Broyles: “It gives us our chance to come out there with the first-half swag”

Posted by Tara Altman on August 28, 2012 – 11:15 am

“I definitely feel more confident, working hard on the practice field and actually getting into the games. It feels good to get out there and see how I can compete at a different level. I feel good about the reads that I’m making and I’m just blessed to be in this position, to be able to come off of an ACL surgery and be able to come in and contribute. The coaches believe in me, for the most part, as a rookie.

“They’re taking me on at an even pace. They’re upping my reps now, so that feels good with the season coming closer. I still have another week and then Thursday’s game to really solidify everything and move forward from there.

“This last preseason game is going to be a great deal, especially for the young guys coming in because the vets probably won’t play much. It gives us our chance to come out there with the first-half swag; we’ve been waiting off until the second half, so it’s going to be good to get out there and go through warm-ups and have that intensity gathered up and actually get to start the game with that. The coaches are definitely looking to see how guys compete during this last game.

“When you’re growing up it’s all football, it’s all fun and games; you basically go out and compete. Now, it’s the business side of it. You actually get to see that. They made cuts on Monday, and 15 other guys still have to get cut, and that’s definitely tough. It’s a business and it makes you want to come in everyday and work as hard as you can and let the coaches decide from that point on. I’m definitely blessed to be here, people might say that I’m safe as a rookie, but I come in and compete everyday like it’s my last game, or my last day to practice. This is the best of both worlds really.”

Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Broyles: “It gives us our chance to come out there with the first-half swag””

1. By ndomndom...whatever! on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Expect big things from Broyles this year. I think he will be the surprise of the second half of the season. Once Stafford gets him in his sights, he will be an awesome check down receiver. Feels like run and shoot all over again only with an extremely talented group of receivers and tight ends. Stafford of course is also a huge upgrade. Detroit should trade their #1 pick and whatever else and pick up MJD. What a nuclear offense that would be…

2. By Sooner/Lion on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

As a life-long Lion fan (born in Pontiac), and Sooner fan since I went to college there. Lions fans will grow to love Ryan Broyles! Great football player but even a better person and teamate. I was so happy my Lions got him. Good luck Ryan in Detroit!

3. By derick cleveland on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Broyles I call you that out of repect I think your maturity as a player is good and you will be a asset to our team please keep this approach and do your off season condition workouts that will make you stronger in your second year. Now i do need you to get a few touchdowns this year cause i took you in my fantasy team as my sleeper receiver // lol lets shock them everyone took calvin and nate so i grabbed you and titus while i am hoping the above teamates do great i am betting that they set the table but you get to eat. best of luyck the whole season to you and the Lions

4. By Michael on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Having been a lifelong Lions fan even though I no longer live in the state I follow them exclusively and I am thrilled of their progress. Having said that there are a few things that really concerns me. Their offensive line and their running back siutation along with Defensive backfield. Leshoure will be out for the first two games and even then when he is back the offensive line has got to improve on run blocking techniques. Last week against Oakland it seemed Leshoure was met most times behind the line of scrimmage. Kevin Smith is again injured and when he got the call last year his first couple of games he looked awesome but again he injured his ankle and was out most of the remaining games.. Mr Best looks more and more like he might not even play this year. If Detroit has to pass 35-40 times a game because of no running game it leads to Stafford being hit more and suffering an injury. If the defensive front four doesn’t have to concern themselves with the running game they can tee off on M. Stafford. We didn’t have many long sustained drives last year that ate up the clock because of no running game even though we scored a ton of points so did the other team and with no long sustained drives in most games Detroit lost in time of posession leading the defense to be on the field more and more. The defensive backfield has sustanined many injuries already in the preseason and it begining to look like another year of patchwork players back there which concerns me. If everything works out I can see us going 12-4 and deep into the playoffs but if the things I mentioned above rears its ugly head and we can’t sustain drives by the run and the defensive backfield gives up 300 to 400 yards a game with our schedule we could easily be 7-9 or worse with the improvement of the Bears, Green Bay and the likes. I am betting on Mayhue, Schwatz, finds a way to improve on last year and keep us moving in the right direction…Go Lions!!!

5. By eric on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Kept Stafford upright and we we will be fine..

6. By Zach on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ryan it is nice to have you on the team. You had some nice catches on thursday night. But it looked like you were hurting.Have a good reguler season……… GO LIONS!!!!