Posted by ttwentyman on November 6, 2012 – 4:17 pm

One of the “anonymous” NFL general managers who doesn’t think much of the Lions was back on ProFootballWeekly.com talking about the organization once again today.

This time, remarks were geared toward Lions center Dominic Raiola.

Raiola, if you remember, called out the anonymous source for being cowardess a few weeks ago when a report printed on ProFootballWeekly cited two unnamed general managers saying Lions head coach Jim Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew were “overrated”, and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh belonged on the “All-Hype” team.

That source also said the Lions aren’t as close to being a consistently good team as some have tried to make it seem.

“If they had any (guts), they would say who they were,” Raiola said in response to the first article. “That’s kind of like a coward statement to me.”

One of those general managers obviously took offense to Raiola’s reaction, because this quote showed up on the website’s “Audibles” section today.

“I saw (Lions C) Dominic Raiola called me out, asking who the aimless, anonymous GM is who criticized the great Lions. ‘Who is this person?’ It’s the guy who rejects you every time he watches your tape and thinks you are a complete fraud,” the anonymous GM told the website.

“It’s the guy who didn’t think you could play when you came out of college and still doesn’t think you can play now. … If he spent as much time working the other muscles in his body as he does his jaw, he might have had the chance to be an average backup. You can put that in print.”

Raiola has started 164 games for the Lions over his 12-year career.

Detroitlions.com obtained an email from ProFootballWeekly editor Hub Arkush offering up his apology for printing the comments from an unnamed source directed toward Raiola.

The email was in response to an email sent to Arkush from a reader.

Arkush’s email read:

“You know what? You’re right and I hope you will accept my apologies. As the Publisher and Editor here this was totally my responsibility and I failed Pro Football Weekly, my staff and our readers.

“The Audibles section has been a thorn in my side for some time as I personally have several issues with it, but it is also one of the most popular features we run and the majority of our readers love it so I find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can absolutely guarantee you every word in it comes from over – the – top credible sources but the restriction on getting such gritty, truth – off – the – bone commentary and analysis is if our sources agreed to be quoted most could lose their jobs. Do we give our readers this great, insiders’ analysis and commentary with our guarantee of the quality of the sources, or do we give you none of it because it is anonymous? I suspect you love it when it’s done right and not about your team.

“This was not done right. The original commentary on the Lions was fair and reasonable, as was Raiola’s reaction. But when Raiola called our critic out and we allowed him/her to take a second, personal and yet still anonymous shot at Raiola, that was over the line. You have my promise, we will do better. I’ve blind copied Martin Mayhew, Bill Keenist and Matt Barnhart, the Lions Director of Media Operations so that they can see my apology and in the hopes they will share it with Raiola and let him know that I would like the chance to apologize to him personally as well. I believe we get it right here 99% of the time but when you’re wrong, you’re wrong and I really appreciate you calling it to my attention. You are free to share this e – mail with whoever you like. Thank you, and thanks for reading PFW and taking the time to comment.”

22 Responses to “ProFootballWeekly editor offers apology regarding latest “anonymous” comments toward Raiola”

1. By Alex on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Cowardice*

2. By hyzers on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I doubt this “GM” even exists. My bet is someone from PFW made up the comments to get more readers and to generate buzz.

3. By seanje on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I think your website clocks haven’t been turned back yet for Daylight Savings Time.

4. By Dan on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Cowardice is correct. This anonymous GM is a complete pu***. Ya, it’s easy to call people out when you’re too scared to put your name on it. I feel like journalists should complete ignore these anonymous sources. If you’re a bi***, then shut the F up.

5. By ELo on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Well if your so sorry, go ahead and reveal the name of the GM who made the comment. He should be wearing his big boy panties…

6. By Andrea L. Molinari on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Frankly, I agree with Dom Raiola. These two general managers ARE cowards. In my humble opinion, as a general manager, they are being paid for their opinions: this coach isn’t good enough, this front office guy is or isn’t competent, this player is a backup or starter. That is their job. so, in this case, why can’t these GMs ‘own’ their opinions? That is simply cowardly… you just know these two GMs will smile at Mayhew, Schwartz, Suh and Raiola and pretend that they love them to their face…

Personally, I think that…I do not know enough about offensive line play to judge Railoa as to whether or not he is ‘good enough.’ I do know that a number of Lions coachs (and God knows there have been a few) have NOT identified HIM (or Backus) as a problem that HAD to get fixed.

You will note that my name IS attached to this opinion.

7. By Andrea L. Molinari on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Personally, I think a just punishment for these two GMs would be to have Mr. Suh practice his pass rushing with them. Perhaps he could demonstrate his takedown of Cutler for them.

I wonder if Cutler felt that Suh was a member of the All-Hype team as he lay on the turf of Soldier Field trying to determine if his body was still functional?

8. By h.hajduk@comcast.net on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Tim, “Cowardess” ? Really ? It would be “cowardice” if used properly.

Actually, I think you meant to use the term “cowardly”.

See, people do actually read your column . :-)

Keep up the good work.

Hank Hajduk Riverview, MI

9. By Dave "Waz" on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

These are all good comments and well deserved by “probably never to be named GM”. These fellows must have a very low self esteem that they can’t put their name on their journalistic prowess.

10. By Mikey A on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Being a lions fan all my life, we are the most ‘hated on’ team. They never cut to game breaks of the Lions, only when they are being scored on. People rush to our website to hate on us, which I do not do, because I don’t have the time to go on your teams website. I love the lions, thru thick and thin. But by far, nobody (media-wise) likes the lions. So with that being said, expect the haters. Don’t let it get the best of you. Much love and respect to Raiola, he has been there for us for 12 years. But Lions fans are more rare, and more RAD. We got style. We are hard to come by. Most, if not all of our players are humble. Love it. Don’t change a thing Lions, except in that wins column. :) GO LIONS!!!

11. By Steve on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

If this guy exist, I would lay money down and say its the guy from KC . Didnt him and mayhew have some sort of disagreement ?

12. By JP O'Flaherty on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

The alleged GM’s or experts or whoever, are most probably one of those overpaid “geniuses” who has failed in the past. I totally disagree with any criticism about Coach Schwartz and Mayhew. They have built one of the most talented offensive threats in the league, that is, when all of the Receivers contribute and don’t drop passes.
    The defense has played solid here of late, and minus stupid penalties they can dominate. NOW, they have to prove it when they play Chicago, GB and the other top teams. They have the rest of the year to correct their poor play in the early losses. Raiola? Hmmmm he has been a solid dependable starter for a long time. He has exceeded their expectations, and will at some point soon be replaced with a bigger, better run blocker. (maybe this year?)

13. By John Lehnert on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

It is interesting to me that you would make a weak player a captain. I guess Matthew would be the better one to rate his linemen. or maybe this GM is from Philadelphia where they really know offensive line talent. Just ask Michael Vick from last night. He could probably counts the blades of grass on that field. I hope the Lions just go out and take care of business in the second half of the season. That will put egg on the face of the unknown GM. Gooooo Lions!!!

14. By Joe sharpe on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

You know you are on the right track when they attack you like that. The lions are an up and coming team. Dom is a solid part of a good offensive line that produced over 5000 yards last season. I expect them to do the same this season. Classless backstabbing attacks will become commonplace. As for Suh I continue to marvel at his raw talent and growth. Martin Mahew and Jim Schwartz have brought us hope with picks like Stafford, Johnson and Suh. The future is exciting to me. We may not be a Super Bowl team yet but they definitely are not laughing anymore.

15. By Gary on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Comments like these are obviously pissing the lions off. This team has the talant, and we are showing it 3 wins in the last 4 games, and the bears will feel the rath in week 16. When we get bob sanders back, eer Louis delmas we will be even stronger. Props to Ricardo silva for taking advantage of his opportunity. He will continue to improve. As I wrote in the roar report in July, Ashley Palmer has shown he is going to be a strong physical backer, adding debth at the linebacker position. I am also upset at the total lack of respect stafford is getting. this past Sunday he became the a member of the 10,000 , passing yards club, in less games than a 30 year old Kurt Warner. HELLO! experts he is only 24 years old. Wake up and start giving this guy the respect he deserves. In closing I do not believe a word Hub Arkush has to say. He has been a lions hater since his Chicago days. So please keep those anonymous comments coming Hub, and I will comment back in Febuary from Burbon St. Come on lions! Stay hungry.

16. By fan on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

frankly if i was the detroit lions or even Raiola i would get a lawyer and file suit against pro football weekly for posting the article and then go after the gm for slander

17. By Hogfish on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The author got what he wanted someone upset and responding. Coach says it is all noise ignore it. The talk is going to get deep in the next 8 weeks either for or against. Play well and be well is all that is asked of the entire Lions team. One game at a time, beat Minnesota.

18. By sputzie on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

What an absolute loser that GM is….A real man says what he thinks and then puts his name behind it for emphasis. A coward hides behind the cloak of anonymity and then beats his chest in bravado. the guy is obviously a loser and i am willing to bet he is the GM of a losing sorry ass organization and ball team. Raiola oviously hit a nerve with this guy. I will say it straight up too…your a coward!

19. By sputzie on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Dominic, Your career speaks for itself…..Glad your on my team. Go LIons!

20. By Dennis on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

With respect to the invisible GM…character to a great degree is defined by what you do when no one is looking. This GM has a fundamental gap in this area. One does not turn character off and on. GMs as any other executive and representative of their company are expected to be professional and be the face of their employer. This person fails on all fronts. I laughed when the editor stated that this person remains anonymous because he would be fired if not so.

Darn right he would be fired. I’ve been in the business world for 35 years and if one of my associates did something like this he would no longer be an associate. What his owner doesn’t know is that he has this person in his organization and over time he will discover that this GM is doing more harm than good and will be shown the door.

21. By Greg on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Wow, this is a GM that said these petty childish things?
    He must have been the third grade bully on the playground.
    Or. maybe he is and was the wimp that GOT bullied and needs to feel vengance?
    Is the editor sure he checked the source? Is he really sure the source ISN’T
    a current third grader?

22. By Bryan Beckwith on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Who is this general manager for an NFL team who has nothing better to do then to take jabs at other professionals under the shield of anonymity? With so many targets out there why did he choose the Lions? Is this a working GM or an ex-GM? What ever the answer I am sure he is a real loser in every extent of the word.