Broyles: “Hearing the fans boo was definitely a culture shock”

Posted by Tara Altman on October 5, 2012 – 7:08 pm

“Looking back to last Sunday’s game – we have to make things happen in the red zone, take advantage of every opportunity we get, clean up some mental mistakes, some concentration things. We feel like we beat ourselves more than anything. Offensively we just have to continue to grind it out. It’s a long season.

“Coming out of the game, giving up that kickoff, that kind of made things flat, and it made the fans flat as well. It’s kind of tough on us, coming back from a 7-0 deficit at the very beginning of the game, so we had to dig ourselves out of a hole and obviously we couldn’t do that.

“I’m just going to continue to do what I can. When my number gets called, I have to make the best of it. I dropped a pass. That was out of character for me. Got lost in the game more than anything, so I just have to make the best of every opportunity I have.

“Hearing the fans boo was definitely a culture shock. Coming from Oklahoma, that never happens. Fans are behind you no matter what. They expect to win. The fans understand their job and that’s to cheer and get the team going. Out here, I guess the NFL’s a different story. That’s what people say. They pay for us to produce, which does make sense, but at the same time you need the fans. We go out here and make big plays for them to cheer, so I feel like it’s a collective thing. That was why I tweeted about the booing. First time deal for me, and I just felt like that wasn’t right. We’re on the same team basically.

“For our days off, we just need to rest up and get our mind right to come back for a 12-game stretch. We’re in the hole right now, 1-3, so we can make that up here coming up.”

Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 28 Comments »

28 Responses to “Broyles: “Hearing the fans boo was definitely a culture shock””

1. By LaRoice Turner on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ryan,
    Fan booing is what it is on the pro level, fans expect results and when they don’t get wins they get angry. Detroit is a big sports town where we have had champions in every sport and the one sport we want a championship the most is football. As great as the Tigers are now, the Red Wings have always been and the Pistons have been, this is a football town more than anything. People who follow this team are very happy to see the players that have come here and we are expecting greatness from so many people on this team. I think your post here is on the money, but I would add to it the players need to get back to basics; hand positioning when catching and creating seperation, blocking and tackling, and good vision and spinning out of tackles to extend a play. This team has the making of a championship run and with good communication, disciplined play and fans supporting the team like no other fans we will all see it.

ROAR LIONS!

2. By Daniel DeVries II on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

No disrespect but, look at the history of the Detroit Lions. Your fans “us” have never turned our backs on our beloved Lions. Though when you spend over 300 $ befor the first snap, We get a little frustrated too see our guys look lathargic and un-interested in week 4 of a Divisional game. Enjoy your week off and go get those Eagles!

3. By rockbo1955 on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

As a long time fan I understand how you feel as a player! The society we live everything is instant and people have no time for anything! To me they our not true fans of lions! I have been a Detroit lions fan for 46 years ! we get angry and say things we don’t mean! But Booing is not in my vocabulary ! Being a Vietnam vet I know how you feel but my motto has always been when things get tough you have to get tougher and keep pounding until you break through and keep going to the end ! I hope you have a great games the rest of the season and long after that as a Detroit lion! My hope is that your name will be up with the great WR we have had the best runner ever in Barry Sander I wish he was playing now with the passing we have he would run through the defense today and would run for a million yards ! Well thank you for talk about a tough subject! GO LIONS!

4. By WatchThis on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

He is right. If we’re the 12th player, and we’re not cheering our team on, then who is? Is the defense sitting on the bench booing the offense and vice versa? No. When I heard there was some booing in week 1 after the 3 interceiptions, I was shocked myself. That doesn’t help Stafford or the team. We’re not a good 12th player if we’re booing and not encouraging. Who would want to play for our team long term. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been tough being a Lion’s fan for so long. It’s probably in our culture to boo fast. But, for a good team, we need to change US.

5. By Sam on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Have never boo’d my Lions at a Game, Never Will! Go Lions! Win or Lose never givin Up hope!!!

6. By Michael on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Mr, Broyles I don’t like booing as well but you have to understand that Oklahoma has had a winning tradition for as long as I can remember. If they had 50+ years of continued loosing and players just going through the motions as well as poor coaching do you think you wouldn’t hear booing in the stands with a tradition like that. Oklahoma because of their winning expects a finish product that produces wins. I don’t think the fans would except poor coaching, players not playing up to their abilities and god given talent and continued decades of loosing. You are certainly correct in your assumption that it is different in the NFL than college as in college you are not making millions of dollars are still only kids to young adults and learning what life is all about. Most people who were paid in the millions and perform on their jobs like the Lions have shown the first 4 weeks would be fired most certainly on the spot. No other job in the world would allow for missed assignments, pour work ethics, going through the motions, and an abysmal attitude the Lions have showcased so far. I hope the Lions recover but with a much harder schedule the rest of the year most people’s hope are dwindling fast. You are in Detroit and the fans have suffered more than any other team in the last half a century. If players like yourself want the booing to stop then everyone needs to be accountable and do the job they are supposed to do most certainly the coaching staff as well.

7. By Sage on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

The boos were earned, & you should understand that. Every time the Lakers played horribly & LA fans booed them, Kobe would say, “We deserved to be booed. Fans don’t pay to see us & have us play like that. They deserve better from us. I’d have booed us too.”

8. By Don on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Ryan,

First and foremost, welcome to the NFL. I am looking forward to watching you develop in this league and become a big part of our offense in the future. You were drafted high because of your accomplishments in college and your potential, and I am confident you will live up to it.

I was at the game last week, and for maybe only the 3rd or 4th time in 20 years, I found myself booing. Not because we were losing and not because I paid good money to come watch you play after anxiously waiting all week for game day… only to see our team lay an egg. I was booing after the team, and the coaches, continued to make the same mistakes they made the week before. It seems the team is just not learning from mistakes everyday week – stupid penalties, kickoff and punt returns for touchdowns, overpursuing, and missed tackles, among other things. Dropped passes will happen to the best receivers, but not every game and not when the game is on the line.

Don’t misunderstand the booing. We are with you, and some of us are emotionally invested in this team through thick and thin. Every Spring time we start looking forward to August, and then we look forward to each and every Sunday until the season is over. But when we cement ourselves in front of the TV or come down to the stadium on Sundays, we can’t handle the constant repetitive mistakes, and some of that goes back to coaching. I would rather us lose to a good team because they were better than you, not because of repetitive mistakes or lack of preparation. The Titans and Vikings are not better than you, but you made them look like they were.

The team and coaches need to review, learn, prepare, and execute. You can’t surprise teams anymore, they know exactly what they are getting when they play the Lions, and they expect you to play at a high level. They’re studying you and coming after you, and you need to respond.

Good luck on the road and make everyone proud!

9. By Mr Pink on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Sage…well said. Dropped passes, penalties, and lack of discipline is really hard to watch for Lion’s fans we know that the team is capable of much better. Oklahoma is a well known football force winning many championships and Lion’s fans while supportive our record books do not looks so bright.
    - Detroit Lions set NFL record for longest touchdown plays allowed
    - 0-16 record

Would you say you were proud of the teams performance? You guys are not playing like the team you are capable of.

10. By Nichole on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Ryan-I just want you to know that I have been a die hard Lions fan forever and I have never and will never boo the Lions!! I will always cheer for you boys!! Never give up!! Keep your heads up and come out and fight!!!! Goooooo Lions!!!

11. By Andrea L. Molinari on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Ryan,

First of all: Welcome to the Lions. We are glad that you are here.

Second, as the others have said so well…there is a history here. Trust me, after the last decade of Lions “football” there are only loyal fans left. We have earned the right to boo. Believe it. The boos come precisely because we care NOT because we don’t.

For me (and I speak only for me), I can accept the Lions losing a game or games BUT what I will never accept is such a poor effort. It is one thing to give it your all and be beaten by a better team or to be edged out in a ‘photo finish’ of sorts. That happens. But we lost to two teams (Titans and Vikings) that are NOT better than us. Really? It took two special teams scores per week to lose to those guys. Wow. Lame.

What I want is to see the Lions play to the best of their ability every week and I will take the Ws and Ls as they come.

12. By Charley B on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Ryan;

I’ve been a Lions fan for most of my 64 years. I grew up near old Tiger Stadium and remember them winning their last Championship. Over the the next 55 years I’ve seen it all as a fan, more ways to lose in the last moment of a game than a teamful of fingers and toes to count on. I have endured endless jokes and insults because of my loyalty, not to mention lost bets.
    But last Sunday was the worst effort in years by what, on paper, looks like the best Lions team ever. I won’t even stop to make the Paper Lions joke, that stopped being funny in about 1965.
    And it all boiled down to a few things. P-poor play on special teams, so poorly coached that they managed to find a new historical record to set. Crossman is a bad joke and was in Carolina too. So that’s one thing.
    Another was the questionable offensive play-calling. Predictable, even the drunk clowns in the seats next to me who think they know football could call out the play. If you can look at the film, look at the receiver routes. How about some stuff using the 10-15 yard area behind the lb’s in the middle of the field. More slants, more crossing routes. I am surprised at Linehan not figuring out how to use the best receiver group in the league. Hint: it isn’t about not having Best to draw the opponent off Calvin. He can catch.
    But our receiver’s do need to remember how to catch. Nate is heroic out there. He at least will go over he middle and take a hit but still catch the ball. But still not enough pass plays to offset the drops. And don’t they ever tell the guys how many yards they need to get a 1st down? Getting 7 when you need 9 got old a very long time ago.
    And one of our d-linemen looks like it lights up before the game and then loads up on munchies before he hits the field. Overall the defense played well, well enough to win. The current and always questionable O-line played down to expectations. Can’t quite protect a quarterback, can’t quite make a hole for a runner. But we’ve won despite that before.
    So, yeah, I was a boo-er because enough is enough. The WORST special teams in league and quite possibly the history of the game, considering their historical record setting performance. I lay that at Crossman’s feet though, because I think they have enough talent. The talent differential isn’t that great league-wide on special teams. But there is a huge difference between our coach and the others.
    And guys, you make more in one-season than I made in a lifetime of hard work where I was expected to “get it done” for no cheering. Yet, I have season tickets to watch my favorite team do what? Get overpaid and under-perform?
    It is a shame and always has been, that so many good and great players have been Lions on teams with so many losers alongside them. Always a problem with guys taking plays off, or bad coaching or whatever excuse you want to give. Just ask Barry.

13. By simms on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Well 1st of all, I am tired of the lions losing.. its been this way for 40 some years since I have been watching. Enough is enough, Boo? hell yes, it means your tired of below average play by millionaires who don’t care and coaches who are to stuped and owners like ford who only use this team as a tax wright off.. Wake up you Fools, they deserve to get booed when they play like high school teams. iF you don’t boo, they you are a lover of losers and your saying thats it ok to lose every year..

14. By simms on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Broyles, get out of detroit as fast as you can when you get the chance, you will be on a team that loses every year, SO GET USED TO THE BOO’S,,

15. By simms on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

I am 46 years old, great shape. I will out perform suh. I will get more sacks, takles than this over rated piece of dog poo,.. any time suh, I will out due your over rated azz

16. By Timarie on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Ryan,

I’m a lifetime OU fan. I’m so sorry that happened to you. I guess that’s how it does kinda work in the NFL. We will ALWAYS love you. I was heartbroken when you got hurt, but I’m so happy that you recovered to play. You made Landry a better quarterback and, for that matter, all of the team better. Thanks for all the great years you gave us and good luck in Detroit! I know you can give those fans some awesome football.

17. By John Lehnert on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

I have been a Lions fan since 1956 and a season ticket holder since the Lions have been at Ford field. I have never booed the team even though sometimes I feel like it because of frustration. You have to remember that for many of us fans, we haven’t had a championship team for many years. For most of us, what you guys make in a couple of years is more than we will make in a lifetime of work. If we would perform the way some of this team performs, our employer would fire us. So please try to understand the frustration level here. Personally I think this season is close to a wash, given the upcoming road games you are facing. But I will be glued to my seat at home cheering and hoping for the best. If somehow you guys find a way to win those games, trust me, your fans will be back. They are loyal.

18. By lionsgonewild on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Lion fans have other Detroit teams to root for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but want to root for a WINNING LIONS team.
    We have suffered the slings and arrows of 0-16 seasons and Millen years..
    Now our team gives us a 1-3 start with the next two games possible losses..
    It is hard to root for the under dog Lions even when they are favored..
    Don’t take the boos personally ,,,,,it is our job, and your is winning.

19. By Alert on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Perhaps Mr.Broyles didn’t beef up on his Detroit Lions history. I’ve heard lots of boo’s while watching the Lion’s on TV. If Broyles was so upset by the boos maybe he should’ve taken up a spot on special teams and pulled a Vince Papale on someone. One of the biggest things I’ve noticed this year is that there’s no ST smashers on the team this year. What’s happened to the Detroit Lions Blue Collar attitude? They’re playing like a rich bunch of kids I worked with who were only working to buy themselves new toys and had no work ethic or fire.It was a warehouse job and my crippled self worked circles around them.That’s what they’re playing like this year.I actually asked myself the other day, “when did everyone decide they wanted to be Roy Williams”? And am I the only one who dislikes reading Coach’s answers during pressers? The Press should just start answering themselves it would be more entertaining by a mile. I miss Killer :-(

20. By Charley B on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

You just can’t give 14 Free Points away, make your opponent earn them. Stan Kwan didn’t know ST, Danny Crossman seems as clueless. Before it is too late, replace this loser. Gotta be somebody out there that knows how to coach ST. Talent-wise our ST is on par with everyone else’s. It’s about the coaching.
    Our offense and defense would have won the last two games, maybe the SF game too but you cannot win by spotting your opponent 14 points. He claims responsibility? Then quit or get fired. If any of you blue or white collars workers were as inept, myself included, screwed up this bad we’d get canned. Once, you can live with and say gotta learn from my mistakes. But twice in consecutive weeks? History making?
    And isn’t it time we did some real simple things like kick it out of the end zone?
    And why don’t we ever get 7 on a kick or punt return?

21. By rockbo1955 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Ryan hope you understand that some these comments our spring boards for the discontent who always see the dark side of everything! Please do not leave this team and take to heart the positive side and play your heart and do not listen to the bad side of Detroit lions fans!

22. By Adam on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I agree we should not be booing our players. Maybe after a bonehead stomp to the head or a dumb penalty, but not just outright booing our squad. They need us behind them. We are all in this together. We need to fill Ford Field with a collective; positive; protective bubble. Go Lions!

23. By derick cleveland on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I agree with most of the comments it would be hard for me to boo the Lions but if I did it would be because someone is dropping the ball todedication of the basics.It hurt so bad to see the things that happen in tenneesee then for you guys to come home and do the same exact things was to fustrating for the most loyal fan. I think it has come to the point that Linehan cannot scheme any further than he has, and special teams coach just is out of his element they the oppoents have studied his approach and is showing him his lunch or inability. Look I could do the same thing he is doing for a lot less and probably better results. He keeps talkin perrsonel well I do not want to hear that these are proffessionals and if you coch them with a proper scheme results will sink in repetition brings on good habits

24. By Chris on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I would hope that you can make adjustments during the game or or maybe this week come out and play like you only have 2 minute left on the clock because outside looking in you lions play with passion when the game is on the line.

25. By David on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ryan,

Welcome to the NFL and the Detroit Lions. I liked picking you up in the draft, keep your routes tight and focus on the catch. We need a solid #2 receiver to take advantage of the coverage Megatron draws, right now that isn’t happening.

P.S. – If you actually read these blogs, tell Matt to try and have some fun. His best games were the ones where he was joking with refs and laughing on the sideline.

Relax and have fun!

26. By jordan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

why is simms even on this page only real lions fans not the ones who jump on board like last year when we were 5-0

27. By tommy on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I HAVE NEVER BOOED THE LIONS,BUT I HAVE BEEN TICKED OFF ALOT OF TIMES..WE FANS TOO ARE COMING OFF OF A YEAR OF OUR TEAM MAKING THE PLAY-OFFS AND THIS SEASON WE EXPECT LAST YEARS PLAY-OFFS TO BE THE STARTING POINT THIS YEAR….FOR OUR TEAM TO START 1-3 THIS YEAR DOES NOT MEAN THAT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A BAD YEAR,IT JUST MEANS THAT WE ARE NOT STARTING LIKE WE DID LAST YEAR AT 5-0. I AM SURE THAT WHEN WE GET DELUMS,AND BEST BACK,THAT WILL HELP BECAUSE THEY WERE THERE WHEN WE WENT 5-0. BEST WILL HELP TO OPEN UP THE FIELD FOR CALVIN JOHNSON,AND OUR RECEIVING CORE. WITH LOU,BACK IN HIS SAFETY POSITION,WILL HELP OUR OTHER DBs GET IT TOGETHER IN THE SECONDARY. OUR SPECIAL TEAMS NEED TO PLAY TOGETHER OR GET OFF OFF THE FIELD. SPECIAL TEAMS IS THE ONLY WAY MANY PLAYERS MAKE THE 53 MAN ROSTER,AND IF THEY CAN NOT COVER ON SPECIAL TEAMS,THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN A LIONS UNIFORM .WE HAVE 12 MORE GAMES TO PLAY AND I HOPE THAT WE CAN WIN AT LEAST 9-10 OF THEM. WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAVE THERE IS NO REASON FOR US TO GO BACKWARDS FROM LAST YEAR. I AM A LIONS FAN FOR LIFE,AND NO MATTER WHERE I HAVE TRAVELED AROUND THE WORLD IN THE MILITARY I HAVE ALWAYS LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE LIONS ARE THE BEST EVEN IN OUR 0-16 SEASON……….I AM NOT GIVING UP ON THEM NOW …..GO DETROIT LIONS!!!!!!!

28. By Kelly Mitchell on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Thank you for your blog post and welcome. I was at the game that day but my group was NOT booing, nor would we ever do that. We know how hard all of the guys train and respect them as athletes. I guess you can appreciate the passion that this team elicits in its fans, if nothing else. Don’t let the booing make you think they are against you. I believe they feel just as strongly as you do about playing well and do not have any other way to vent their frustration. We all know this team is better than they have showed.

Yes, we were disappointed we travelled 2.5 hours and paid $$$ to see a game like that! But, as a brand new fan to the Lions I will say that I enjoyed being there very much and look forward to the rest of the season. Go Lions!!!!!