Broyles: “Nate’s really set the tone for me to come in and work hard”

Posted by Tara Altman on October 24, 2012 – 5:08 pm

“It feels good to have gotten my first career touchdown. Ever since camp I’ve been doing as much as I can, like I’ve been saying, going through practice everyday at full speed and preparing myself. It’s not cool that Nate went down, but I felt like I was prepared to come in.

“He’s an emotional leader for us, so his presence is going to be missed. But he’s still going to be with us every step of the way. To have a leader like that, a veteran guy like that on the receiver corp, he’s a guy you look forward to seeing make a big play.

“He talks the talk and he walks the walk, so he’s definitely a guy we looked toward to come in every day and set the tempo. He’s been doing that for us. With him going down, especially me a slot behind him, he’s really set the tone for me to come in and work hard.

“At 2-4, it’s not a good position to be in, but it’s a long season. It’s what the coaches have been harping on. We play a tough schedule, but we’ve got to continue to come in here every day and grind. As an offense, we definitely don’t feel like we’re out of it, and the defense has been playing really well. We have to continue to strive to be the best that we can be.

“Eight-and-5 was the worst season I went through at Oklahoma, so this is a new tempo, a new outlook on things. You have to be optimistic. This is a long season, our guys still have to come in here and prepare. We’re not even halfway through yet, so we have to continue to do what we can and prepare as hard as we can to get out there and get some wins.”

Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Broyles: “Nate’s really set the tone for me to come in and work hard””

1. By marcus on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Ryan you did good for the time u played. Now teams are going to game plan against you so just be yourself and burn the turf up I see you Man!

2. By ghost on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Coaching is lacking. Not necessarly the head coach, but the others.

3. By Dennis Beaty on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

I hope they saw that you were wide open on the left hand side of the endzone when they were trying to force the ball to Calvin Johnson on First Down. I realize that he is a great receiver, but he’ll get more wide open opportunities if they aren’t so predictable about going to him. You looked great. Boomer Sooner — Beat Notre Dame.

4. By fgh on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Ryan you did great I’ve been waiting to see you play all season and you did exactly what i thought you would. Now you just gotta burn Seattle. Season isn’t over yet.

5. By Jeep on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Coaching is starting to bug me…I think the coaches have gotten tunnel vision and arent making the proper adjustments…..BROYLES, I see you too homey I’ve seen you since your days at OU and was stoked when we took you in the 2nd round…..help get this offense going IK you can get open!!!

6. By bmkmd on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Great start to a Lions’ career. You can really help by getting free in the middle, because there have to be openings with both safeties deep to protect against Calvin. Make them pay for it.

7. By Hogfish on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

With any new receiver there is adjustment to the NFL. Learning the plays and correct route running with eyes on the QB. The catch.
    From 2000 to 2012 two winning seasons, a 58 -134 record. What you saw in college was nothing. Be apart of the turn around.

8. By frank ribble on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

can broyles win the starting return job on special teams? our returners can’t catch the ball. would be a nice change, if we won a game on special teams instead of lost it. would like to see a 2 back formation with boyles & johnson as receivers. would love to see suh or heller come in as a short-yardage fullback. what do lions have to lose? lions need to get mad & punish teams for the way they are shutting down calvin. having a second receiver step up is what calvin needs. lions need to learn from their mistakes and make adjustments. execution & no penalties are the key! if the lions stop beating themselves they could end up 12-4. i believe! if you are lucky enough to have tickets get loud. lions need to win out at home to have any chance of making the playoffs. stafford will be the best qb in the league when he believes in himself and the team executes plays & stops making dumb penalties.

9. By bmkmd on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Ryan,

This is your opportunity to show what you can do. Take it and run with it.

They asked Kobe Bryant during one of the Championship runs wether or not he was anxious or worried about winning, and he said No. I practiced my whole life for opportunities like this, I’m excited not worried.

Seems like you, ryan, have the same spirit. This is a great opportunity for you.