Posted by Tara Altman on May 13, 2012 – 12:17 pm

“Man, this weekend has been fun. It’s been a grind, guys coming in, giving all they have. Today I just woke up, had an offensive meeting, walk through and then went out here on the field just cleaning up the last few days, running a couple of plays. Today was just for guys to come out here and put in what they’ve learned throughout the process. I felt like guys were more comfortable. Like I said yesterday, they’re feeling comfortable with what they’ve learned, and just fitting in more than anything.

“You leave home, you have to come out here and it’s just a different world for sure. You understand that it’s a business and guys are preparing themselves. They might put too much pressure on themselves, so you have to find a balance. A lot of these guys have been playing football for a long time, so really it’s time for them to turn it on and the next step is making the team or not making the team. I hate that I couldn’t participate. It’s just crazy.

“We started out in the receiver room, I felt like it was eight guys, a few guys got hurt and then continued to move on. Then the last day we had four receivers and then two coaches with the Lions walked over to two players and the others just walked off the field. You come here and everyone is prepared to work and you start to build a relationship over the three days and then it just comes to an end for some of the guys.

“It’s just a sad deal, they have the conditioning test, then they don’t make the team, so it’s like, ‘What was the point?’ But it’s going to motivate guys that don’t make the team, and it will motivate guys that do make the team knowing that they have a place and can feel more comfortable and just go out there and play ball.

“My fiance MaryBeth left this morning, I think she’ll make it half way and then pull over and get a hotel and then make it the rest of the way. I think I’m done around 12 o’clock tomorrow, so I’ll probably hang out a little bit. It will be good to see her. My life has been in this facility for the last three days, between the hotel and here, so hopefully I’ll get to go see some things in the area.

“We start workouts next week. We’ll do some conditioning and weight room things, so I’ll be doing that, and therapy still. I’m just inching closer and closer to getting back on the field.”

Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Broyles: “This weekend has been fun. It’s been a grind, guys coming in, giving all they have.””

1. By JT on May 13, 2012 | Reply

When Broyles gets healthy, HE WILL MAKE OUR DBs BETTER

2. By tufflynx on May 13, 2012 | Reply

It is always nice to hear about what goes on behind the scenes. It is also really interesting to get into the head of an athlete that is experiencing this type of thing. The big majority of people never get a chance to try out for a pro football team. So it is a bit like having a window into the process.

Thanks for this blog Ryan. It has been great to read and thought provoking.

3. By Touch Dowen on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Thanks, Ryan, good luck!!!! Good things come to those who wait!

4. By bmkmd on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the inside track on the Rookie mini-camp. Look forward to hearing about the rest of training camp, exhibition games and the real thing in the fall. Hope you are ready and it’s safe to go by then, but don’t kid yourself. It’s brutal out there.

5. By bmkmd on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Good luck on healing, but take all the time you need. It’s brutal where you’re going to be playing.

Maybe just count every day as one step closer.

And keep the inside track info coming. You’re good at it.

6. By Bob on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Merry Christmas. What a wasted pick. I hope you do great, but OMG.

I hope they flip you and make you a DB.

There is no way in hell you were the BPA on the Lions board. If you were then they are absolutely moronic. This is them keeping in the Lions tradition of sucking.

Lions fan 30+ years!

Go you stinking Lions – yeah:(

7. By jb on May 15, 2012 | Reply

obviously bob doesnt know that Nate Burleson is getting up there in years and that stephon logan just doesnt cut it on special teams. why stretch for someone when u can have this years draft classes best reciever in the second round and we can give him time to heal and learn from the best there is…..just imagine the numbers you can put up when youve got a qb that can put it where only you can catch it ecstatic about you comn to the team been waitn for that trophy since I was in diapers

8. By mike on May 15, 2012 | Reply

He sure talks a lot for a guy who did not participate in much of any thing…..

9. By Ryan Sproull on May 16, 2012 | Reply

It’s like our own little blog version of Hard Knocks.. Dammit I wish the Lions would have said yes!

10. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Broyles is gonna shock Lions fans this year with his production!