Posted by Tara Altman on July 31, 2012 – 1:49 pm

“This offseason was the busiest one since I’ve been in the league so far, especially with the Madden thing. They had me going from the east to west coast. I was also doing stuff for Nike, which is the west coast, you know, so I didn’t get as much time as I would have liked to to get some rest and sit down for awhile, but I did get to go to Mexico with the fam, so that was good.

“I did some cool things with Nike. The new uniforms are cool; they’re very tight, very light-weight, they won’t hold as much water as the last one, so you’re lighter out there on the field.

“Everything was very exciting, but the time matter, the time you have to spend doing them really gets you.

“Practice is going to good. It’s that time in camp when guys’ legs start getting heavy. Our wind is alright, it’s just our legs, you just have to be able to pick them up. It feels like you’re running in sand sometimes, but we’re going to fight through.

“I feel that, as far the receiver position, we run a heck of a lot out there. I feel like that we’re in pretty good condition. Our wind is good, like I said, it’s just our legs getting heavy. I think we came in in pretty good shape, we were more focused this offseason since we had a more structured offseason where we could work out.

“Ryan (Broyles) is a lot stronger than I thought he was. He’s not the tallest guy, but he’s definitely strong. I’ve seen him in the weight room and I’ve seen him fight through some press-man on the field and make some catches after the fact, so he’s a lot stronger than I thought he was. He’s got good footwork and good hands. He has quickness, that’s one thing he has. He has good knowledge of the game. Coming from Oklahoma, they had a pretty good fastball system that they ran there. We like to do some of those same things here. That’s probably part of the reason we picked him, because he fits in real well.

“Tomorrow I’m just relaxing, taking care of some things around the house, but mostly relaxing.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Johnson: “It feels like you’re running in sand sometimes, but we’re going to fight through.””

1. By Bryan Carlton on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

This is an awesome article from the best wideout in the league! Thanks megatron for giving us a little insight into your busy life!

2. By chris on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Get some rest calvin you deserve it bud

3. By rockbo1955 on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Thats saying alot coming from the megatron reallly likes our second pick his quick and strong and knows the system! thats great! keep on keeping megatron and hope you new teamate will light up the scoreboard and keep the opposing offense off the field get some rest calvin your definately deserve it! GO LIONS!

4. By Joe on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Saw you at training camp today, you looked awesome out there, everyone did. I am very excited for the season to get started – consider the roar restored.

5. By Oldcat on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Sounds like Broyles is giving CJ a good impression. That’s good to hear. I doubt CJ would make such a big deal out of Broyles unless he really thought he was looking good in practice. Maybe he’ll develop onto the kind of slot receiver that Carter was with Moss. That was one of the best tandems the league has ever seen. And if Titus makes the leap many expect to see this year, Stafford could have one elite corp of WR’s to throw to, in addition to a couple clutch receiving TE’s to throw to.

6. By Megan on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Calvin you’re amazing! I’ve loved watching you play since you were drafted to the Lions. You have amazing talent and your such a humble player! Rest up and enjoy this season, I’ll sure enjoy watching! Go Lions!!!

7. By Megan on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

8. By chaos22 on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!!! I haven’t been this excited since last year!! LMAO!!!