Johnson: “I’m feeling alright, not as bad as last week”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on November 7, 2012 – 6:02 pm

“I’m feeling alright, not as bad as last week – not quite as bad. Still some things I have to work on to get better in treatment but it’s definitely not as bad as last week.

“The only experience I’ve had physically that was similar to last week’s game is my rookie year when I had some pretty good back pain. That was tough. You lose some of your focus because you’re thinking about the pain – whenever you make a move it’s hurting.

“The fact that I had a big game is based off the coverage – it always is. We got very favorable coverage, some Cover 1, Cover 3, some Cover 2, but we were able to exploit it more when they were playing single high. At the same time, the running game was working like crazy. They were running the heck out of the ball, Mikel and Joique. Those things contributed to it.

“Going into half time I’m sitting there like, ‘dang I can get 200 yards this game’, but at the same time I’m thinking that our running game is really killing them right now, so I figured we would run the ball to kill the clock. They did a great job of protecting the ball and gaining yards – big chunks, too.

“We got our run game going and that’s a big help. I think it’s an attitude – an edge – that’s really what’s been getting the run game going. The kind of whoop-ass attitude they’ve been coming with.

“They were kicking the opponents’ behinds last few weeks. So if they keep that same attitude, we will hopefully have a lot of the same this week.

“The fact that we won at Minnesota last year definitely gives you a little added confidence going into their place. The way we won and the way we hung in there plus the way we’re playing right now.

“They have a very good defensive front and stopping them will be key. We will have to get in and out of our routes fast, which creates openings for Matt to get us the ball before anything happens with that defensive line.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “Johnson: “I’m feeling alright, not as bad as last week””

1. By marcus on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Do what you have too do so we can be 5-4

2. By von on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Get well soon we need u bae!!!

3. By JP O'Flaherty on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

CJ we owe those bums for stealing the game in Detroit. We can’t be losing to teams like that anymore. The defense has to get after the kid QB and not lot him beat you guys if you are going to have a chance to be a playoff team. Go deep and make them prove they can continue and the other WRs. Also, play the Rookie next to Backus so that crazy DE the Vikings have doesn’t get some more cheap shots on Mathew.

4. By Omar Sostre on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

I couldn’t imagine how huge that that was to finally get that running game going and forcing a defense to load the box. I am looking forward to Mikel going off against the Viks and getting those safeties to start creeping up. It’s time to claim the North and hope you get back to 100% soon.

5. By Anthony Miller on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Nice gm CJ!!! I just wanna let u know that what u guys have been doing on offense hasn’t gone unoticed. I like the fact that finally the OC has finally started to get creative with the run game(more toss plays,off tackle plays etc…) Just keep pluggin, the use of Riely Reiff is starting to reap benifits. Teams will start to take notice and come out of that DEEP COVER 2 look and then u and ole’ Matty boy can git off a lil’ more in the 2nd half of the season. Tell your OC good job on the adjustments like LeBron “it’s about damn time” we only play 16!!!!! Let,s git er’ done and make a playoff push!!! Good luck the rest of the way!!! GO LIONS!!!!

6. By Sop Noch on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Keep on ballin! They can’t stop you at the 1 everytime! Get hyped! Get hungry! The pride of lions are finally hunting like a unit. We are the predators stalking our prey. Time to pounce! It’s time to eat!

7. By Bob on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

You have really redeemed your credibility. Good job! What is going on the locker room there? Are some of the guys deliberately trying to get rid of Linehan. His play calling is at a minimum questionable. You should call the plays :D