Johnson: “It’s too early in the season to say we’re out of it in the division”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 3, 2012 – 4:45 pm

“The mood around here has been fine. A lot of things we’ve gone over are a lot of little things. It’s the details, the reason why we haven’t won these last few games – especially the last two. If we would have been sticking to the details a little bit more, a lot of those mistakes that we had that ended up being so big wouldn’t have been there at all.

“It’s just a matter of the details. If and when we do correct those or get on top of those details, a lot of those mistakes will be gone and things will start to go the other way for us.

“Looking at us as an offense, it’s been tough. Last year things were way different because we saw single-high safety, cover one. This year they’re prevent, three safeties deep. We can’t just do what we did last year. At the same time we just have to nickel and dime them and that’s where the details come. Teams are going to make us drive 10 plays down the field to score so that’s where we need the details to get down there.

“It’s too early in the season to say we’re out of it in the division. We’re just a quarter of the way through. Being 1-3 is a big learning experience for us – we have to get our minds right to come back and try and flip that script.

“As a captain if things are going good you kind of fall to the back. But when things get tough you have to be there whether it be supporting or encouraging your teammates. Just keep everybody up. That’s my role right now. And I have to step up and start doing a little more, especially in these times.

“Getting five days off will be good for me physically. Get that body back to feeling good. That’s the most important thing. Get the body feeling good, we get another four-week span of games and then get another mini bye week for after Thanksgiving. We have a pretty good setup going into the end of the season even though our bye week came kind of early.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Johnson: “It’s too early in the season to say we’re out of it in the division””

1. By Urban Poet on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

You are out of it..But a true Lions fan I am, we’ll just watch as things fall apart again.

2. By Dave "Waz" on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

We lost a couple of games we should have won. Now we need to win two we were expected to loose. 3 if’s: receivers need to hold onto the ball…Mr. Pettigrew!!!! Stafford was a bit wild with his throws early and the consistancy is coming back. It’s the dropped balls that are putting the exclamation point on our sub-par passing game so far. 2: special teams has a huge problem to solve. 3: we need a healthy secondary … for the rest of the season. Past history is against us, but when have we ever worried about that???

3. By chris cooper on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

We haven’t given up our Lions and never will. Make Grand Rapids and the rest of Michigan proud!

4. By Sam-Sam the Lions Fan on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dave-
    Love it. BUT, even though we’ve had a lot of dropped balls, the player that Stafford is for whatever reason has not FULLY been realized this season. Stafford can play. He is a leader, and he can help bring this team back, but he has got to get back into the groove we all know he can be in. The rest of your points…I can dig it. I haven’t lost hope. I believe in this team, but they do need to give me more to sink my teeth into. Goooooooooooo Lions!!!

5. By Ken on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

I think the Lions are spending too much time reading about how good they are supposed to be and what they will do this year that they lost some of their edge. Back to basics. Kicking butt in every aspect of the game. Offense looks sloppy, defense needs to generate a better pass rush and dominate like they should and special teams are a mess. Team needs to refocus just like I tell my rocket football kids. Do your job on the field and winning will take care of itself. Basics, basics, basics…good sustained blocks, quality tackles, catch the ball, hold on to the ball, run the ball. We have more potential this year than we have ever had in Detroit. Let’s show the NFL what we can do. Go Lions.

6. By Patrick OToole on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Good stuff,
    I agree totally. You guys get healthy, mean and execute the rest takes care of itself. Calvin, ask #85 if he knows that he is wearing a retired # and if he knows that the guy that wore that jersey died on the field playing for the Lions.

7. By Paul on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

I just realized what has been the thing crushing us offensively and I think everyone undervalued his contributions to the team. Jahvid Best would be a key threat right now for our offense. If you notice what calvin stated “Last year things were way different because we saw single-high safety, cover one. This year they’re prevent, three safeties deep. We can’t just do what we did last year.” I think he has a point until the mention of “we can’t just do what we did last year” because I believe they are somewhat doing what they did last year, but are using power and balanced backs on the short dump passes and are expecting around the same YAC’s as a speedster back (i.e. Jahvid Best) would bring after the dump off. Teams in the NFC were threatened by the lions not just because of the pass, but because we had one of the fastest backs in the league always in our backfield ready to catch a dump off pass and take it 20+ yards. Now we just look like a one dimensional offense with only a strong WR core and a RB stable which we don’t seem familiar with adjusting to our system. I think we should the loss of Best is starting to show its effect on our Offense.

8. By Paul on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

I think the loss of Best is starting to show*

9. By carol wadsworth on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Well Megatron!!!. guess what i think everyone need,s to get out there and play xtra hard and practice alot more just 2 days a wk isnt going to get it, you all looked bad the last 2 wks. some one needs to protect you when the ball is coming to you what happened, there were always 2 guys on you all the time , why cant someone do something with those guys, and ya,all need to run faster get tougher, and those stupid gloves , slip right off the guy u are trying to tackel, and to catch with them on oh my goodness, that,s almost an impossibility, but running harder and tackeling more is a factor in the game, and your QB, need,s to do his job better run with the ball and not be afraid to runwith it. and the dancing in the pocket is stupid. he needs to get over it.the lions have really disgusted me the last 2 wks. what a let down.if this continues you wont have any fans, and we are your Bread & Butter, so to speak.so go out there and play like you are in the game, make us proud of you that is what we want.i want to see ya go to the super bowl i would be so proud of that acomplishment, you gotta GET TOUGH OR GET GOING , ONE OR THE OTHER , I HOPEIT,S U GETTING TOUGHER. I MEAN THE TEAM . IT,S A GOOD THING YOU HAVE JASON HANSON, lately he has been the point maker. i love jason, he is great.. well enough is said by me. LET,S GET A WIN SUNDAY.im praying u will,

10. By momokante on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Hey you cant blame anyone the lions tried their best to win. Yeah the lions lost 3 games but it’s the begining of the season. The lions know they have to practrice and they have a bye week so they got to put some work in. Calvin,Titus,Brandon, and Nate know they have to shake off the secondary and linebackers but dont forget Matthew Stanford been unaccurate lately and the line have to hold back the deffense of line. Mikel Leshoure know fumbles aren’t needed so keep practicing hard

11. By momokante on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

So Calvin if your reading thismake sure you tell Jim Scharwtz sorry if I spelled his name wrong. Pass it to Calvin or Nate but don’t forget about the player you drafted. Ryan Bryoles and Titus Young Sr. are great Recivers and no one would really expect any big plays from them. Ryan Broyles broke all time record for big-12 and ncaa so dont forget about him and Ronel Lewis good player. Make sure our deffense is great prevent Bill Bently from pass interfanrce.

12. By Fred on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Bring back Alphonso Smith, an experienced corner that makes plays (who knows our system). And wheres the pass rush, bring Everette Brown back. We could let a forth string running back or third string O-Line go! Couldn’t we?

13. By Anthony Miller on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

To anyone who will listen. On offense we need to have more creativeness. We basically call one running play “shotgun hanoff” no toss sweeps,counter traps, or guards pulling. On the pass not many slants or quick outs”stafford has a gun” “helloooo”. Defensively the same thing. No good timing on blitzes,hardly any movement of the d-line guys. Thought they promised to do more of that!! Somebody please tell me why our DBs never ever turn their heads and locate the football!!!!!!! Is any of the DB coaches covering simple basics with the players? Fundamentals,basics,common sense thats all. It’s not rocket science folks just football!!! Coach is right it’s not to late just clean it up!!!! GO LIONS!!!!!

14. By UnknownWriter on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

I said it before, It’s going to take 11 wins to make the playoffs this year as a wildcard team. And I don’t see our division winner getting under 12 wins. At 1-3, that means we need to win 10 out of 12 remaining games. Take away last year’s 5-0 start, the Lions have been playing sub-par since. I can’t see the Lions beating anybody in our division. That means FIVE more loses. I also can’t see the Lion’s winning any games against play-off bound teams. That means the Lions will be lucky to win four games on the season.

Yepper, at 4-12 the Lions will only get a good draft pick. Aging veterans will be slowing down and needing replacing and the “B” word will be whispered around about some of our promising young talent.

I don’t blame this on the players. I do blame this on coordinators who tell us of what the problem is and yet can’t figure out how to fix it. I blame this on the Lion’s brain trust who think the Lions only lack a quality RB when an Offensive line is incapable of opening holes and their is no effort made to block out opposing LB’s from making a tackle. You have to use your strengths to win games. So far, the Lions are trying to use their weaknesses to win games. How’s that working out?

15. By kbrik on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

You no, i am truly sick of being dissapointed by the Detroit Lions. I have been a fan for 29 years and this is the stuff we continually have to deal with. What ever is going on in Detroit, GET OVER IT!!!! MOVE ON!!!!

Lets win games and realize that we are an NFL team. I am tired of talking about the good old days when we were an 8-8 team with Barry Sanders. No disrespect Barry.

Maybe i’m wrong and i hope i am, but so far i see nothing special about this team compared to past teams. I still expect to be dissapointed each and every game i watch. I mean come on i had to hold my breath when they played the Rams, really Detroit, last minute win to the St. Louis Rams. COME ON!!!!!

16. By sam stout on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I without bias believe we have enough talent on both sides of the ball to be what our potential suggests. When i see other teams who don’t have a Calvin Johnson, NB, and Titus get their receivers the ball. Look at Tom Brady. Defenses play really him the same way, but he will pick you apart nickel and dime all day. He will use his TE’s. The star receiver on other teams are not shut down. Why? because they don’t keep the star receiver on the same side of the formation all day or same position. The lions did that in the 2nd half with Calvin but they are already behind. I recognize I’m not on the coaching staff and I am not aware of the strategy at hand, but from a competent fan point of view I feel to keep the defenses from settling down on Calvin move him around that also will let other offensive facets of the game open up. Hopefully Pettigrew will hold on to the ball but Nate and Titus are quite reliable..when Calvin is on the outside all day its very easy for defenses to defend him and everyone else.

17. By Anthony Miller on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

kbrick!!! Umm the rams r 3-2!!!! They also just knocked off one of the last unbeatens!!! That win dont look so bad anymore!!!