Posted by Tara Altman on May 24, 2012 – 4:38 pm

“Finally getting on the field was fun – just going out there. I’ve been working as hard as I can in therapy. I went out there and did a little bit in individual drills; they don’t want me to do anything with contact yet. I was eager to get out there today, I felt good, but coach was like, ‘Just hold off on it,’ but it’s been good.

“In the film room I’ve been learning the plays and then going out there and doing a little bit of that; got a little one-on-one with the offensive coordinator and the quarterbacks to go over some routes and get the timing down. That’s been fun.

“Matthew puts the ball in places I wouldn’t think a quarterback could throw it. He’s got a strong arm. He’s really poised, knows the offense, obviously, so it’s good to work with a guy like that. No matter where you are on the field, if he thinks he can get it there, he’s going to put it there. He’s got a great arm, the best ball I’ve ever seen thrown, so it’s cool working with a guy like that.

“Coach wanted us to come to the side after practice, we were dropping a lot of passes today. There’s a lot going on right now for the rookies, you try to learn the plays and you go out there and you can’t just play ball. You have to worry about where you’re set up and then you have to worry about reading coverages and things are moving a bit faster, so it was good to do some one-on-one stuff with coach after that and work on our motions and really just slow the game down as much as possible. The more you’re in it, the more comfortable you’ll feel, so that’s why we were out there after practice.

“The veteran receivers make you feel like you’re one of them. You see them on TV and it’s crazy and then you’re actually in the NFL now, so you’re just one of the guys. It’s a good thing. They take us in and I learn little things from them. I’m sitting back from afar watching every little thing that they do and really just try to implement it into my game. That’s the funnest part about it, just watching them work and try to do what they can.

“The Bocce event yesterday was pretty cool. I never heard of Bocce, never seen it played, so I went out there and gave it a couple of shots, it was fun.

“I’m heading back home for the weekend, leaving tomorrow to relax for a little bit, then I’ll come back in on Monday and get ready for Tuesday.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Broyles: “Matthew puts the ball in places I wouldn’t think a quarterback could throw it.””

1. By little on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to the Lions young man, make all us Honolulu Blue bleeding fans proud. It is really nice having four Sooners in one draft. I am a Michigan fan but always have had alot of respect for OK>

2. By Joe Hall on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Broyles could be exciting. Stafford’s the man

3. By tracy on May 24, 2012 | Reply

We are big Sooner fans and are excited to see the Lions do well with you on the team! God Bless

4. By David Korczyk on May 24, 2012 | Reply

I love this guy. Really well spoken and obviously ready to play his heart out for the team. I can’t wait to see what he, and the rest of the team, can do this year!

5. By maz1962 on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Dear Ryan,
    Just ordered my Ryan Broyles # 84 jersey…no pressure but you better make the team and get on the field. I like what I’ve heard from you and anticipate a long, productive Lions career. I just invested $165 in you brother! GO LIONS!

6. By Hogfish on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Health is number one. It is hard to watch when you can play. Broyles needs make himself ready for the later part of the season, if able. Thanksgiving Game and then on; the team will be eyeing the playoffs, and a healthy Broyles stepping in would be great. Next year sounds realistic.

7. By Eddie on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Glad to have ya on the team Broyles. It’s especially good to hear that you’re taking notice of our vet receivers as we, obviously, have the best in the game in Megatron and an excellent leader and veteran in Burleson. Keep a level head, listen to your coaches, and be ready when your number is called. The Lions faithful is behind you and the rest of the team. GO LIONS

8. By eric on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Could soon be best receiving corps in the game…

9. By ajb in GR on May 26, 2012 | Reply

matthew has a very strong arm the key this year is keeping his jersy clean

10. By buzzardpointlookout on May 26, 2012 | Reply

If Broyles’ production can match his attitude, I’ll take back every curse I yelled at the screen when the Lions took another WR. Twice.

11. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

This offense is going to be UNREAL!!!!

12. By rockbo1955 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

this a tremndous pick and I cant wait to see the opposition face when we have four and five reciver sets and this guy in there who you going to double cover and how do you stop it! this guys got a great attitude and is well like by the players and the coaches I can gurantee you he makes the team and becomes another great reciver for the lions! GO LIONS!