Broyles: “Just being out there was a big step for me”

Posted by Tara Altman on September 24, 2012 – 4:14 pm

“Man, it was a crazy. A four-quarter game is going to be competitive in the NFL and I got to witness that first hand. It was exciting getting out there on my first couple of snaps. I didn’t catch any balls, but just being out there was a big step for me.

“That touchdown catch by Titus was my first time being part of a Hail Mary. A bunch of guys were talking about that in the receivers room today,  saying how it was so crazy. I was actually right there when it happened, when Titus caught the ball. You throw up Hail Marys in video games. It was huge.

“But you know, we need to put things together offensively. I wasn’t a big part of it, but I come out here everyday and practice, so I know what to expect out of the guys on the offensive side of the ball. Putting up 41 points and losing, that’s not good at all. We can be smarter on offense and eliminate some of the errors that we had. But overall, I think we played pretty well.

“It was just an emotional roller coaster. I went home and was talking to my wife and she said ‘You can’t even pay attention to me right now.’ My body was just fatigued, and mentally, it was crazy.

“That game let us know this early in the season that we’re capable offensively of scoring points. We scored two touchdowns in the last 18 seconds of the game. It just shows what we have on the offense. We know what we can do and we don’t feel like many people can stop us if we play our game.”

Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Broyles: “Just being out there was a big step for me””

1. By Jerry on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

The Lions still need a cornerback and 1 or more decent safeties. Delmas is good but isn’t playing and the others, while trying hard, are just not getting the job done. There has to be SOMEONE out there that the Lions could get off free agency or through a trade. Mr. Meyhew has to move on this NOW. We could be 1-5 and out of it by the time Delmas gets back and even then there is no guarantee that he will be at or near the top of his game. It looks like picking a wide receiver 2nd in the draft when there were quality defensive backs available is turning into an unwise decision. I love the Lions but unless they shore up the defensive backfield and get Avril to live up to his 10 million salary it’s gonna be a long and very disappointing year.

2. By Coach Willcox on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Dang! Ryan, I was going to see your first regular season play and was occupied with family stuff. First things first, eh?

I hear you delivered quite a hit.

Is it true your coach is moving you to linebacker just to protect his own receivers after big scores? : )

Praying for Landry. The whole world down here is trying to come down on top of him. It’s got to be getting to him. He doesn’t have that old flow, but even he admitted that he’s trying too hard.

We’re all pumped about Mr. Shepard down here. Did you see his Billy Sims leap over that D-back? The replay on the big screen got bigger cheers than the actual play.

Waiting for one of those from you when opportunity knocks. Good to see you and Mary Beth so goofy in love. That’s money in the bank.

Devour the Word
    Shine the light

3. By Kris on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Yes they did mistake by not taking the DB in the 2nd round of the draft & went for the Receiver who will be a asset sometime in the future.. not sure what kind of strategy …I saw last week game ..DB’s are not at all looking at the ball ..from where it is coming so pathetic ..Hope they change whole D coaching staff asap ..:)

4. By Todd Anthony on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

DDidn’t get to see it either, was getting ready for Tulsa Kelly. Good luck next week Ryan.

5. By David on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Can we get Broyles on the field if there are no injury concerns with him? It baffles me how Megatron can draw double and triple coverage, and #2, and #3 receivers can’t seem to get open regulary and when they do alot are drops.

I just don’t want to see the Lions waste the talent we have now like we did with Barry.

Go Lions!

6. By Ken on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

I keep hearing that you shouldn’t “reach” for a player in the draft. Right now I would be OK if they reached for a defensive back or two. That said, I like Reiff and Broyles and Bentley. We will see if Bentley works out as he is a rookie and made a rookie mistake on the penalty in OT. That would have forced a punt by the Titans and maybe won us the game if we scored. Lions are still a work in progress but I’ve waited many years to see a competitive team and I am running out of patients. I say we spend all our drafts picks on defensive back next year. How many picks do we get? Go Lions.

7. By Spike-O on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

No disrespect to Broyles but drafting the best player available and not on need…well how is that working out? That just goes to prove we are not ready to run with the big dogs. Someone answer me this. Are we better than last season and prepared to take steps deeper in the playoffs?

8. By CJ on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Broyles is a class act and will be a difference maker for the Liobs just like the Sooners. Mark my word.