Delmas and Houston miss practice; Silva signed to practice squad

Posted by ttwentyman on September 5, 2012 – 12:01 pm

The Lions resumed on-field preparations for Sunday’s regular season opener against the Rams Wednesday, but did so without safety Louis Delmas and cornerback Chris Houston, who were the only players absent from the portion of practice open to the media.

Dr. James Andrews performed knee surgery on Delmas Aug. 7 and he hasn’t returned to practice since. Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said last week that Delmas would have to practice at some point this week if he wanted to play Sunday.

Houston has been out of practice since suffering an ankle injury against the Raiders in the third preseason game.

Check back with Detroitlions.com for the release of the first official injury report of the season at 4 p.m.

Also Wednesday:

The Lions signed safety Ricardo Silva to the practice squad, three days after releasing him from the initial 53-man roster to make room for cornerback Drayton Florence, who the team signed Sunday.

Silva cleared waivers and the Lions made room for him on the eight-man practice squad by releasing cornerback Ross Weaver.

He spent the first majority of last season on the Lions’ practice squad before being activated Week 13 against the Saints after Delmas suffered a knee injury the week prior against the Packers.

Silva is the fifth safety on the roster behind Delmas, Erik Coleman, John Wendling and Amari Spievey.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Delmas and Houston miss practice; Silva signed to practice squad”

1. By WI Bassman on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I am sure Houston will be playing.

2. By Nick on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I am glad that we were able to retain Silva, I think he has a lot of talent and could eventually be groomed to replace Delmas eventually.

Just and FYI, its actually news when Delmas actually practices and plays. You may want post that on here, not when he sits, that isn’t news thats expected from him.

3. By rockbo1955 on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I am so glad to see we got Silva back we need this guy on the team!

4. By Dave "Waz" on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I’ll be happy if I was wrong. At last season’s end, I was very critical of Spievey. If he continues to play the way he showed he can in the Buffalo game, that secondary is in better shape than I previously thought. He was so tight he seemed to be inside the jerseys of the Buffalo receivers. That wa scertainly missing at the end of last year. I don’t know if it’s the competition for the jobs, health or experience, I don’t care. Just keep up the good work and I’ll be your biggest supporter instead of detractor.
    I am also glad to see Silva in a situation where he can be of help. He looked sharp against Buffalo also, especially on special teams. Too bad for those “stingers’.

5. By vern huxley on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

CUT DELMAS

6. By ElReyDeLeon on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I believe Delmas is coming up to the last year of his rookie contract, if this isn’t already the last year. It likely won’t be renewed if he stays hurt. He has some positive effect on the defense when he’s in, but he hasn’t completed a season so I’m sure April 2013 will include a pick at safety, if one’s available.