Lions sign CB Conroy Black to practice squad; release RB Stephfon Green

Posted by ttwentyman on September 18, 2012 – 1:53 pm

The Lions signed Conroy Black, one of the fastest cornerbacks in the draft this year, to their practice squad on Tuesday.

Black, who visited the Lions before the draft as one of the team’s allotted pre-draft visits, went undrafted in April. He was signed by the Raiders following the draft, but was released in August.

The Lions released running back Stephfon Green to make room for Black on the practice squad.

The Lions are shorthanded in their secondary with the recent arm injury to cornerback Drayton Florence but are hoping to get cornerbacks Chris Houston and Bill Bentley back this week against the Titans.

22 Responses to “Lions sign CB Conroy Black to practice squad; release RB Stephfon Green”

1. By GuyB1958 on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

What is going on with Barnes and when are we gonna see him? Also, why do the Lions keep picking up guys that have been cut from other teams? Are they hoping that these guys are magically gonna get be better for the Lions when they weren’t good enough for other teams???

2. By NoDefLion on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I want to know what is going on with the defensive coaching drills?! Major improvements to the D-Line, but the secondary is killing the team! Doesn’t matter if pressure is applied to the QB if he can just toss the ball in the air for a gain on 2nd and 20 to make 3 and 7. Trade def secondary coaches PLZ!

3. By AaronN on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

dude there are a lot of players that are realy good that go undrafted and sign the get cut Jeff Saterday was an undrafted player and one of the best centers I have ever seen play the game and some players just fit well in a particular systum(sp) case and point look a nomdi with Phily last year great man to man corner can’t do crap as a zone corner thoe

4. By James Emory on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Well with their present need, one CB is better than none.

5. By john on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I can see the lions trying to run the ball better but thier best shot is with Stafford throwing.He needs to put more sip on the passes in the flat thats where he gets most ints but also why do they trow to recievers short of a first dn marker.They can put out 3 at 6ft 5 or so so throw to them espicially Sheff and pet drops way to many,use sheff more and i cant tell from TV but someone should be going deep on every play and substitute often run thier dbs raggaed

6. By jason on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

they should have kept green in the preseason he did go 80 yards on a play what the hell.

7. By Dave "Waz" on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

It’s hard to criticize management that drafted so well and made us a contender almost over night. But drafting the “best player availabe” instead of addressing our needs has come to haunt us. The starters in the secondary have yet to play an entire season. Yes. Football is a contact sport, but there are sevral teams that just know how to draft guys that, through luck or skill, manage to stay healthy. Our guys seem to be stamped “FRAGILE” coming to the Lions. Wendling knows how to make a big hit, but he can’t cover. Spievey, in the preseason Buffalo game, proved me wrong. Last year I was tough on him and his inability to cover. In that Buffalo game, he almost seemed to be inside the uniform with his man. Didn’t the coaches see what I saw??? He didn’t surface against the 49ers until the 4th quarter. I would love to be preven wrong. Give him the opportunity. I think he earned it.

8. By Dean Ford on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Secondary needs help ASAP, Or this will be another 7-9 season, same old lions……Hell i can still run fast give me a call so i can suit up and show these clown how to play Def. without Clucking.

Glidemaster

9. By Hogfish on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Wanted four healthy defensive backs that can play NFL football. Contact the Detroit Lions. Welcome Conroy this is your break make the best of it.

10. By dave on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

whats arron berry doing besides playing with his pistol

11. By Jay pass on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

The Lions are making me sick. To be more specific the Coordinators. Offensively, Linehan, loosen up. Try something different. Your game calls in the first two of this year are frightening. GUN–time to go. Your Defensive play calls are weak spanning the six or seven games. Winning has masked some pain, unfortunately this team is not growing. I respect both your efforts because you work for My Hometown Team. You have to change some stuff, or call someone who cares. Schwartz, I’m giving you a chance too. The family likes you but that means nodda to me. This team is not playing inspired football and cant tackle a wet nurse. FIX IT. THe offence should never take the field first. Especially away from home. Your defense is the way to win. I will discuss things with Matthew later.

12. By Spike-O on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

O.K. I can’t take it anymore regarding the coaching and play on Defense. The morning of the Niner’s game I revisited the same game from last season. And I can’t wrap my mind around what I saw regarding that Trap play that killed us then with Frank Gore and also killed us on Sunday. What is up? Our D responded the same way each game as if they did’nt study any film. And all I can say regarding the secondary is Janoris Jenkins… During the second round of the draft he was available for us to snatch up instead we reached back to our Matt Millen days and picked up another wide reciever and in the mean time Jenkins is intercepting Stafford in game one against St.Louis…Really!

13. By Jay pass on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Not done–its makes no sense to draft corners, thenn play them ten yards off the receiver. That doesnt work, lets see, Dallas, didnt work, New Orleans, didnt work, Green Bay, see the pattern. Press em, let the D-line get after em. It only works if the QB still has the ball. WAKE UP GUN…

Linehan, you made to have a drink of creativity. To see QBs come in and get plays them for their success, Yet you throw Matthew under the Bus. He can make every throw, he’s the future, he’s so smart…blah blah blah. Your’e the OC, get him rollin, early. Sreens, comebacks, stuff like that. He doesnt warm up till the fourthe quarter, help him along.

I wish Iwas frustrated or something. I’m not. This is the only place where the “Fanily” can talk.

WIN or Die trying.

14. By Lions Ace81 on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Unless the Lions have a well thought out plan that will keep those players who were let go… close by… The release of Stephon Green will come back to haunt us. Mark my word.

15. By john on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I TOTALLY agree that releasing Stephon Green is a major blunder. I sense bewilderment in a coaching staff that has previously seemed under control.

16. By Matt on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Pay attention to whats going on people!!!!!!!! We need corners now for this weekend. We have three corners on the roster that aren’t injured. We needed to make space so Green was the guy.

17. By simms on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Sometimes I wonder if the coaches have a brain.. I look at the great big gaps the D has between lineman and WOW! Replay shows clearly that no one is there by the time the running back hits the hole, no wonder we couldn’t stop them. Wow with all the talk about how great San Fran is and they only beat us by 8 points, I blame it on the game plan and some stupidity

18. By john on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I am surprised they released green but they must know something we don’t.I grew up watching 60 and 70 football.Then if you grabbed a jersey it was holding now its like only if your like tackling is it holding.I also remember when the lion defense would shut down running games now the march up the field and only when they get in field goal range do they get tough.I am also wondering why the other teams can open holes anywhere the wish making it look easy where we get stuffed play after play,maybe staley was right overrated defense

19. By Lance Manly on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Releasing Stephon Green – no big deal… he won’t be picked up by another team other than maybe their practice squad and can always sign off another team’s practice squad.

If Green were any good…on of the other 31 teams would have already signed him off our practice squad.

Looks like Lions cut Barnes; if so, I am curious if Lions owe Redskins and pick.. it was conditional and if he didn’t meet conditions it is possible Lions owe nothing to skins… you know like be on roster for 6 weeks. Would like to know if Lions owe a pick for Barnes still.

Lions seem light in CB’s so a healthy Barnes is better than no one… but maybe not.

Face it, Lions can get through Titans and Vikings with either Delmas or Houston… but Eagles and Bears we’re going to need both.

Go Lions!

20. By JD Wyo Lion fan on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I never did like the wide 9 (D) that we are playing, I don’t think we have the LB’s to play the (9). They are fast but under sized and that is where we are gettin hurt, our backers can’t shed blockes and get to the runner. To run a wide 9 defence you need big LB’s. I am not ready to throw our staff under the bus yet, I think they had a good game plan for SF, but SF is a stout team, and if you are going to beat them, you can’t make mistakes. I agree that we need help in the secondary… I have thought that for years now, but this is only their 3rd year with this team, and lets face it, we where hands down the worst team in the history of the NFL when they took over. I know if they would have gotten a 8 & 8 team, they would have had a few more pieces to work with and maybe we would be further along, but as it is we just need to give them a little more time. Plus last week we didn’t have 3 of our DB’s starting, but it looks like all but Delmas will be back on the field Sunday. Along with that we get Leshure back to help the run game. Its early boys…lets not start calling for heads just yet!!

21. By rockbo1955 on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I am disappointed that the lions let green go! maybe he didnt cut in the direction of the play but what do I know! but this ridiculus to cut green! I really doubt best will ever play and if he does and gets hit hard again then he will be definately done!. Its time to cut your loss and make a spot for green and keep him he has speed! this is hope fully the last year cunnigham we ever he has been Its the same problem the players were in the wrong spot just like he did in dallas and they got rid of him and find a secondary coach They knows how coach as basic technique such as tackling and covering the player you suppose to! the offense you have got to make a game plan for your quaterback, if matt a slow starter get him to start short pass and grow from there he did not have this problem last year it looks like he is regression not impproving so I wonder about the offensive cordinator and what he is thinking re write thne play book or go back to last year playbook because what you our doing is not working! I am upset by the game and whatever happened over this past offseason has really change the team and I am affraid that it will all fall apart and we end up having a bad season and the hope I have in my Lions will take another hit!GO lions!

22. By beege51 on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Okay,so Green is out-Black in as CB. Our O line is doing it’s job,time for Stafford to man up. I am in agreement with some of the comments I’ve been reading. Why not put up the long ball? I’d certainly rather see a DB EARN an interception from battling Johnson than just giving one away with these errant passes. Whatever happened to the screen? That’s been our bread and butter for forever. I KNOW we’re a better team than we’ve been playing-EVERYBODY needs to get their heads out of their @$$&$ and play some quality pro football. Our secondary admittedly has been struggling, but I know the guys we have can match up with anybody in the league. The talent’s there. Let’s go out and DO IT!! Go LIONS!!