Hanson will be Lions kicker in 2012 with expected release of Derek Dimke

Posted by ttwentyman on August 27, 2012 – 11:26 am

Jason Hanson will be the Lions kicker for a 21st season in 2012 with the expected release of rookie kicker Derek Dimke. Hanson, 42, is the Lions all-time leading scorer as well as well as the all-time leader in field goals (463) and extra points (627).

“In four years I don’t know that he’s ever not said ‘I’m ready.'” Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said this week of Hanson. “There have been some where we figure in pregame, ‘Hey we’re good from 55’ or from 56 and we might have one from 58 and look at him and he just nods and goes out. He’s old school that way. He’s just going to go out on the field and do his job. He’s had a very long career because he’s been consistent and he’s risen to challenges along the way.”

The Lions notified nine other players this morning that they are expected to be released today. No transactions are official until 4 p.m.

Among those players are fullback James Bryant, receiver Jarett Dillard, running back Stephfon Green, safety Sean Jones, guard Jacques McClendon, linebacker Slade Norris, guard J.C. Oram, defensive tackle Bobby Skinner and receiver Terrence Toliver.

The Lions have until 4 p.m. to get down to 75 players on the roster.

19 Responses to “Hanson will be Lions kicker in 2012 with expected release of Derek Dimke”

1. By jamie on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I understand all those releases except one, Stephon Green all the backs in camp are pretty much built exactly the same big strong, he is the only speed back in the whole lot. A 4.3-40 and he showed it on the 76 yard breakaway run in preseason pulling away from everyone including the corner that had the angle on him. I know we have a lot of backs, but he is the only speedster in the bunch. I would reconsider that one everyone in nfl is always talking about speed cant teach it an blah blah so if you got some speed dont let it go, put it on special teams, returner outsided flyer on punts, man i hate to lose something like that to watch another team pick it up. Just my opinion LOVE my LIONS!

2. By vern huxley on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Wish they would have waited to release Bryant @ Green.. Especially Bryant..Hopefully the Lions get ambitious and attempt a trade for a CB like Ersay did..We sure need some help back there.. GO LIONS

3. By elReydeLeon on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Being stuck in the largely ineffective mode of taking no action in the free agent frenzy every year has once again doomed our post- season hopes before the regular season even starts. We need defensive backs and were gonna have to pay for them. No additional defensive linemen will help. Don’t be stubborn like Matt Millen was Mayhew. You’ve simply traded WR’s for linemen in the Millen formula.

4. By JudKast on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Lions show promise in many areas but I still think their Secondary on Defense is very, very suspect and needs special attention. Without a good solid secondary where the Offense of the other team is intimidated – that offense will eventually pick the Lions apart as the game goes on. I don’t think the secondary is ready and as a result, unless there is drastic improvement – the team in total will suffer.

5. By JudKast on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Hanson has been a stalwart for the team year after year and will continue to be as long as he is healthy. He has been an amazing player barring none. Talk is that he will not be a “hall of famer” – I think he has a great shot at being – there have been very few that have been over the years as a kicker. This is really surprising – since so much depends on a good kicking game for field goals, extra points and punt.

6. By Lions98184 on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

The release of Stephfon Green to me is shocking because he returned a kick for 84 yards plus he also ran a run for 77 yards

7. By Drew26Red on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

If this news shocks you, wait until Friday. These are only the first cuts.

8. By Little on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Why not cut HardlyhisBest and keep Green, he is probably going to call it a career after getting another concussion. We did trade w/Redskins for an average corner that has good speed. Best needs a ski-mask and a gun for stealing from the organazation. GO LIONS!

9. By NJ Lions Fan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Tolliver was gone Sat night if he had any chance which I doubt his bonehead play was too much

10. By upnorthlion on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Did they place Green on the practice squad? lets hope, other wise dont understand this one

11. By rebobmi on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

With all the injuries to the running backs and Leshoure suspended for two games. You would of thought they keep Green as long as posible.

12. By Little on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

There is absolutely no way Green clears waivers to even make it to our practice sqaud.

13. By tim on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Why are we getting rid of green he showed great promise and we have no speed at all in the running game and best is out till at least week 6 and probably will never be back.

14. By Soulman45 on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Why cut Best he don’t count against the 53 man count.

15. By Soulman45 on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Green is on the PUB list he will be here nest year.

16. By Soulman45 on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I am sorry I was thing of Greenwood.

17. By Lions Den on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I was shocked when i seen that Stephon Green was released he’s the type of back you need to keep the defensne on there heels.

18. By SyKrysus on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I was going to say, “Why release Green.”, but I see everyone already shares my wondering.

19. By LionsinAZ on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m pretty sure that the Lions knew they were going to have to cut Stephfon Green (and probably Dominique Curry, too). By releasing them early, they won’t be able to showcase their talents in the last game, thus giving the Lions a better chance to sign them to the practice squad after they clear waivers. The Lions right now have a bigger crisis at running back than arguably any team in the entire league, so if they’re cutting Green, I don’t think a lot of other teams will be looking our way for running back help. Hopefully, this will also let us keep James Bryant, since we’ll need someone to play fullback during practice.