Posted by ttwentyman on June 13, 2012 – 10:36 am

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has been through tough negotiations before and says there’s a process to long-term contract talks like the ones the Lions are currently having with defensive end Cliff Avril.

“I’ve been through this before,” Mayhew told reporters before Wednesday’s minicamp practice. “There’s no panic button. We don’t panic. The plan is to get a long-term deal done with him and the (franchise) tender is out there and has always been available.”

The Lions have until July 16 to negotiate a long-term deal or Avril will be required to play the 2012 season under the one-year $10.6 million franchise tag.

“There’s a lot that goes on with that,” Mayhew said of the negotiations. “It’s a very complicated deal. It takes time to get some of these deals done. I wouldn’t say I’m surprised it’s not done now. I think its very complex and those guys are doing an outstanding job continuing to have dialogue.”

Lions president Tom Lewand has been the lead negotiator on the deal with Avril’s agent Brian Mackler, but Mayhew said he’s had dialogue with both.

“There’s a lot of dialogue that goes on. I think Tom has done an outstanding job with that. Brian Mackler is doing an outstanding job. I think Cliff is being very level headed.

“I don’t think the ball is in anybody’s court. The ball is in everybody’s court.  We’re trying to get a long-term deal done with Cliff. It’s a process.”

The clock is ticking a little more than a month from the deadline.

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Lions GM Martin Mayhew says the ball is in everyone’s court to get deal done with Avril”

1. By littlelionluver on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

Alright fellas, is there any way we can get this deal done to bring in one of our team leaders for the end of camp. I know he is staying in shape, but it is not the same as him showing Hammer how to move or giving Riley a big-league talent to block. He is being kind of selfish, but most professional athletes are. He also deserves fair market value and be secure for the rest of his life after the numbers he put up last year. Shame on both sides of this issue, pay the man fairly and save enough so we can add enough talent to bring a ring home for the first time since 1958. Get together for us fans would you please. We need Cliff, but not at an extreme cost. Hey, how about 7.5 million a year, that sounds pretty fair to me. It probably sounds crazy to the 10% of this state that are unemployed and can’t find any work, but still pay good money to come see our team play.

2. By phil on Jun 14, 2012 | Reply

i am sick and tired of these athletes saying they want security. for pete sakes.how much security does 10 almost 11 million give. just that contract should give anyone a lifetime secure feeling.
    i dont think avril has done enough to warrant a huge contract from the lions. he shoudl sign the offer and prove them wrong. then he will be available to anyone who wants to pay him 75 million which is proposterous.

3. By DAVE on Jun 14, 2012 | Reply

Pleas Cliff buddy.I know you are looking towards your future,but man I would love to see you out there with the guys up front.A total explosion from all of you big monsters equals greatness for all.I’d like to see Detroit keep bringing the D to D-town.Now also Lions organization please be fair with him.To have another talent in the prime of his career would make this man smile for many years to come.Throw in some incentives based on production.That way you as lions organization will get what ya pay for and Cliff Avril can keep striving for greatness and be more goal oriented.If you need help with negotiations let me know. SIncerely Your LIONS FAN FOR LIFE Dave Goudreau

4. By LionLarry on Jun 16, 2012 | Reply

Cliff, just keep on doing what you did last year and you’ll get the attention that you’re craving.One year maybe doesn’t do it. I’ve been working for 30 years dude. You’ll get a little at a time like the rest of us. I do like the job you’re doing, just think of the team a little more…..GO BIG CATS!!

5. By UnknownWriter on Jun 18, 2012 | Reply

One of the things that keeps coming up from both sides, communications. Everybody needs to keep talking even if it’s just to say hello and remind everyone else that you care. Shifting income to years where the salary cap looks to be high compared to contracts that are already signed could be valuable in closing this deal. Just because one party wants money front loaded or back loaded doesn’t mean something else can’t be worked out. In the words of Larry the Cable Guy, “GIT-R-DONE!”

6. By GrouchySmurf on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Avril,

I’d strongly urge you to do yourself and your career a favor, and go to a different Agent to get a second opinion about both the new cap and your FA prospects. You’re a very good player, but you’re not Mario Williams. So why do you want Mario Williams money? My guess is because your agent keeps repeating your contract year stats over and over to the point that you’ve forgotten why your stats are what they are.

If this is the case, consider this: what do you want out of your NFL career? Where do you think you would land as a FA? Let’s assume your agent gets you the money you want, but from a team that expects 12 plus sacks a year from you on a weak or average DL unit? Are you ready for all the Hate your new teams press and fans will heap on you if you have an off year, or an injury?

Last. Your agent is NOT your pal. He’s working on a simple profit motive, even more so than the front office guys. Your long term success and career are not what pays his bills, and if you imagine that the extra $300-500,000 he stands to make if you LEAVE isn’t a motive, then I wish you’d email me, as I have a Bridge to Canada that I’m willing to sell you.. CHEAP!

Grouchy