Posted by ttwentyman on July 23, 2012 – 1:54 pm

The most frustrating part of this offseason for rookie cornerback Chris Greenwood is that he hasn’t been able to show Lions coaches what he can do because of injury. Unfortunately, he won’t be able to show them at the beginning of training camp either.

Greenwood tore a lower abdomen muscle during an OTA practice in May that required surgery and he’s expected to begin training camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

“It’s definitely been frustrating just because I haven’t been able to show what I can do,” Greenwood told detroitlions.com. “I haven’t had the opportunity outside of a couple days that I practiced. It’s something people go through sometimes and I’m just trying to bounce back.”

The news comes on the heels of the Lions releasing cornerback Aaron Berry after his second arrest over the weekend. Greenwood’s absence — at least initially — further depletes the Lions’ secondary.

The Lions selected Greenwood in the fifth round of April’s NFL Draft out of Albion College. Greenwood (6-1, 190) has a rare combination of size and speed that has the Lions excited about his future.

“He’s got height, he’s got speed; his athleticism was something that really attracted us,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said of Greenwood after the Lions took him 148th overall in the draft. “A lot of guys are big and fast. This guy’s movement and his skill level, his feet, quickness, all that stuff, this guy is a really, really good athlete.”

Greenwood said he suffered the injury when he broke on a ball during a drill in practice and felt a sudden sharp pain around his lower midsection.

The injury has been particularly frustrating for Greenwood because the depth chart at cornerback is far from set for the Lions. Chris Houston will enter training camp as the starter, but the competition for the other starting spot and those of the backup roles are an open competition.

“It’s definitely something I want to compete for or I wouldn’t be here,” Greenwood said of wanting to start.

He is already back running and rehabbing, but says he doesn’t know when he’ll be back on the practice field.

“I rehabbing now and running and jogging and hopefully I’ll be back sooner rather than later,” he said. “I’m just doing what the trainers tell me to do.”

9 Responses to “Lions CB Chris Greenwood expected to start training camp on PUP list after surgery”

1. By Racko on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Get well soon young man. I think he was the steal of the draft at 148.

2. By Andrea L. Molinari on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Yes Chris, be patient with your rehab. We certainly want to see what you can do but you also need to be healthy. Stay strong! You have fans out here praying for you!

3. By Scott Vand.... on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Well said Andrea. Take your time and come back when your healthy. It’ll do your career no good if you re injure yourself because of Aaron’s dumb moves.

4. By Scott M. LeFaivre on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Chris. i am so excited that we have a guy like you and have a good feeling about you.Like andrea said just take it easy because when you come back I feel you will be in the number two spot and within the next two years you can be our number one cb and a perenial pro bowler…Go chris go

5. By Alvin Johnson on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Hang in there! Be patient and you will have your chance Chris. You will have your chance.

6. By GuyB1958 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

I wish people would stop using the word “athleticism”. Its true definition has nothing to do with athletic ability. I’d like to smack the first nimrod from ESPN that tried to sound intelligent by using that word.

7. By mike on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Greenwood on PUP, add Broyles to that list too…..the best player available in the second round is not ready to play….great selection…..wait maybe he can play defense too…..

8. By rockbo1955 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

mike get off the monday morning quarterback routine of bashing the lions for any reason! I will be the first to remind you when broyles makes the catches to move the chains and win games on the road to a superbowl!yes LOVE IT! GO lions!

9. By LionTarHeel on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I will echo Andre’s sentiments and add that I have great faith in young Mr. Greenwood and feel he has a chance to be a very special player. I think his positive mentality will only help his game. I have complete faith in Mr. Mayhew, the staff, and the scouts. What a fantastic job they have done in four years. God, I love this team. GO LIONS!!!!!!