Stafford checks in at No. 14 on Jaworski list of top QBs; Do you agree?

Posted by ttwentyman on June 27, 2012 – 12:51 pm

ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski has put together a list of his top 30 NFL quarterbacks. ESPN has been counting down his list – one per day – over the last couple weeks.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has checked in at No. 14 on Jaworski’s list. That means Stafford is a middle-of-the-road quarterback in Jaworski’s book.

Do you agree?

Jaworski defended his selection by saying Stafford hasn’t yet proven his durability. Jaworski is right, Stafford missed 19 games due to injury his first two seasons and played an entire 16-game schedule for the first time just last year.

But in that one year, Stafford became just the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for than 5,000 yards in a season (5,038) and chipped in 41 touchdowns. He also led the Lions to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

Stafford’s sample size is small, but it was a pretty impressive sample size. Was it enough to get him into the top 10? I think so.

I look at it this way, if I were starting a franchise and was looking for a quarterback to lead it, are there 13 quarterbacks I’d want before Stafford. My answer to that is certainly no.

On the Twentyman list (which doesn’t mean a whole lot), Stafford falls in at No. 6 right behind Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

Jaworski said another season like the one Stafford had last year, though, and he’d shoot up his rankings next year.

58 Responses to “Stafford checks in at No. 14 on Jaworski list of top QBs; Do you agree?”

1. By Phillip on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Jaws is a nice guy but a complete moron so I think this is a good sign for stafford who’s quite obviously top 5-10 qb

2. By YooperLionsFan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

it’s ridiculous to even think he lies that low. He is at least a top 10, no matter which way you look at it

3. By Dave Jakes on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Maybe he means 14th all-time? : /

4. By Ed on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Lions never get any respect from writers. If stafford was a steeler or cowboy he would be top 5. No questions asked…

5. By okieviacal on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Honestly, keep the disrespect and bulletin board material coming. He passed for 5000 yards at age 23. Pretty sure he’ll make Jaws look like Cris Carter before the New Year.

6. By Jon on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

It’s amazing that someone like Jaworski, who never came close to putting up the statistical numbers that Mathew Stafford did last year would have any credibility as an authority. If you look at the only 3 other players to ever throw for 5000 yards were much older that Stafford when they accomplished it. His first full year. He was also the first QB as a rookie to throw for 5 TD’s in a single game. Insulting list at best.

7. By Andrea L. Molinari on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

If Stafford played for the NY Giants or NY Jets, I wonder where he would be ranked?

The bottom line: Who cares where Stafford gets ranked? Anyone who watched him play last year should know that, right now, Stafford is the best QB in Detroit Lions HISTORY. Period.

8. By kyle on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Ron Jaworski is so wrong it should hurt his credibility as an analyst… I am a Detroit Lions fan, and my non-biased opinion even though I am a fan would put Stafford in the top, even more top five or just outside of it. And in a couple years when he is the next elite qb hopefully he gets the recognition he deserves.

9. By shane on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

While I also agree he should fall under the Top 10 I think it’s difficult to use his passing yards as measurable as his other achievements. When you look at how low the Rushing Yards were this past season the high number of passing yards make perfect sense and seems to make his passing yards a less remarkable feat, in my opinion. However, he still looks great with the Lion’s weapons and I think he will only continue to grow.

10. By Jack Lasley on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Fourteen is too low. I have him in the seven to nine range.

11. By Emory 777 on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

The 14th best quarterback selection is a little premature considering his short career thus far. If Stafford stays healthy and continues to put up the numbers he recently has done, that stat will change fast.

12. By Jack Lasley on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see how it matters what has happened before today. List me thirteen quarterbacks you would rather have than Matt Stafford as of today.

13. By andrew on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Matthew Stafford does NOT belong 14th, but in the top 10. Ron Jaworski is an ignorant lowlife sonofabitch/bastard. Stafford will silence the naysayers and have their lives finishing on 900 SAD NOTE.

14. By Ryan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I’d like to see the rest of this list…. what other 13 QBs are ahead of him?

I’d put Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers ahead of him for sure. Eli Manning has 2 Super Bowls so people consider him better (Giants win Super Bowls with defense and desperate offense).

That would leave Matt at 7th….. who are the other 7 QBs better than him? Cam Newton? If you’re going to say Matt’s stat span is short you can’t put a rookie ahead of him. Mike Vick? Injury prone as well. Jay Culter? Injury prone and interception city. Tony Romo? Choke city. Even if you think these four are better than him, leaves him in 11th….. WHO ELSE?

15. By Oldcat on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

If Stafford’s durability remains the issue, all anyone needs to do is look at the many hard hits he took last year, brushed off, and continued to stand tall in the pocket. I think if you asked the defensive opponents that sacked Stafford last year whether he can take some punishment, they’ll all agree he’s as tough as they come. Stafford’s injuries were just a simple case of unfortunate happenstance. Those exact injuries could have happened to any QB. There isn’t a single player that wouldn’t have sustained injury from the impacts that caused Stafford to miss games. It’s ludicrous to suggest he’s injury prone. And with all that said, how Stafford not be at least a legitimate top ten or better QB at this stage?

16. By Alex on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Stafford is one of the most underrated quarterbacks in the nfl. He threw over 5,000 yards, 41 TDs and cut down on the intereptions. IN his first full season, he did exactly what every fan loves. Getting his team to the playoffs. I personally think stafford rates in the top 5.I would lovetlook at ugly list and see guys who didnt thhrow 5000 yards and 41 touchdowns. I would hate to see guys like Tony Romo or Alex Smith on that list because they didnt do what matthew stafford did as far as I remember. Stafford is clearly the most under rated QB in the entire league. People give all the credit to the amazing Calvin Jonson but who is the great QB throwing the ball to Megatron? I think matt is better than Eli Manning, but just beause eli’s last name is manning it shouldt make him the best QB of all time. so next time you rate my quarterback, you better rate him right.

17. By Lance Manly on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Jaworski’s is an I-D-I-O-T.

No need to comment on everything an I-D-I-O-T says or writes.

To say a QB that is ONE of FOUR to throw for 5,000 yards is #15 is stupidity.

Name the other 14 above him; and compare their best year after three season to Stafford.

Aaron Rodgers didn’t even play first 3 years.

So; ignore Jawaorski… I do.

18. By lions fan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

it is crazy to think he is not top ten qb! your telling me that there are 13 qb you would take before stafford thats ludacris!

19. By Lance Manly on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Any honest; even with a slant vs the Lions, would have to have Stafford in Top 10.

Period.

Any lower is purely an insult or ignorance.

20. By Michael Garrett on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

The more ex-NFL players talk, the more it affirms that they don’t know much more than the casual football fan. Between the overly concussed ex-players on NFLNet and those of limited knowledge on ESPN, I’m surprised that they even knew that Detroit has an NFL team.

21. By Ivofive0 on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Ron is def. smoking something!! There is no way he can name me 13 better QB than Matt Stat (even if he only put up number 1 year). I figured he would put him pretty low though since CAM was 15 which is also terrible. But i think at the end of the day he and everyone else knows that MATT will be an elite QB in everyone eyes soon enough. So if he wants to put Matt Ryan ( who couldnt put up a point last year in the playoffs) or Josh Freeman (who had a terrible year last season & who Ron will probably have next on his list) ahead of a guy that threw for 41 TDs n led a team with pretty much no D and No run game to the 4th rank passing offense in the league then something is seriously wrong with the way a TOP QB is rated.

22. By Drew St. Louis on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Remember what happened when Chris Carter said that Calvin Johnson wasn’t a top 5 receiver?

Yeah jaws not only get ready to eat your words but hear about it all season, cause this was even more stupid of a ranking that Johnson at 6.

23. By TJ on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I agree, Matt Stafford should definitely be ranked as the #14 QB of all time. They are right in that his sample size body of work is still very short at this point, but clearly he’s headed for elite H.O.F. numbers.

Wait, #14 QB of THIS YEAR? Crazy …

24. By Chad on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Jaworski is an idiot

25. By Keith on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Obviously they didn’t look at his stats… the kid is about the age of Cam Newton and threw for over 5,000 yards 41 tds and had a 63.5 completion %. One could argue him to be in the top 5 qbs. This writer just wants attention… yeah how about I make an article about how Eli Manning is the 20th best qb and then it may get published right next to this awesome article… lol

26. By Brian J. Benoit on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Mathew Stafford is getting no respect in this league. He was the 3rd alternate for the Pro Bowl. How does a guy throw for 5000 yards which is only the 4th time in the history of the NFL and he is the 3rd alternate for the Pro Bowl? I just don’t get it.

27. By john on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

they may knock him because he doesn’t run but when u can pass like hime why run.I have him at 4 behind P manning brady breese

28. By Little on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Mathew knows where he is at, and we all know how good he is. Lets see, the record book has him in it @#5 for most yards thrown in a season, and 30 touchdowns has got to be considered a solid effort. Lions all-time leader in a few catagories too. Maybe Jaws can’t read or all those gig hits he took in Philadelphia are finally catching up to him. Brees, Brady, Ryan, Rivers, Rogers, and Vick (maybe) are the only ones who are close to 9Staff. The Mannings are overrated extremely, Cam Newton needs a little polish, and everyone else just doesn’t have what Stafford has: Arm, accuracy, intelligence, and heart. I am not saying he’s the best in the NFL, but he is the best in the history of Detroit football and atleast top 7 in the league currently. Jaworski is like every one else not from Michigan, they just love to hate us. Make him look like a fool and put up 6K next year 9!!!

29. By Little on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

correction on previous post, Stafford is number 4 all-time in yards, SORRY MATTHEW!

30. By Ryan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

this guy infuriates me….14? that’s ridiculous. he should retire now. No more lists for that guy…

31. By Michael Garrett on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Well, maybe Jaws should join the list of former players suing the league regarding concussions because he’s certainly had one too many! There aren’t 14 QB’s in the league who could adequately back up Stafford. RIDICULOUS!

32. By Tom on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Ahh, what’s Jawarski know? I watched every game of Stafford’s last year and I would put him in fourth, above Eli and Big Ben. They’re good but they will never pass for 5000 yards. His injuries were flukes. I don’t think he missed any games at all in college.

33. By Roger on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Ron Jaworski doesn’t make my top 14 NFL analysts. But, he is a top anal ist.

34. By Gary on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I have had it with the lack of respect stafford has gotten. He is the air apparent to Tom Brady,anyone who has watched this game for any length of time, can see the command he has over this offense is unmatched in this league, if healthy will throw for 5500 yards and 45 td’s, mark it down and call me in febuary ron. All you guys not.vare a joke.

35. By lionmike on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

It’s a pretty lame list that doesn’t count for much. I just take it with a grain of salt, but have lost a little respect for the opinion of Jaws. It’s not even the #14 ranking (which I do disagree with) but it the reasoning and the people still to come ahead of him. If there was one game to win, how many people would take Romo, Vick, Cutler, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Rivers, Luck, RGIII or Flacco? These are all QB’s that haven’t been named on his list, so I’m assuming he has them ranked higher than Stafford, which is just wrong.

The durability issue is why he was there instead of “top 10″, but it’s lame too. People that haven’t watched Stafford say they want to see it more than one year. If that’s the case, go back and study the film and stats of the 2010 season. He put up similar stats per game as to what he did last year. The games he finished that year, we won. The games he left injured, we were winning when he came out. It’s not a one year wonder like people like to make it out to be. If that were the criteria, why is Cam Newton one spot below him with fewer games and far less impressive stats and wins in that period of time?

36. By Nate on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I honestly think that is ok. Yes it was an amazing season. Yes I think there will be plenty more. But we do have to remember, Stafford is REALLY young. Lets let him mature into that great QB we all want, not force it to fast. Personally I prefer people to think we have an average QB. 2 years time and they will be eating those words.

37. By Adam on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

5,000+ yards and 41 touchdowns. Instant top five, not to mention that stretch of several weeks with the broken finger didn’t help.

38. By nasty on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

1 aaron rodgers
    2 tom brady
    3 drew brees
    4 peyton manning
    5 phillip rivers
    6 where i would put stafford. eli manning
    7 matt schaub
    8 big ben
    9 matt ryan
    10 micheal vick
    11 joe flacco
    12 jay cutler
    13 im guessing he has romo ahead of stafford which is a joke

im thinking these are the qbs he has ahead of stafford.

39. By miamidice on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Jaworski has to wait until durability is established? And here I thought his ranking might be on performance. Little did I know. How much weight does he then give durability?

His ranking is silly at best…which is a kind wrd for plain foolish.

Staffor has to be ranked at least #5 and very probably #4. He shows me more than Rivers. I can concede Brady/Rodgers/Brees. But I won’t give on anyone else.

40. By nighttrain1 on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Jaworski has Stafford ranked 14th only because he is a Detroit Lion, jaworski’s ranking has nothing whatsoever to do with Stafford staying healthy and putting up the same kind of stats again to move up on the list. Cam newton in his first year is 15th, Jay cutler is above Stafford and he didn’t stay healthy, Cutler got hurt and missed 6 games but Jaworski didn’t move him down the list for not playing the full year., only Drew Brees did better than Stafford, not Brady, Rodgers, hasselbeck, or Manning, and Manning won the Superbowl, but during the year Stafford outplayed him also. Jaworski in his entire career never did as good as stafford did in his first full year. Jaworski is really saying that he thinks Stafford and the Lions season was a fluke and it will never happen again. Jaworski ranked Stafford 14th because he’s a Lion, period.

41. By jim kowalski on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Let’s just relax for a minute. This is a list that doesn’t mean anything at all. Just one person’s opinion. We know we have a great young player leading our team, and that is all that matters. If anything, Jaws did us a favor by ranking him 14th. Matthew is a competitor and it may give him a little more drive this year. Not that he needs it, he has his sights set on a World Championship. If our team stays reasonably healthy (running backs) we have a good shot at winning the division and making a deep playoff run. That is the most important thing.

42. By Aron on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Agree with almost every statement made. If Stafford isn’t top 5, he’s top 10 minimum no matter how you look at it.

Aside from his amazing stats, he brings something else, highlighted by Durant’s recent comment in his blog:

“Let’s bring another element to the already exciting Detroit Lions. We are trying to get to the Superbowl this year. The countdown to training camp has begun…”

They try to get to the superbowl every year, right? Difference is, with Stafford they win, with wins they have confidence, and with confidence comes the belief that they WILL win the superbowl. Stafford gives them the poise and confidence that they can and will win, no matter the odds or how far they are behind – that intangible is maybe more important than any stat. Players aren’t just going through the motions this year – they’re on a mission!

43. By ajb in GR on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

unbelieveable that Jawarski feels that matt shaub is better then Matthew what a disrespectfull ranking what is that guy thinking something like this and we are supposed to respect his list what a joke

44. By Rick on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I thought this was an all-time list. If so 14 would be close, but for guys playing right now? Come on.

I don’t think any NFL or GM would let him stand there for 13 picks if they had a QB draft tomorrow. I just wish the opposing teams DC ranked him 14th, then they’d see the scoreboard light up.

45. By Kenn Morris on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Jaworski, he’s in the top 5. Calvin was voted #3 best player Ron! Look at the film … not taking anything from Calvin but if you look closely the ball was where it should have been every time! How many accurate throws did he make while peddling backwards and under pressure. Com’on man, at little more respect!!

46. By UnknownWriter on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Naming the QB I would rather have than Stafford is not the same as ranking the top QB’s. For the most part, the QB’s that are more skilled than Stafford are older than he is. I would not give up Stafford’s age/skill set for anybody older. I want Detroit to be SB worthy for a long time, not just this year or next ala Peyton Manning in Denver. But I would easily have Stafford in the top 8 if not higher.

47. By Ryan on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

This is coming from a guy with an overall career QB rating of 72.8.

I really don’t care what this guy thinks. Shitty football career, shitty analyst career, and shit list maker. Go back to managing golf courses old man.

48. By kagney on Jun 30, 2012 | Reply

Stafford slept on just like other lions, 13 qb’s ahead of Matt stop it. Cliff Avril not on thetop 100 list lions hated on really.

49. By Michael on Jun 30, 2012 | Reply

Jaworski is obviously an idiot…he has Matt Ryan 2 spots ahead of Stafford and he(Ryan) just broke the 4000 yard mark last year…Stafford, without the running game that Atlanta has, put up 5000 in his 1st full year. If you go ahead and put Rodgers, Brees, and Brady ahead of him and you can’t really count Peyton until we see what he has left after 3 neck surgeries, you CAN’T name 5 much less 10 other QB’s that are better. Maybe the reason Jaws isn’t on MNF any longer is because of rediculous statements such as this

50. By moliver21006 on Jul 3, 2012 | Reply

I think that I’ve come to the conclussion along time ago that the lions will never get the respect that they deserve bc of our bad times. But I always try to look at it this way, true lions fans know what kind of players we have and know that our team is gonna take us to the top. So anything else that anyone says about “ranking ” any of the players can just suck it!!

51. By Dan on Jul 4, 2012 | Reply

I agree with everyone’s comments regarding this stupid list.
    We all need to remember that Matt Millen is also an analyst and football “expert”
    The best way to shut up all the morons is on the field.

52. By emanuel saunders on Jul 4, 2012 | Reply

this guy is a joke 14 lets get realistic espn didnt have nothing to do with this no count bum guess u have to fill sportscenter with some kind of junk top 30 gb

53. By Shane D on Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

jaworski is a complete idiot what did he ever do besides playu for a sorry ass eagles team he neve won nothen and certainly never threw for anbything close to resembling 5 k yards .. at best jaws is a second rate QB he needs to shut his face and be happy anyone even knows who he is and thatys only because he works for the ESPN UH duuuurrrrrrrr shut your mouth jaws …u wanna be has been

54. By Shane D on Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

And further more …13 is so ridiculously idiotic … u cant even justify it so u come up woith oh to me he hasnt proven hiswhat the F *** ever lame excuse u gave jaws shut your mouth and sit next to chris beerman and mr jackson hell even mike ditka with ur wanna be status and jealous envy of three and keep ur mouth shut u ……… HEEEYYY MOORON URRRRRRR FIIIIIIIRRRRED

55. By mike on Jul 6, 2012 | Reply

you guy are defending stafford like he is a little brother.look at the setup he has been in the league 3 year and has about 7000 yards and around 50 TD. that is not a top 10 QB even if you like him and I do, one great season don’t make a great QB, or have all you people forgot a guy by the name of SCOTT MITCHELL.

56. By moliver21006 on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

There are great QB’s that haven’t ever had a season like Stafford’s. This is just the begining of all the great things that he and the Lions will do.

57. By UnknownWriter on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Ok, Stafford’s 1st game in 2011 was only his 14th game in this league. Basically, he was still a rookie when he started the 2011 season. He ended his 2011 campaign in a very elite club of 5,000 yard QB’s.

When watching Stafford, sometimes I see signs of brilliance. I have seen him make passes few other QB’s could make. I have also seen signs of youth. I have seen him throw short where the WR had to adjust big time to make the catch. You’ll see less of the youthful inexperience come the 2012 season. Hopefully, Titus Young will finally blossom and learn to catch all balls that hit his hands. We might be looking at the first 6,000 yard passer in league history. And I’m glad Detroit has him.

58. By dcleve126 on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

I look at that list and say ok his opinion I know Detroit has a great QB the only improvement I would like to see is that he not try and force some passes and know when to change a play and find more of his secondary options. In other words broarden a play to its max.