Fairley trying to make amends by attending Rookie Symposium

Posted by ttwentyman on June 28, 2012 – 11:25 am

Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley wasn’t able to attend the NFL’s Rookie Symposium last year because of the lockout.

After two offseason arrests for marijuana possession and DUI, Fairley probably would have benefited from the league’s four-day orientation that advises the NFL newest players on everything from the NFL’s legacy and tradition, character and leadership, player safety and financial planning as well as social and professional responsibility.

In the wake of his offseason run-ins with law enforcement, Fairley placed a special request to the NFL to attend the second half of this week’s symposium for AFC rookies in Cleveland. The NFC rookies, including the Lions’ seven draft picks, completed their session on Wednesday. Fairley was granted special permission by the league to attend as a second-year player and began the symposium on Wednesday.

“Nick knows that his actions will speak louder than his words in accepting responsibility and moving forward,” Lions president Tom Lewand told detroitlions.com Thursday. “Asking to attend this year’s symposium is clearly a positive action and a step in the right direction.”

According to reports, Fairley’s attorney electronically filed an appearance on Fairley’s behalf for an arraignment Thursday morning in Mobile, Ala., on his DUI charge. Fairley plead not guilty with a trial date set for 30-45 days. It’s now clear why Fairley couldn’t attend that arraignment himself.

Fairley is facing a possible suspension by the NFL for his offseason choices. Lions running back Mikel Leshoure was suspended two games by the league and docked two additional game checks for two citations for marijuana possession this offseason.

Attending the symposium is a good move by Fairley, which could be viewed by the league as him taking a proactive approach to his troubles this offseason. Hopefully, Fairley learns something being there, and if his attendance could possibly reduce his potential penalties from the league, it’s a win for the Lions, too.

13 Responses to “Fairley trying to make amends by attending Rookie Symposium”

1. By Oldcat on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Anything he does won’t change perceptions all that much. People see such gestures as merely token efforts to persuade people that he’s seen the error of his ways. He’s going to have to take his punishments and move forward, accepting the repercussions for his actions. He’ll carry the stigma of all this for the remainder of his career. And the only way he can turn it into a positive is to keep his nose clean and demonstrate goodwill for the balance of his future NFL career. Eventually people will forgive and put him in the category of a person who learned from his mistakes, matured, and became a respectable model citizen. These things do take some time, but as history has shown through the Michael Vick story, a consistent effort that demonstrates resolve for positive change has eventual rewards.

2. By DetRob on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Maybe i’m a special case, but i forgave Mike Vick in like 2 seconds, and Fairley in less time. I just shake my head and think these guys know better. The fact is there are so many people out there that make mistakes in their personal lives, and i prefer to judge them by how they conduct themselves on the field. I think his volunteering for the symposium, whether by his own idea or his agent’s, is a positive move not for the public opinion but for himself to improve as a person and player.

3. By Matthew D. Green on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

It amazes me that (and by no means, I’m no angel by any stretch of the imagination) young players who have the whole world by the cojones and the talent to play pro-ball, or any pro sport for that matter, let things like these stand in the way and tarnish their rep before they really get started. I know their human, but they’re in a position most people would die for. To do something you love and cherish and get paid to do so, would and should be the reason for maintaining control. I’m behind the big fella no matter what though–just need to make better judgements.

4. By JD on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

If you want to make amends then quit drinking and do stuff in regards to drunk driving. I don’t care at all about the marijuana arrests for him or the other players. Drinking and driving puts other people at risk, I hope every drunk driver kills themselves before someone innocent.

5. By DLions_1 on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I appreciate Fairley taking the action to attend the symposium. Where some may perceive this as an attempt to manipulate the outcome of his sentencing by the courts and punishment by Goodell, I honestly don’t believe it will have this effect. It is more of a showing of the intent to make positive changes in his life. He knows that everyone in that room will be looking at him as one of the many young Lions players who messed up this off-season, yet he’s going anyway. He’s facing a group of even younger players who could go down the same road if they don’t take the messages to be responsible to heart. It’s a good faith effort, in my opinion. I am not looking to make excuses for irresponsible behavior but what does anyone have left except for the present and future? It is what his behaviors and actions on and off the field look like from now on that is important to me. That is the when the true character of a person who is in the spotlight comes out. It’s time to go forward, learn from past mistakes, and make the positive changes we, as fans, and humans who also make mistakes, need to see from those we hold to a higher standard. I only wish all of the other Lions players who made poor decisions this off-season would make the same gesture. I still believe in this team and in the players. I trust that the higher-ups and team leaders will provide the positive mentoring these younger players seem to desperately need.

6. By mike on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

a bit late Nick……you should take Aaron Berry with you….

7. By UnknownWriter on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m going to still say Nick should get a 6 to 8 game suspension. And he should be glad that he’s even a live to serve it. He could have killed himself or others by getting behind the wheel of a 4,000 lb weapon while under the influence. He could have got himself shot by trying to evade police. Again, he could have killed himself or others by getting behind the wheel of a 4,000 lb weapon and trying to evade police.

I’m sure his attorney had something to do with all of his apologies and this gimmick of going to the rookie symposium. Now all we can do is wait and see if giving Nick Fairley a fifth chance is worth it. Or does somebody have to die first before we quit giving chances?

Oh, how do I come to this being his fifth chance?
    Nick Fairley chances so far:
    1) Second chance was being drafted with character issues.
    2) Third chance was being arrested for marijuana.
    3) Four chance DUI and evading police.
    4) We are now giving fifth chance and waiting for latest inevitable mistake.

8. By wendymaddy on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

nick fairley is to be commended for joining the other rookies in a program that he missed last year. he will learn something there. I also note that the others involved in drugs and alcohol have kept their noses clean since their arrests. all of them were frustrated in their first years on the team, but that of course is not excuse for falling into drug and alcohol abuse. that’s when it is time to clean up their acts, not dive into substance abuse to salve hurt feelings and frustrations. commit to God and clean living and your abilities will have a chance to shine at their best. good luck, but remember that you make your own good and bad luck with your own actions. be responsible, and you will reap the rewards. kudos!

9. By Kevin on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

Ok we all know that people make mistakes. There have been a few NFL players that have had issues with drugs and or alcohol early in their careers. Most notably Brett Favre and his Vicodin and Chris Carter and his drinking. And as we all know these two went on to have Hall of Fame careers. Let’s see how this pans out for our young players. The true test of a players repentance is in his LONG term actions. Good luck guys and God bless.

10. By smitty on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

Positive step forward, Nick! Keep it up!

11. By Felicia on Jul 2, 2012 | Reply

I’m happy that Nick Fairly is attending the symposium especially when he missed out last year. However, I don’t really understand how this is making amends. What Fairly really needs to do is grow up, stop hurting the team, and be a professional football player.

12. By Rebelyankee on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Nick please just stop the stupid crap !!!

If going out to drink get a driver who will remain sober and play your rear off during practice and the games then i will be one of your bigger fans : – )

13. By LA Lite on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

I think he has had enough chances to prove his worth. In most cases your only given one chance or terminated on a job. I have never been in those shoes but i feel they’re fair so GROW UP or get out Nick and any others who think breaking the law is cool. I have no pity and wanted the head cases off this team. I’m old school mentality in that you must pay for your decisions like my father taught me. If you know you can lose your career over the drinks,smoke,powder or whatever trips your trigger than you should be abolished from the league for life and set a real example to the new crop of rookies coming into this league. One time shame on you,two times shame on me!!!!!! Deal with it Nick when your ousted out the league.