Johnson: “New motto within the WR room: ‘No more Mr. Nice Guy’”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 10, 2012 – 4:33 pm

“Being on a three-game losing streak doesn’t change our mentality, though we have a new motto within the receivers room: “no more Mr. Nice Guy.” We need to turn up our intensity a little bit, especially in our position. We’re not playing bad by any means, but we can turn up our intensity and make more plays happen to help out in the run game a little more. That’s kind of what we’re focusing on right now.

“Finding a rhythm on offense has been tough because we’re seeing a lot of different coverages. We have to adapt to it. That’s our job. We can’t just let defenses keep doing what they’re doing or they’re going to keep on doing it. It’s a copycat league – we have to come up with something to answer against it. So if defenses want to play two-man or double me, somebody else has to step up and make plays.

“I’m looking forward to going up against the Eagles’ defense. This might be a chance where we get quite a bit of one-on-one in a game, which we haven’t seen since early last year, really. It’s going to be good for us at the receiver positions, tight ends, everybody that’s touching the ball on offense has the chance to have a good game.

“Philly is one of the most hostile environments that I’ve played in. I’ve played in most of them but, besides Oakland, they’re up there. One thing I know we need to do is go out there on point. We started off with a good practice today. We need to get on top and get their fans to start booing them a little bit because I know they’ll do it.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Johnson: “New motto within the WR room: ‘No more Mr. Nice Guy’””

1. By EnglishLion on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Nothing but respect and admiration for you guys from sunny Britain! C’mon guys you can make us proud this weekend!!!

2. By Toni on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

The offensive coordinator has to design better plays to free receivers. Agressiveness

3. By marcus on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Cal I have no problem with you bro much Love.

4. By Sagmich on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Calvin, Anything you can do to light a fire under the rest of the WR’s is alright with me. You are the best.

5. By JP O'Flaherty on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

CJ, You always give 100%, it is the REST of the crew that needs to make themselves worthy to play opposite you. Burelson had a solid game last game, but Young, and Broyles need to get open. ALL TE’s need to CATCH the ball when Matt is scrambling for his life. Beating the deep zone by the safeties is the Offensive Coordinator’s job, and he needs to wake up and get creative.
    Also, when the hell is Swartz going to insist on keeping a BIG blocking back or Heller in the backfield to protect Matt’s blind size. The loss of a receiver isn’t NO biggy, if Matt gets blindsided and hurt the season is over (Again). RBs thatn is for the upcoming draft, of which we will have an active role drafting again in the top 15 for sure!

6. By jordan on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

you should not come to this page anymore top 15? what a joke real lions fans only thankyou!

7. By Michael Lordan on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

You go, Megatron! You’re an amazing athlete! You guys…. All the way, this season!

8. By Cathy on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

I believe in the lions they will bounce back and show everyone what the are made of

9. By derick cleveland on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

CJ I know you can only do what your coaches put on the table so much love to you and your crew, my thing is they have been doing copycat all season and i have not seen any changes by your coaches and the last game I was just praying for you the unnecessary hits you took. Some want to criticize the pass you dropped in the endzone well I would like to see anyone of them hold on to that ball with the same conditions you was under. I want a win but not at the price of your health have a good safe game Sunday

10. By Lori on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Calvin…I have a feeling our Lions are going to make headlines soon!!!! The roar is so close and it’s our time to shine. No more Mr Nice Guy is a great start…we can do this!!! You Lions mean sooo much too the fans and I for one am behind you no matter what.

11. By carol wadsworth on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Calvin Johnson, not only u , that needs to capatieize in playing it,s the whole team they have to be tough and fast they have to know their job.schwartz needs to get tougher on the guy,s they have to be abel to take hits and not get hurt. if ya get hurt that means u are not tough enough. it,s as simple as that. i hope we can be proud of our lions this wk end. cant give up on ya,s love the team 2 much, always will. thanx for listening.

12. By sabrina poe on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

calvin your the best love all the lions lets go detroit rock the nfl

13. By source7769 on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

why does it take 5 weeks for players to get motivated???

14. By Tania Hitsman on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Way to set your standards high Calvin! All it takes is one player to be intense and show they want it for the rest of the team to follow! Been a lions fan since I was born through and through, keep roaring!!

15. By rockbo1955 on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

CJ you play every down and you our the best! I wish young would get fired up and lets see more of Broyles out there he has had only a one play sorry the statement from the person getting down on broyles is dead wrong! give him some more reps and he will try his hardest ! bench young till hes ready to play! very slow starter and is total absent out there right now!GO LIONS !

16. By aaron on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

its not our running back or blocking thats a problem, it’s the offensive coordinators creativeness with the run game that hurts us- there are a thousand options with the run game but he’ll only run 3 all game long- creativity- and btw what madden curse?

17. By Oldcat on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

I wonder the same. Why are they just now getting motivated to play better? There’s nothing wrong with having to drive the field methodically. It’s the sensible counter when defenses are keeping both safeties deep to prevent the big plays. It’s the poor route running and dropped passes that have been killing drives, more so than not having a dominating run game. If certain players could focus better at catching and securing the ball the offense has the ability to adapt and consistently maintain scoring drives. My biggest question is how can a player with such large hands be so drop prone? I think everyone knows who I’m talking about, and it’s certainly not CJ.

18. By Sagmich on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

I was thinking the same thing. Now all of a sudden they are getting motivated to play better. Not that Calvin has not he has. I know exactly who you are talking about and Pettigrew does not concentrate on some catches and on others he is thinking to much about getting the yardage and running before he can secure the ball. At least that is what I have seen. I have a feeling he is afraid of contacty. I could be wrong though.

19. By Boober 19 on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Die hard lions fan from Vancouver, BC, 42 years old, been watching for 28 years,let’s all relax, we finally have team worth watching, if we ever get Best and Leshoure healthy at the same time we can out score are brutal defense, prediction we take wide reciever in 1st round next draft…

20. By Rev. M.E. Bradfield on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Detroit will pull through the rough times, you always have and always will. Calvin you are a great player and a great team player. God Bless you

21. By frank on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

THE LIONS NEED 2 THINGS TO BE SUCCESSFUL. 1 LEADERSHIP 2. CAN’T GIVE UP MORE BIG PLAYS THAN YOU ARE GETTING

DON’T RUN ON 3RD DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DON’T GET DUMB PENALTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!