Ndamukong Suh tells GQ Magazine he’s not a dirty player

Posted by ttwentyman on August 21, 2012 – 7:12 pm

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh recently sat down for a profile piece with GQ Magazine and talked about the stomp of Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith last year that earned him a two-game suspension, on being called a dirty player, on why he doesn’t let people get too close and much more.

Here are some excerpts:

On keeping a tight inner circle: “I don’t want anybody in my circle that’s a cancer to what I’m trying to create. So stay on the outside and make your opinions. They’re going to be meaningless to everything in the circle. The boundaries are up for me to keep, and a responsibility of my family, too.”

On being called a dirty player: “A dirty player is somebody who ultimately is trying to hurt somebody. There’s a huge difference. There’s no gray in that. Like, you have no conscience, no nothing, no guilt. I don’t have that mean streak in me. I don’t play angry. It’s not anger.”

On playing hard: “Go hard every single play. That’s how I’ve been taught. It’s like, I open the throttle too much? I get in trouble for opening my throttle…just like being on a jet. Like, you know, when they’re starting a plane, you just gradually, gradually throw it into full throttle. I’m always in full throttle. But they tell me now I need to be at three-quarters of a throttle.

On the stomp: “If you slow down and analyze anything, it’s going to look worse in my opinion. It was not intentional. If it was intentional, it could have been a lot worse. If I wanted to go out there to hurt somebody, I could hurt somebody. I don’t want any part of that.”

“I mean, if I wanted to hurt you, I’d go for your quarterback. Because me stopping your play is going to frustrate you more than me physically hurting you. Because I’m just that much better than you. That’s how I look at it. It’s like killing somebody with kindness.”

On quarterbacks he’s targeting: “I love hitting Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler. Ben Roethlisberger, I would like to go against him, because they say he’s one of the hardest to take down. I see that as a challenge, so I would love to take him down multiple times. Peyton Manning, oh, I would love that. I think Michael Vick, I did sack him, one of the most elusive quarterbacks to ever play the game. I took him down with one arm.”

12 Responses to “Ndamukong Suh tells GQ Magazine he’s not a dirty player”

1. By jerrod on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

START THE TALKS WITH MARUICE JONES-DREW!!

2. By Fl. Lions Fan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

You have to admire his tenacity, he gives 110% on every play and he plays with COLOSSAL INTENSITY. I’ll take that on The Lions D-Line Every day of the week!! I’d Love to see him take out a few More QB’s thus season!!

3. By Hogfish on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Full throttle, nothing less. Forget the nay sayers. Full throttle.

4. By mike on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

hey Suh, it is time to play football and stop the self promotion…..

5. By iLikePancakes on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I love the Lions, and greatly appreciate Suh’s talent. However, what he’s saying is nonsense. There are plenty of talented defenders in this league who go full throttle every play, and don’t exude bad sportsmanship. We don’t JUST need a defensive beast, we need a leader.

6. By mike on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Suh needs to stop with the big headed talk and get back to business. Suh is an amazing player and has the potential to be the elite of NFL. But why is he still denying the stomp. He needs to grow up and get back to business like his rookie year. He needs to get a 6 ft rope and attach it to calvin johnson and follow him around. That man is pure class. Never gets in trouble, aways plays with intensity and high energy, but also plays with class and respect for all athletes on the field which is something suh did not do last season. Calvin your my hero for signing that extention to stay in detroit. We need you and your my 5 yr olds hero. Thanks for your professionalism. Its nice having someone you dont mind your kid idiolizing

7. By Ruth Vanden Bosch on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

AMEN, Mike. Suh, be the man that you are intended to be, not a beast. I know you will be the best! Go Lions!

8. By neolion on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Obviously Mike did not read the article. It was not self promotion, it seems as though Suh was trying to avoid the guy.

He is denying the “stomp’ because he has always denied the ‘stomp’, it was the reporter who brought it up. How Suh explained it always made perfect sense to me, the only people who wouldn’t believe him are those, like you, who are so mesmerized by media spin that they take THAT for the gospel instead of what comes from the horses mouth

9. By jacksprat57 on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike….Suh isn’t arguing that he didn’t kick at Evan, but that it wasn’t a maliciously motivated act, but a reactive one, in the moment. Evan was getting chippy while on the ground, using borderline tactics worthy of Bill Lambier. Evan’s well known as a professional instigator; that time, he got Suh’s goat. That doesn’t make Suh a bad man, just a beat man.

Alas, Roger Goodell doesn’t understand football any better than some of the fans do. Suh deserved the penalty, but not the suspension. No surprise that Roger showed us his skirt; the man’s a cross dresser from jump street.

As for any notion of their being a so-called ‘pattern’ of misbehavior in Suh’s game, it’s nonsense. That was the ONLY flag he’s gotten, OUTSIDE the whistles, in 30 games in the league + preseason. Just the one. Everything else is based on his flex poses, his jar-opener take-downs of QBs (zero flags), and the phantom penalty on the shove in the back of Cutler. Plus, the fact that Goodell DELIBERATELY chose to market Suh as the ‘Heel’ is his production of “Mr. Pink Panties’ WWE Comes to the NFL.”

On to your apparent confusion regarding the timeline of the entertainment world. Suh gave that interview to ESPN The Magazine MONTHS ago. He hasn’t been doing these other things while on the job, he did them while on his own time. Good for him.

10. By jacksprat57 on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

@ ILikePancakes….Were it true that Suh “exude(d) bad sport(s)manship,” it would also be true that he would be greatly despised among his competitors. He’s not.

Most fans have inaccurate ideas about the men who play their games. Take Tiger-Phil in golf. The widespread notion is that Phil is a great guy and Tiger is a drip. In truth, almost all of Tiger’s competitors get along well with him, whereas more than half, probably WAY more than half, DESPISE Phil Mickelson.

Then, there’s the notion that Phil’s this great family man and Tiger’s his very opposite. Newsflash: The difference is that Phil hasn’t been caught. His habits are well known on Tour, just as Arnie’s were before him.

Me, I think there’s a sad need among a lot of my fellow white folk to set up these imaginary modern-day Knights of chivalry. Mickey Mantle, Arnold Palmer, Phil Mickelson. Cardboard, most of them. Near as I can figure, the only three chaste male celebrities in my lifetime were Jack Nicklaus, Charlton Heston, and Stephen Hawkings.

If you want to tell your kid fairy tales, then stick to the original Grimm Tales. They’re much more useful guides to real life.

11. By neolion on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

@jacksprat57:
    Man, you hit tie nail squarely on the head! The media would be a much more enjoyable place if the reporters could garner a sliver of your objectivity.

12. By TF on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I really enjoy all the Suh debates. I think he is a fantastic player that has had the devil horns placed upon his head by the media (Brian Billick). The play on Cutler from behind was a totally blown call and Roger looks like a huge hypocrite making a big deal out of it. Cutler was shoved in the shoulder pads and I think Suhs elbow just rode up his back. Take into consideration Suh was coming from behind full speed as Cutler was sliding and slowing down. Not a dirty hit. The league has painted the Detroit Lions as the bad boys of the league similar to the old Detroit Pistons. The referees were hooked in and the bad calls kept coming. Hey refs, just spit out the hook, fish are smarter than you. I’m happy we have replacement refs because maybe we will actually get better consistency with the calls. The Lions have had issues with many of their players during the offseason but much of this has to fall upon the shoulders of the players. It is like your boss telling you not to go out drinking on the weekend. It’s not like you would listen to them so the accountability is all yours. The Lions were a train wreck not too long ago and I think management and the coaching staff has done a great job. There is still work to be done, but leave it to the “average” football fan to ask for instant gratification and poor business decisions.