Johnson: “I see my leadership extending beyond the receivers room”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 24, 2012 – 5:11 pm

“My impression of the game is that there were plays left on the field from turnovers. I had a drop. We can’t turn the ball over down there. I didn’t realize until after the game that we were in the red zone three times and turned the ball over. That flip flops points on the board, but our defense came through and stopped them.

“The defense is playing their ass off so far this season. It’s our job to put points up and we haven’t really been able to get clicking yet. It’s going to come. You can’t panic right now because we still have a lot of football to play.

“I’m going to start working with our young receivers. We brought in Brian and then getting Broyles ready to play. I told both of them we’ll start watching film together. Just coach them up. I’m coached by Shawn everyday so I can take what I know from him. They’ll receive it a lot better coming from another player.

“It sucks not having Nate. We’re going to lose the spirit, energy and leadership he brings during the week, during practice and in the game. In our room, I have to try to do my best to fill in for Nate. He’s still going to be here, but at the same time – on the field – I have to do a better job of bringing more energy and leading those guys out there.

“I see my leadership extending beyond the receivers room. Guys come up to me every game talking about how ‘we need you,’ ‘we gotta get the offense going for us’ – things like that. No pressure, it’s just they look to me to help spark the offense.

“I’m not one to yell, but if it is something that needs to be corrected and that’s just blatant, then that’s a reason I’d get fiery. I won’t fire off on a teammate for messing up on something, but if it’s something continuously hurting the team, then I’ll say something. I do see that my teammates do listen, so I don’t have problems giving it to them.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Johnson: “I see my leadership extending beyond the receivers room””

1. By turostar on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Was easy to see through the mistakes something happening I saw a light I felt something strong and the day after the loss the feeling of the Lions coming together stronger than ever manifested. Great Job N.Suh and the rest of the defense provided the elite offense with great opportunites.. Missing Nate B. love you Nate!

2. By angela carter on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

megatron..
    here’s my pep talk-im originally from the D. you guys are a GREAT team. The thing is, you (the lions) rep a city that has heart. NO MATTER WHAT WE HAVE HEART! No matter what anybody else says you all can get that W. When,you all get down about whatever on the field…remember that you are out there playing YOUR game and Lions come to bring it and win EVERY quarter til its over. I know you know all this already but this is just my two cents. FOR ME ITS LIONS ALL DAY BABY!!!!!

3. By TT E on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Calvin! We have faith in you.. Please turn it around!
    Biggest fan in NJ with Lions season tickets (go figure) :-)

4. By Ryan on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

I love this post, CJ. I know Nate was a leader in the locker room, and he’s a spirited guy, but he’s not the true leader, the true foundation of the offense. It’s you and Matt. Everyone knows you’re the best receiver in football, especially opposing DCs, and if you can coach up some of these younger guys, like Titus (who really needs it) Ryan, we can really spread out the offense.

I’m really glad that you are taking up the mantle of leader. We love your energy, your composure, and discipline. If those qualities can be coached up on the younger receivers, we are going to be a force to be reckoned with for sure.

Keep on being Megatron, us Detroit fans love having you on the team and are glad that you’re a Lion. Good luck to you and stay healthy, I root for you guys every Sunday in my #81 jersey!

5. By marcus on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Calvin man I cant call it. Its been rough is hell watching and listening to people chat same ol lions. Being a lions fan is like being a geek in school being bullied. Im couch coaching but I know Hustle and Effort beats talent anytime I rather have no name players that hustle teams to death then to have talent that is to pretty to break a sweat.

6. By Randy on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Well said Calvin!

I think the one that really needs a talk is Matthew. Yes, there are balls being dropped and turnovers, but Matt is over throwing, under throwing, not making good reads, etc. I think when the two of you are in sync…the whole team gets in sync. However, teams have figured out Linehan’s strategy of just sending you deep in double or triple coverage and trying to get the jump ball. It’s not going to work as much when it’s seems to be the consistent game plan. I don’t know why they aren’t utilizing you for 10, 12, 15 yard plays…….they move the ball two. Even ten yards at a time your still getting first downs and down the field; chewing up game clock. Right now all the CB and S are just setting back 20 or 30 yards every play and waiting. I am not gonna lie..last week my fantasy team took a pretty hard hit not having your mega points lol. But, if Matt gets it together and Linehan changes things up a little I think it will get better. You are by far the BEST wide receiver in the league, but you can be as good as the team helping you. Good luck with everything, I think you guys can turn things around with the type of positive attitude and assertiveness you are taking with other players. Huge bummer about Nate. Nate is an awesome guy and will be missed for sure.

Oh, I also have a copy of the magazine you and Matt were on the cover of I am gonna send to the facility in Detroit and I am really hoping you can sign it for me. I have terrible anxiety disorders and cant ever get down to any games or player events like I wish I could.

Take care,

Randy

7. By ghost on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

I continue to say two things. If the talent on the field is there and it is, then it must be in the coaching staff. Secondly, no one on the team reads our posts.

8. By David H on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

As I matured and worked my way up in the company , making it into Mgmt. My mentor said to me one day that’s why you make the big bucks , coach and train every body must row in same direction or throw them off the ship

9. By Dave Saunders on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey Calvin,

I feel a pro set offense may help, with two backs in the backfield, it would confuse the defense in who was getting the ball, you guys have two good backs with decent recieving hands and those little swing passes out of the back field would wear out the linebackers and possibly call for the safeties to come up and help. Not only that but in pass situations one or both could become extra blockers in the backfield, any thought on this?

10. By James on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah don’t start Kevin Smith !!! Great idea those rookies are really stepping up!! Our coaches are a joke Martin Mayhew help !!!!!!

11. By James on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Oh great

12. By James on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

I wanted to say thank you for all you do … as a fan i appreciate every minute …. things happen during a game that can be discouraging to say the least …. but if homie didnt fumble on the one … you guys win the game … things happen … one word of advice dont ever let them see you sweat :) it isnt over till its over …. thanks again for all the thrills and excitement …. youll get them next week !!!

13. By Hogfish on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Team leadership that lends supportive advise accomplishes more. Motivation.
    The Lions are better than the path towards a 4 -12 team they are on.
    In all sports you can’t win if you don’t score.
    Two minute drills and hurry up are trends that encourage focus and desire.
    Ball movement. Adjustments. Confidence.
    It starts in the first quarter and ends in the fourth.

14. By redwingliger on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

That’s what I like about Calvin the most is that he isn’t a pre-Madonna, or diva, and he’s all about the team, not his personal statistics. I think he could help out our young receivers a lot and maybe he can get through to Titus Young with regard to his maturity issues now that he’s taking on more of a leadership role. I’m sure that Titus is feeling a lot of frustration this year because he hasn’t been targeted much, and when he is he’s usually having to lay out to make a spectacular catch because of how inaccurate Spafford has been all year.

15. By Zorro on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

Calvin, Why did you agree to be on the Madden cover? By doing so you threw the season away for yourself and the rest of the team, since the team is so dependent on you. The curse is no longer a myth. Facts are facts. Look at the list of Madden cover superstars. ALL OF THEM WENT DOWN! Larry Fitzgerald dodged it when he shared the cover with Troy, but Troy went down. Obviously, the Madden Curse doesn’t share. If there are two players on the cover, then the curse will pick one, and leave the other alone. At this point in time it would be more difficult for someone to disprove the curse by using factual evidence. The verdict is clear. The Madden Curse is a fact. Statistics prove this to be true, and Calvin’s agreement to be on the cover not only ruined the season for himself, but the whole team. What were you thinking Calvin? A fact is a fact and the truth is the truth. You should’ve stayed away from the Madden cover!

16. By ghost on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Zorro, Zorro, Zorro. The Dark Ages called and they want their superstition back.

17. By ghost on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

By the way. Players and coaches do not read these comments.