Source: DT Andre Fluellen among Lions final cuts

Posted by ttwentyman on August 31, 2012 – 6:33 pm

In the end, it became a numbers game for defensive tackle Andre Fluellen and defensive end Everette Brown.

The defensive linemen are expected to be among the Lions cuts before Friday’s 9 p.m. deadline, according to a league source.

That will leave the Lions with nine defensive linemen at deadline with defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh, Corey Williams, Nick Fairley and Sammie Hill and defensive ends Cliff Avril, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Willie Young, Lawrence Jackson and rookie Ronnell Lewis.

Fluellen has been a versatile component of the defensive line for the past four seasons with his ability to play both tackle and end.

Brown, who the Lions signed as a free agent this offseason, has shown flashes this preseason, but was too inconsistent in the end.

“He fits our scheme well,” Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said of Brown after Thursday’s 38-32 victory over the Bills.

“He’s been a little bit up and down in the preseason, but he’s had also some times he’s really made big plays including the last play of this game. He also made a sack on another one. We have a good group on the D-line and he’s one of them.”

The team has also notified guard Rodney Austin, safety Reshard Langford, receiver Lance Long, cornerback Justin Miller and receiver Maurice Stovall of their pending releases.

Miller’s release leaves the Lions with five cornerbacks as of Friday night: Chris Houston, Bill Bentley, Jacob Lacey, Kevin Barnes and Jonte Green. The Lions might not be done adding to that position before the start of the regular season.

The release of Long and Stovall improve the chances of undrafted rookie free agent receiver Patrick Edwards making the roster.

The latest cuts give the Lions 19, leaving them two short leading into the 9 p.m. deadline.

8 Responses to “Source: DT Andre Fluellen among Lions final cuts”

1. By Shane Fountain on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Well it sounds to melike they ( the lions ) got a great handle on keeping ther best talent … Possible …. Hopwever i would be willing to bet that before next weekend they have added at least one more C.B to the roster and undoubtedly there will be some decent opnes cut fropm teams this week i am also excited to see what kind of mid season moves the lions make this year with the t deadline being pushed back to week 8 ………………GO LIONS

2. By Dick Brown on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I don’t agree will all their moves but they know more about it than I do, at least they had better. I really hope that they found someone that can tackle and got rid of the ones that keep making the stupid penalties. Fairley needs someone to stand behind him with a big stick and wack him everytime he gets flagged

3. By Jen G. on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I liked fluellen AND long.

4. By Golfer John on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

After watching the LIons play their last game against the Bills, we better hope like heck they get healthy on the back end, and we also better start tackling better. As I have said all along, we will need to score at least 30+ points per game to have a chance to win. Can’t wait until the opener against St.Louis. Goooo Lions!!!!

5. By Otto D on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

I liked Fluellen & Stovell …..they better add at least one good cb…..go lions should be a fun year to watch them…..

6. By redwingliger on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Dick Brown, your comment about Nick Fairley made me laugh. Why don’t you apply for that job, but if so I suggest you eat your Wheaties, and carry something more than just a stik, or you might go home looking like a popsicle.

7. By redwingliger on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

It will be interesting to see who we will lose when Greenwood gets activated, because he is one guy that we can’t place on the practice squad, he won’t last five minutes there, someone will steal him away. Actually, I wouldn’t mind seeing him go on the IR this season, unless he can make an immediate improvement to this year’s secondary. I just don’t see that happening for the simple reason that he was robbed of his rookie training camp due to injury. If he does make it off the pup list, then I hope he gets plenty of playing time this year, because I don’t see us making the playoffs again this season anyway. Greenwood (and the Lions) could, or should (IMO) use this season to get all of our rookie DB’s as much playing time as possible so they can get better for NEXT SEASON. Can you imagine, (if all three rookie DB’s pan out) what an awesome team we will have next season, and the next three or four seasons? I cannot remember any year, (and I’ve been a Lions fan for most of my 52 years) that the Lions had to cut so many quality players!

8. By lista sutton on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Hello there, simply was aware of your blog thru Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful should you continue this in future. Lots of other folks might be benefited from your writing. Cheers!