Johnson: “When I get one-on-one, yeah I want the ball”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 31, 2012 – 4:14 pm

“The key last week for the offense was converting third downs. We were 12 for 16. We did a pretty dang good job on third down. One thing I did notice in the huddle, guys were definitely focused and guys took it upon themselves to make a play when we got in that situation.

“Having Titus, Scheff and Pettigrew step up is huge – especially Pettigrew because he’s moving in between the hashes doing a lot of work in there. A lot of times when we catch zones or something like that, there’s a lot of openings in there. He was able to do that.

“TY was able to exploit them on the outside deep down the field. That was huge for us. That was one thing that was preached all week that we can’t stop running outside because they might let a route go and that’s exactly what they did. He got behind them for a touchdown. Scheffler, same thing. He’s dynamic as far as tight end/receiver.

“If they keep that up that means I get more balls – no doubt. We saw some single-high in the last few games, too. I’ll see the ball more and more if they want to keep doctoring them up, doctoring up coverages. Matt’s getting more comfortable with hitting TY and some of the other receivers.

“If the defense is coming with me, if I’m getting more than one person, I don’t have a problem with somebody else getting the ball because they’re one-on-one. You take advantage of your one-on-one matchups. When I get one-on-one, yeah I want the ball.

“Getting back to .500 would be huge for us. We’re not exactly where we wanted. Winning would put us in good position to finish out this season. We started off 2-4 at one point and now to be able to win two straight games, win 3 out of 4 of our second quarter games. That has us going in the right direction with a little more confidence.

“We can get a little win streak going and hopefully we take that to the second half of the season.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Johnson: “When I get one-on-one, yeah I want the ball””

1. By JP O'Flaherty on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

It took a couple of games but finally someone realized they had to get open and hang on to the ball besides you CJ. If they continue to do that, and Matt has confidence in them catching the ball and not dropping it, the offense is unstoppable. There is no reason with the quality receivers you have that a defense can ever stop your offense as long as Matt doesn’t get sacked, and the other receivers hang on to the ball. Last game was an excellent example of that being played out. Pettigrew, Scheffler, Young and Broyles all have to contribute like last game, and it’s about time.

2. By Dave Moore on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I would love to see you get the ball in stride more and not see you have to leave your feet. I hate it (as I’m sure you do) when you go up for a ball and they hit you low and bring you down on your back. Seems like it happens a lot.

3. By Ron Serling on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

You know I hear all these critics of our Lions sayin last year was a fluke and this year it is the Madden curse !! Horse puckey, no foul language allowed, as we are still sorting things out and we do have a turn stile of injuries but once you see things start to click look out as this team has big potential. My main concern is still penalties !!! We seem to draw way more than necessary and those are the things that can kill our offense on a drive or help theirs on their drives !! I see it happen all to often and it makes me cringe. I always laugh at people that say they aren’t throwing enough to CJ but look what all these D’s are doing to him, a bunch of copycats with their two deep defenders does make it difficult to get open but as te man said if they want to hang a bunch of guys all over him then Titus, Sheff, Brandon or even one of the running backs is going to be open for that cannon we have for a QB to hit him. I saw the game the other day and just after a big pass play I saw Calvin on the side line laughing as to say “Sure, double down on me and we will hurt you somewhere else” !!! Cj will get his passes and the Lions will come out just fine !! Just you wait and see !!! LIONS

4. By Sam Munaser on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Calvin despite the number of touchdowns you got, your still the best and most dominant wide out in the league. Whenever you catch a ball me and my boyz get all hyped up, I can only imagine how pumped your teammates get, YOUR THE ENGINE THAT DRIVES THIS TEAM MEGATRON SO LETS GO BABY!!!

5. By Derek Dahlberg on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Hate how everyone’s questioning CJ this year, the media looks for anything to say what’s wrong with him, don’t bring up he made the two most important 3rd down completions keep up the great work CJ.

6. By Bob on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

How do you plan to fix your hands? I hope you can turn yourself around. You have made some good blocks for the others though- good job. It is obvious you played the way you did last year because the minimal running game and it was a contract year, but when do you plan on getting back? I do not want to compare you to Barry, but I hope you have not become sick of losing there in Detroit and want to walk away. I would not blame you if you did, but I hope the losing history does not overwhelm you.

7. By ali on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

i think CALVIN JOHNSON should get the ball more and the ball should go in the air for like some time because CALVIN JOHNSON well make the catch

8. By ali on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

he the guy i think if i have i well go 16 -0 hes to good i love him he to good and whats going he had 16 tds last and now it week 9 he has 1 wtf

9. By Lovesallsportsexceptgolf on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I think the Lions are in a good place. With the defenses (other teams) completely in fear of Calvin and therefore constantly double and triple covering him (this may be the best thing to have happened), it gives the other ofensive players a chance to contribute significantly and get into a rhythm with Matt Stafford instead of relying on Calvin to carry the team. Then, they realize although Calvin is the face of the team, the workhorse, their efforts too are a factor and also significantly play a role in the win. Regarding the games the Lions lost so far, at least they were in the game. The games were close. They were not blown out. Although they lost, it still says a lot in a good way. The team is close. They need to tweak with the core players they have and get to the place they need to be to ultimately turn those close losses into wins. This is still a young team and with Calvin as their centerpiece, they will get there. If they continue on this path (and stay healthy), I say in another 1, 2 or 3 years, but not later, they will be a perennial playoff contender and win that Superbowl! I believe it and I will be watching for it.

10. By Bob on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

You are one of the top ten receivers in the NFL, but we all know you are the best. I believe it is difficult for any of us to see any less because we know what you are capable of. I credit a great deal of your inability to achieve your goals to Stafford also. He is just too inconsistent. We all know you are great and appreciate what you bring to the team, but we just want you to meet your goals you set for yourself. We know you are a good person and I am glad you are on the Lions team.

11. By John on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Its seems to me that people dont really understand this offense..even most Detroit Fans (not an insult) dont quite get it. most think “oh, we didnt do NOTHING on offense ‘cuz they didnt get Calvin the ball” thats crap. What determines if Calvin is open is the other recievers around him. Scheffler,TY,Pettigrew, whomever….Its just like our Wide 9 defense..if the double team Suh, then its one-on-one with one of our other 3 lineman, just like our recievers…if the double CJ,then either TY,Scheff,or Pettigrew or Broyles is got one-on-one (unless of course the defense is zone). To sum it up, the other recievers are the key to getting calvin the ball, and in the process, this will make the Lions offense more dynamic and efficent. Thus, creating more points.

12. By LionKing on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Umm, you only want the ball on 1 on 1′s?
    I’d want the ball ALL the time regardless of the coverage. Come on, double coverage on a 6’5″ 240lb WR that has over an 8ft wingspan, 12ft catch radius, and an over 36″ vertical? Yeah, I’d want the ball ALL the time ;)

13. By caleb holliday on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

Calvin i hope you get better and yeah your right take the best one-one match ups im a football player for spring high school in texas and i know that what you say is very important, your the best WR in the NFL as far as im concerened and i hope that youll be alright for sunday, i know that the team looks up to you like i do and i know that one of these days you guys will click like last year and finally get that ring on your fingers. good luck and get well soon. im glad that you signed the lions because you help make the difference

14. By Randy Elder on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

IM not hearing the doubters of the teams successes last year it was not a fluke, but this year knowing they are doubling sometimes tripling up on you and setting up in the tampa 2 with their DB’s set so far back why isn’t the coach calling in more run plays some big gains could be made on the ground when they set up like that provided the line opens the gaps and the backs realize if its getting clsed up to hit the number 2 hole are backs have good burst off the line so have faith and run just protect the ball (dont fumble ) That will open up the pass and your numbers will grow,, with that said Go LIONS!!!

15. By WatchThis on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

You guys have been playing much more “perfect” and in sync the last 2 games than the rest of the season. Congrats! If you can keep doing that the rest of the way, you’ll beat these tough teams coming up. No doubt. Keep playing perfect!