Report: Lions DT Nick Fairley arrested again

Posted by ttwentyman on May 27, 2012 – 3:37 pm

The Lions can’t seem to stay away from bad press this offseason.

This time, it’s defensive tackle Nick Fairley – again. Fairley was arrested early Sunday morning for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol and attempting to elude police in Alabama, according to Fox10 in Mobile Ala.

Fairley, a first-round pick last year, was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana last month, also in Mobile, and is awaiting a July arraignment on that charge.

“We are aware of the reports and are in the process of gathering more information,” the Lions said in a statement today.

Fairley was arrested shortly after 1 a.m., according to the report. He was charged with DUI and attempting to elude police, while also being ticketed for reckless driving, no proof of insurance and having an open container.

He posted $1,750 bond.

Along with Fairley’s two arrests, running back Mikel Leshoure was cited twice for possession of marijuana and offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath was also arrested in South Carolina for possession of marijuana.

Receiver Titus Young was involved in a fight with safety Louis Delmas during a training session in which Young punched Delmas. Young has not reported to the teams’ Organized Team Activity practices since.

The Lions continue to make headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz recently downplayed comments that his team might have a discipline problem.

“We’re not playing any games right now,” Schwartz said. “I think that a lot of times when people focus on some things about a team you can miss other things that a team does. We’ll just keep working harder to do better next time.”

56 Responses to “Report: Lions DT Nick Fairley arrested again”

1. By rockbo1955 on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I am very disappointed right now! These same group of players we where counting cant seem to stay out of trouble! this off season makes me really worried and even makes more sense of this year draft you cant have a team if a part of it is in the headlines for the wrong resaon and I know it goes on in other teams as well! and I understand there young and the police our in wait it seems and if it was me i would move out of the south to someplace to get out of lime light its obvious there a drinking problem and now we will start the season with another player not playing for displine rewasons and I am not pointing any fingers at the coach or anybody else they cant watching 24 7 I just wish this will stop or thses guys will be unable to play anywhere because of thier behavior and its the individual player not the team or the coachesI am so diappointed in these players thats all!

2. By Pat on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I just can’t believe it!!!! Do you understand the opportunity in front of you???? Man, I am trying to understand but I can’t!!!!!

3. By lion fan on May 27, 2012 | Reply

fairly what is you thinking??im tired of seeing you associated with bad news..from one man to another…..get yourself together,ota’s just ended…and u already drunk..

4. By Boober on May 27, 2012 | Reply

He doesn’t seem to get it.

5. By Thomas Wodnicki on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Seriously Nick… C’mon MAN!!! You are a PROFESSIONAL football player in the NFL who is going to make over $2.2 million in 2012, not to mention a rolemodel to our youth and this is how you’re going to behave before the season even starts. UNACCEPTABLE!! I’ve been reading all these articles about what “great shape” you are in, and how much potential you have this year. Do you realize how useless to the TEAM you are if your watching on TV like the rest of us because Goodell suspends your butt for the first 4 games. With our bye week 5… looks like we’ll be seeing you in Late October, Hope it was worth it!!

6. By Oldcat on May 27, 2012 | Reply

This is getting ridiculous. It’s a demonstration of immature stupidity when you continue to make poor decisions with your life, with no regard to how your actions affect others. Fairley might have already been facing a suspension of a couple games, but now it’s guarantee and may even be as many as four. Oh well. Apparently he doesn’t think the Lions need him that much. Him and Leshoure should get together for a long vacation together when the season starts. Smoke some joints and pound some drinks and think about how lucky they are.

7. By Grand Rapids Fan on May 27, 2012 | Reply

This is absolutely the dumbest crap Ive ever heard of… Millions of dollars paid to these players, and all they can do is act like morons and make the city of Detroit look bad. I would hope these players are recieving major fines for these incidents. “Hit em in their pockets” Thats the only way they’ll learn … or some serious jail time.

Were trying to win a championship here in Detroit, if you are always part of the problem the get the hell out, trade, bench, let some other team deal with these children!!!

8. By moorefan on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Personally, those team members should be removed from the NFL and the team.
    They are a disgrace to the team and Detroit.

9. By kevin on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Initially I felt the frustration that many have expressed in previous posts. Then I remembered myself at 22 years old and I lacked much of the common sense that I now have in my 30s. I also factor in that many of these incidents involve kids
    that grew up in less than perfect scenarios in highly depressed areas. As far as the marijuana charges, people that grow up and live in the ghetto have a far different perception of the harm of weed. I’m not condoning the many mistakes made by young lions and I would like to see them not messing up. I also know that I am in no position to judge anyone. Just because you give some young man a million dollar contract is not going to gift him insight and common sense.

10. By Chris on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Nick… if you don’t want to play football for the Detroit Lions, just give the money back so it can be spent on players who actually want to be there. Players who can keep their names out of the paper. You are getting paid a stupid amount of money to play a game…a game. This shouldn’t even be an issue, you are making Tim write articles/blogs he shouldn’t even have to report on. I get it, you were ready to leave and you drove, but why are you even driving after drinking anyways? You were just in the news…get someone else to drive. You wanna go and kick it in Alabama with your people, do you, but they know your situation and if they were looking out for you(like your people should be) this wouldn’t have even happened. You need to re-evaluate your surroundings.

11. By Lions Canada on May 27, 2012 | Reply

after this site gave him such a good article… he does this.

12. By Brandon on May 27, 2012 | Reply

get rid of him. seriously. I know he has elite potential but there is no room for this crap on a team that has come so far. I’d rather see him gone than screw up the progress we’ve made

13. By Hogfish on May 27, 2012 | Reply

You got to be kidding me!! Coach and Coaches, we are how far into training camp? Mayhew come on!! Somebody come forward and grab this team and get serious. The Pride of Detroit is becoming the Joke of Detroit. Rehab Fairley. He can not participate until he completes rehab (PERIOD). Charles Rogers revisited.

14. By mike on May 27, 2012 | Reply

This guy just thinks that he is above everything including the team…..now we know why he fell in the draft…oh yes, the 2011 draft, which could go down as one of the worst in Lion’s history. I don’t want to hear about how he is young and the like, he is a problem, a very big problem…….did you hear that according to Cunningham, Aaron Berry is the best cover man ever…and the beat goes on…can anyone say 4-12…….

15. By John on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Need to cut (1) of these fools to send a message to the rest of the team !

16. By Craig Gohm on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Leshore – 2 game suspension
    Fairley – 2-4 game suspension

Sounds about right

Best – out by 2nd game for consussion
    Suh – out in 2-4 games for on-field suspension

Sounds about right

17. By JP O'Flaherty on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I was not for the Fairley pick when it was made. Allot of other potential stars were available, but we took him to make a defensive line which was unstopable. However, since we got him he has been a major nuisance, and distraction to the other players who want to keep on track and make the Lions a WINNER for the firsy time in 50 years. Nick Fairly, what can we get for him? You know if we cut him Oakland, the Jets someone else will snatch him up. But what can we get in a trade for a problem child? I mean “CHILD” what childish behavior for a potential pro-football player. Right now he is a drunk, drug addict, and an overall waste. I am sick and tired of all these spoiled, coddled pro athletes who are overpaid, get preferential treatment, and think they are above the law. I hope the Lions setup a trade to run this trouble maker out of town, and get us players who want to play football, and don’t need to have babysitters!

18. By Craig Gohm on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I’m just wondering what Titus Young does Next to get replaced by Broyles

19. By Craig Gohm on May 27, 2012 | Reply

IMO he currently holds the #1 spot for the “C’ MON MAN!!!” player of the year.

20. By ghost on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I guess it is hard to assess character when you are drafting. This could not be the first time he was using. He must have been doing it in college, why was he not caught then>?

21. By Mark on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I thought we were trying to build this team in the mold of Pittsburgh or something. Looks like we’re gonna become the Bengals of the north. Sad…….

22. By Lunn64 on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I have tried to take these as isolated incidents by young, dumb albeit talented football players. These latest shenanigans have me questioning whether we have a systemic problem. Are these incidents being taken seriously enough by the Lions as an organization? If they are, then why are “second chances” not enough for these guys? The bottom line is, it’s time for Schwartz to send a message. And if that message is in the form of getting rid of an otherwise good football player, then I say send it.

I can’t sit idly by and watch the football team I’ve loved since childhood implode on the eve of what has the potential to be a great era for this club. Locker room cancers come in many forms and if the boys can’t trust one of their own to put the team before himself, then rid us of the cancer.

23. By Craig Gohm on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I’m wondering if Young might have been first on Coach Schwartz’s ,” Enough with this S#%T”..list.

24. By Anon on May 28, 2012 | Reply

I don’t care what these guys do in their free time, everyone does stupid things when they are young but how do you keep getting caught. Stay inside and sober up. If you win no one will care, but you can’t win if you are in jail or suspended.

25. By ElReyDeLeon on May 28, 2012 | Reply

What a waste! What a f-n waste! Our team could’ve been so much better defensively if we had passed on this bum last year a gotten Patrick Peterson, or anyone else for that matter. I could tell on draft day that he was a slacker and now he’s proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt. This is Charles Rogers all over again. The sad part about it is we can’t even trade this bum. We’ll have to cut him and just eat the salary cap hit, cuz this dude is a cancer. What got-dayum waste! Do the right thing Mayhew and Schwartz, and Lewand. Cut this dude. NOW!!!!

26. By Biskittc on May 28, 2012 | Reply

The string of arrests for marijuana possesion amongst Lions players was very disappointing, and the Titus Young fight was disturbing to say the least, but this is beyond the pale. Leading police on a high-speed chase while drinking & driving is a good way to get someone killed. To do it with an open container and no license, on the heels of a misdemeanor for marijuana possession, no less – these stupid, selfish players are going to ruin the Lions’ season before the first ball is snapped. I was looking forward to seeing what a healthy Suh-Fairley tandem could do – but Fairley needs to spend some time behind bars like any ordinary person would for what he’s done. Maybe then he’ll learn to grow up and act like an adult. What would be much more effective than anything else would be if the league adopted some strict bylaws that hit players HARD in the wallet for stuff like this – and when I say HARD, I mean something like one-tenth of the player’s annual salary for getting busted for marijuana possession, and for a stunt like Fairley’s, dock him half a year’s salary or even more. What’s a $50K fine to someone making millions?

27. By Tpreddie on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Fairley and the 2011 draft class needs to wake up! Im tired of them complaining about bein held accountable to rules that every other working American gets held too! Fairley and the baby bad crew needs to go take a visit over to Mr. Rodgers neighborhood, Charles that is! They need to ask him what it is like to go down the path that he went down. They are a couple more arrest from being there!

I wouldnt mind if the Lions got rid of Fairley, I wanted them to draft Prince, or Solder that year anyway! But I would like to see him get his life together

28. By Blue32 on May 28, 2012 | Reply

This saddens me deaply I love the sport love Detroit , we all make mistakes , but if i were a millionare I would try not to act like a jailhouse punk, go to the gym help the homeless feed the poor build a house for a vetran , anything but act like a jailhouse punk

29. By Sheryl on May 28, 2012 | Reply

What the heck? Don’t these guys get it? They are role models for thousands of kids and other fans out there. The don’t do as I do, do as I say thing isn’t getting it. Pull yourself together people and show a little pride in yourself. Come on, Schwartz, fine em or get on them some how and stop this crap. Grow up players. No respect here for these guys yet.

30. By kevin on May 28, 2012 | Reply

I have to say the persons I’m most disappointed with are the coaches and other powers that be. Schwartz doesn’t seem to be sending a strong enough message. These young people continue to demonstrate that they don’t need to follow the rules. Titus Young punching a teammate then not reporting back to ota’s is also kind of disturbing.

31. By k-man on May 28, 2012 | Reply

This is no laughing matter, even though by the look on Fairley’s mug shot he thinks it is. How ’bout thinking about the rest of the team who’s working so damn hard to prove to everyone they are contenders for a Super Bowl ring. If Fairley is so immature that he can think only about himself, how ’bout returning the millions of dollars the Lions are paying him to the Detroit public school system, where I’m sure there are lots of kids who would die for the chance he has to make it as a pro football star in the NFL. It’s not just unexcusable, it’s downright sad. I feel bad for the fans, but most of all for all the rest of the team whom Fairley has let down.

32. By Ron on May 28, 2012 | Reply

What hurts the most is that the organization, as a whole, seems to be so lackadaisical about the whole thing. Even during the season last year, when stupid bone-headed plays were costing the Lions valuable wins, the team did little or nothing. If this kind of crap is ever going to end, it is when the organization starts doing something about it. Telling reporters how disappointed they are in the players is NOT a punishment.

33. By Grand Rapids Fan on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Im pretty sure fleeing and eluding is a felony, not sure about in Alabama laws but I dont think Fairley can get out of this so easily. He already has a marijuana case pending and now DUI and trying to run… I dunno about you but in MI you’d get the max. And Im sure Mobile Alabama will want to use this as free publicity for their town. We may not see Fairley for some time… Unless the justice system can be bought, which im sure we have all seen before with NFL players. What has happened to the NFL??? THE MORE YOU PAY THESE PLAYERS, THE BIGGER ASS THEY BECOME!!!

34. By Lee Deschamps on May 28, 2012 | Reply

cut him, and use the salary saved to get a free agent corner back?

35. By stephanie on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey the league needs to stop paying all these young players all the big bucks until the get startedand prove the deserve they belong in nfl. It hurts everyone exspecally the veterens who work and show up for work.

36. By UnknownWriter on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Fairley needs to lose some serious pay besides all the suspensions he’s facing. He also needs to do some jail time in Alabama and not released just because he’s a NFL player.

37. By UnknownWriter on May 28, 2012 | Reply

LOS ANGELES (LALATE) – A new Nick Fairley … was released today [by the Detroit Lions] after the Detroit Lions star attempted to elude police. Nick Fairley was all smiles in his mug shot picture after he was arrested by Alabama State Troopers Sunday. Fairley is currently released on bond.

Why can’t this be the headline story now?

38. By mike on May 28, 2012 | Reply

In the booking photo he looks like he is having a great time….like he knows that the Lions won’t do a thing to him in terms of discipline….sounds too familiar……

39. By Munkey on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Theres the right track and the wrong track. Mayhew needs to steer this ship back on course. Sorry Marty, but the Super Bowl is NOT on the wrong track.

40. By lionsrulenfl on May 28, 2012 | Reply

what a huge disappointment man,we need this guy to step up this yr and all he has done is spit in the organizations face.This is not cincinnati fairley,this is detroit.A town trying to assemble a team to win a championship.Get a friggin clue man or get the F out!!! So pissed!!

41. By CJ on May 28, 2012 | Reply

I can only hope that the Lions leadership will tire quickly of his antics and make him a short-term memory in the NFL. Flush the turd soon before he stinks up the entire joint, we’ve got winning football games to look forward to without paying for a overpriced moron.

42. By john on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Isn’t there a morals clause in these guys contracts? That nug shot of Farley looked like he was feeling no pain.

43. By juquan cribbs on May 28, 2012 | Reply

I guess the younger you are the dumber you are. Suh sould just sit down and talk to him and Calvin talk to Titus.

44. By Kenny on May 28, 2012 | Reply

One word ” Stupidity”

45. By mose on May 29, 2012 | Reply

How about a fan poll on Fairley. Should we keep him or cut him? I think it would end with 95% saying cut him.

46. By Dave S on May 29, 2012 | Reply

This continuing embarrassment, of the franchise we all bleed for, must end before we see the Lions fall apart as quickly as they have found respect. Are the Lion’s hands tied by the union or the NFL? It doesn’t make any sense that the Ford’s would let this go on and let this franchise be tarnished again. We did not go through all the years of agony and heartache to see this progress get derailed by rich immature 22 year olds. Please Mr. Ford, don’t let this real chance of respectability get away.

47. By twizardt on May 29, 2012 | Reply

It’s we Fairley exactly what he wants, time off to party! Trade his *ss, now!

48. By Ricog on May 29, 2012 | Reply

This young man did not show me much last year!!
    I think since he can’t stay out of trouble, Start with a heavy fine.
    The Bad Boy’s in basket ball were tough on the floor!! This man is
    suppose to have kid’s look up to him, not acting like a punk. I’m an
    older man who was around when the lion’s were respected in the
    40′s and 50′s I went into the Koren war proud to be a Detroiter !! I
    came out and had season ticket’s for more than 30 yr’s, Now i’m
    older and I watch other team’s The Patroit’s and Dallas and Pitt.
    I would like to get my Pride back and we are playing better with
    this Coach!! I know he is trying

49. By carol wadsworth on May 29, 2012 | Reply

my idea on how to punish them!!!! take them to jail, do not let them post bond keep them there untill their hearing. thenif there is a problem with them whining , oh well!! if they lose their job, !! oh well they should think about that before getting into trouble, if they want a job bad enough they will think twice about what they want to do when they are out playing around, the one that didnt have proof of insurance ** how dumb is that, all the money they make and cant buy insurance, that is really dumb.and to put the whole team up for people to start talking bad about not just one or two guys they put the whole team down and it,s not fair to the rest of the guy,s that are not doing these kind of things. what an embarrasing situationfor them. if i get caught doing something bad shame on me but if i do it the second time, put em in jail.if they get jail time after their hearing so be it, they need to pay for what they have done, then it,s GOOD BY JOB , they can find someone else to take your place, yes u– can be replaced.i am ashamed of those two that got in trouble. i thought we had a good thing going here.and all the guy,s were ok., guess i was wrong. and jim schwartz is too soft on them. he needs to be more stearn with them.sorry jim, but u are a great coach and i like you alot. things will get better. promise. thank u tim ive said my piece.

50. By the ghost on May 29, 2012 | Reply

CJ makes a good comment. Flush the turd. I wish the turd would read what we all think about him. Anyway to cut him means a cap penalty for us. I don’t think he deserves being traded. Just keep him on a minimum contract on the practice squad until he is old or grows up. But these guys have been pampered through HS and college and now they think they can still do whatever they want in the pros. The league might suspend him for four games we should suspend him for eight. The super bowl is not worth this kind of crap. Send a message that if we have to four-fit the SB in order to have discipline it will be worth it in the long run. If a guy in the military basic training screwed up we were all punished and you better believe we all punished him after light out.

51. By UnknownWriter on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Fairley is only a vital part of the team’s future in his own mind. A ever growing number of Detroit fans want to see Fairley packing. He does not possess the talent or love for the game needed to be even a descent DT. In the 12 games Fairley played in last year, Detroit went 6-6 on a year that they went 10-6 over all. Fairley rarely put the pressure on opposing QB’s which Detroit’s defense needs to be effective. Fairley’s ineffectiveness while in games have some fans silently associating the word ‘bust’ with him. With him facing possible jail time and at least a 4 game suspension, possibly up to 8 games, Fairley’s future in Detroit is more than in doubt AS IT SHOULD BE!

52. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

This guy is a real piece of work! WOW Nick, smh…..

53. By Miichael on May 30, 2012 | Reply

It’s simple trade nick and cut your loses before you have another albert haynesworth on your hands!!

54. By john white on May 31, 2012 | Reply

nick, im a life long lions fan, and when they drafted you i was so excited, but now t

that you’ve put yourself in this position im really starting to rethink my position

i won’t give up on you but here’s some advice from a 53 year old father of four

take this situation and learn from it, think about the kind of man you want to be

and you will get there, you’ve been a dedicated football player now put that same

energy into your self to become a better man. football is short term at best your

life should be long term so slow down and live it. I know you can do it it’s all about

want to, want to be an all pro, want to be a man your kids will look up to and be

proud of, alot of people believe in you now go make us proud.

55. By the ghost on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Very wise words for the young man, john white. As I’ve said before and will say again, the players don’t care and don’t read these posts, especially the young know it all spoiled brat players. This always brings a wave of protests and angry responses but I have never seen anything that will show me they read what we think.

56. By Chris on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Very dissapointed! The Lions may have “W’s” in the win column but they still have many “L’s” in the LOSER colum! Go back to Barry and get some class! One violation…understandable but more than that is unacceptable! Swartz mentioned a 3 and out system and I think now its time to apply that off the field as well. Ridiculous!