Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 12, 2012 – 4:48 pm

“Nate made some big catches last week. That catch he made in the middle of the field was really big. It could have been a third down. He kept that drive going. I was happy with the way the receivers came out with their mindset ready to fight. Not just the receivers, but the offense as a whole.

“Especially during the end of the game when we had to score, we could have been thinking, ‘We need a field goal to tie the game’, but we said we needed a touchdown to win. That’s the mindset we gotta have and I was happy to see it.

“Kevin might have had a couple drops, but he stayed in the game. He didn’t let those things get to him and he kept playing to the next play and – by doing so – good things happen to you. He ended up scoring the game-winning touchdown for us, so that was big. I was happy to see that for him.

“Thinking back to last year’s game against these guys, I remember I was ticked off because we let that one get away. One that we had a grasp on and it messed up our perfect season early in the season. That’s the one thing that sticks out. On top of that, they came to our house to do it. That’s why I’m happy we get to go there and try and disturb their season early.

“Looking to this week, if there are games you circle, this should definitely be one of the games. One, because it’s early in the season and Sunday night, but at the same times, a lot of guys – most of the guys that were here last year – they got a bad taste in their mouth from the way that the game ended last year. Not even talking about all the extra stuff that happened, but just from on the field. We felt we had that game and we let it get away.

“All the off-the-field talk I’m able to tune out pretty good. The only reason that we hear about it is because somebody brings it up, whether it be a coach or media. That’s not something that I think is on a lot of guys’ radars as far as this game is concerned.

“Getting a win against a playoff team is definitely something that you would like to see – us performing at a better level against teams like that. To do so this early in the season would definitely put us in a good spot. I know last week we didn’t start the way we wanted to. We finished the way we wanted to, but we didn’t play the whole game like we wanted to. We felt that was a game that shouldn’t have been where is was, so we can’t have those same kind of mistakes if we definitely want to win this week.

“The 49ers have a good defense, a very good front seven. The big thing on our side is being where we’re supposed to be at the right time because they can put some heat on the quarterback.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Johnson: “If there are games you circle, this should definitely be one of those games””

1. By 9er4evr on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

You guys though last year’s whipping was bad? You’d better brace for impact this Sunday night. No more mister nice guy!!

2. By marcus on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Calvin sit dont practice take care of that foot.

3. By JP O'Flaherty on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I hope the replacement refs are watching Harbaugh’s boys cheap shots. I know in the pre-season Baltimore game they had several cheap shots on Matt and CJ both. I am sure Harbaugh will be pushing his guys to play tough, and try to intimidate the Lions players, because they don’t have near the talent the Lions do on Offense.

4. By Kevin on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Cheap shots? Lol its called physical football. GO NINERS

5. By Hogfish on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

2-3 step drop backs and throw. 8 yards on first and second keep third downs short and managable. Protect one’s self and watch for the cheap shots for they will be there.

6. By nighttrain1 on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

The 49ers stay in games because they have a good defense, BUT, they do not have an explosive offense. They can only take what’s given to them.On the other hand, the Lions have an offense that when clicking, take whatever they want. If the Lions defense come to play, they can shut the 49ers down. The 49ers defense keeps them in games, slow their pass rush and the field is wide open. Our offensive line need to protect Stafford, give him time to throw, and the Lions win this game.

7. By cjmyster on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

woah woah……u guys r so stuck on last year..good luck your going to need it

8. By Zach Kelsey on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

This game is circled on my calendar!!!! Driving down from Idaho to watch the game…front row seats on the 20…gonna be amazing!!! Go LIONS!!!

9. By Gold$tandard on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

And you can say Alex is not elite.. But Alex don’t need to throw for 5000 yards for him to led our offense. Just be smart with the ball and make plays. Niners have one of the top rushing games in the league along with some new weapons to play with. Besides Alex is now in his second year under Roman’s offense, where before had a different offense coordinator every year. He will strive under these coaching staffs and I will guarantee that you will lose again but this time in the ‘Stick’

10. By eric on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Revenge is a dish best served cold..Im takin my Sh– straight out the freezer…GO Lions..!!.

11. By 57lionman57 on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

GO LIONS……….I’m with Eric, Freezer is full.

12. By Jason on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

I can’t even believe the irony in this comment by cjmyster, “You guys are so hung up on last year”
    Yeah cj, we all realize that the 49ers have been winning for the last 10 years. I guess 49er fans aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed….

13. By doug on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

who wins this game, might have home field advantage NFC Tittle game. hope to win by touchdowns, not kicking game,, remember missed field goals in 80 s and 90 s. Go Lions

14. By TYLER J on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

and i thought bears fans were bad.looks like the niners coach is rubbing off
    on their fans with his smug attitude.

15. By sherri on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

you sf fans r totally going into ths game with blinders on. when stafford is on his game and with the players we have megtron and suh we r capable of bringing down even the 49ers, so sit back and may the best team this week win. been a fan of the lions since i was 8 and i am now 65, go lions, show them what we are made of

16. By themajestic1 on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

When I posted my blog on week two of the NFL, I thought the game against the 49′s was going to be a true test of how good this team is. 8 Points???

The Lions rock! These guys are going to have a great season.

Check me out at http://majesticdestination.blogspot.com/