Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on November 14, 2012 – 4:49 pm

“I can’t exactly sense what the fans feel. From being around them, they’re always great. I can definitely understand they would expect more – they would have expected more out of us at this point of the season. We think the same thing. We expect more out of ourselves, too.

“We’ve just got to learn how to finish games off. We need to eliminate penalties, and other things here and there that eventually come together to leading us to losing a game like we did last week. We need to nip those things in the bud before we get to the next game.

“As a captain, I’ve definitely been talking to guys a little bit more – more than usual, actually. Because I haven’t been able to practice, I’m around the whole practice field just catching vibes from everybody throughout the week. It’s been good to be able to just communicate with those guys and see where their minds are at. I learn something from them or they learn something from me. Just keeping the lines of communication open is the big thing.

“In my room, that’s maybe where I’m most vocal – especially with my guys as far as trying to get their minds right. Shawn can do so much, but coming from somebody that they’re playing with day-by-day, it means a lot to them and they told me this, too.

“The more and more I can talk to those guys, they lean on me when they don’t know something and I give them some of my experience so they don’t make the mistakes that I made probably in the past.  They’ve been real responsive.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Johnson: “I can’t exactly sense what the fans feel … I can definitely understand they would expect more””

1. By Tyler Williams on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

MEGATRON!!!! KEep it up! Just lets practice the low catches! Lets also try to beat the Vikings!!!!

2. By Jthurk01 on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Everyone needs to get Fired up, get mad, get angry, what ever it takes to get the job done.. You need to scare the crap out of the other offense and know.. that you are commin…and when you get there.. its gonna hurt. Make them feel our presence, we have a huge impact on teams emotionally, if you can get at there emotions.. then we will win the penalty battle. Then our offense can do what it does best, EXPLOIT and destroy their defense.

3. By dale henson on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

First of all you are like Berry Sanders. the best of the best. I enjoy watching the lions and we have great players. I just wanted to tell you that every play is being watch by a 67 year old man that gives it it all on every down So just remember i’am a fan and a payer.

4. By Patrick on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Mega,
    You guys have so much unrealized potential. The penalties hurt, but I think the biggest problem is that the team only starts playing with a sense of urgency when they are 10 or more points behind. You all need more of a “crush them now” mentality from the opening kickoff,.. and do not let up until the final gun. It’s only 60 minutes to give your all. This was an issue last year too. Start out angry and finish off an opponent before they ever get started. All the top teams have that attitude. Best of luck the rest of the way…and stay safe out there. This is not meant to be harsh…please consider it constructive criticism.
    Lions Baby!!!

5. By Sop Noch on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

It sounds like a broken record. It’s the same thing just about every week. Getting off to a fast start, playing all four quarters, playing consistent on all phases. We have seen glimpses of how the team can play when it is all clicking, but for some reason, we can’t seem to keep it up for an entire game. Even when we haven’t been playing our best, we are still in all these games. That gives me the confidence that we can beat any team out there and I hope our team still feels that way. It all comes down to making those 2 or 3 plays that can change the outcome of the game. If everyone commits to making that one play, it could be the difference between a W or a L. Good luck to the rest of the season!

6. By rockbo1955 on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

First of all that you do CJ! you our a very good player and a real leader and i am thankful for what you have done with titus and broyles ! I believe broyles will be another great receiver thanks to your help! I believe this a good team that realize a bit to late that this was going to be a cake walk and forgot you have to play the game! I am big fan and i do not pay for it! I am a disable vet and live Tampa Florida and I grew up in rochester michigan! I wont threaten you or our team! Thank you for all that you do and GO LIONS!

7. By Arjun on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Johnson – fret not. You are an entertainer, and you certainly live up to that billing. What you are able to accomplish on the football field is incredible, and Detroit fans are lucky to have you to cheer for.

8. By JP O'Flaherty on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

CJ, I think I feel like most fans (I’ve been a fan for over 50 years) that the team is under performing for the talent present. I think Lenihan is wrong by always starting the offense out in typical fashion, First Play….Run the ball, Second play…run the ball etc.. Instead of always starting out slow and finishing fast, why not come out slinging the ball deep right away? Mix it up! I haven’t seen a team yet that can cover you guys that good deep, he should start out with some deep balls right away, and then work on the run game. The Defense I have No idea. Not enough sacks, the ONLY way to beat at good QB is to put him on his ass. If that don’t happen in GB, Rogers will eat up our backfield.

9. By Ben on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

First off, I’m a big CJ fan, not only is he a great player and a great Lion, but a great leader within the organization. And honestly appears to have the talent to go down as one of the best ever. I’m a little puzzled though by the comment “we need to learn how to finish games off”…….it seems that finishing isn’t the issue, its starting. All season I watch as it appears that there is no offensive production through the first 3 quarters…..then at about 5 minutes into the 4th quarter, we see one of the greatest offenses on turf emerge. I don’t try to be a couch coach, or to belittle how tough of a division the lions are in. Figure out how to show up in the first half and not kill the momentum with silly penalties, and this team will be virtually unbeatable.

Go Lions, one of the most exciting teams in the league to watch!

10. By mickd on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

207 yards with a bum knee and a brachial neuropathy affecting your ability to squeeze your hand. You rock my friend.

What I feel we have for the most part, is an offense that does whatever it takes to score. Lack of focus or concentration by one or more players early in the game cost you points. By the forth quarter you guys are focused not as individuals but as a team.

I don’t see that with the defense. I know there has been a lot of injuries on their side of the ball which has taken away team cohesiveness. The defense has for the most part looked like a group of individuals not an orchestrated team. Coach Schwartz is in my humble opinion a smart guy, but for some reason he has not put Suh or Fairley in a position to extract all of their ability to perform throughout the entire game. I believe it is by design of their positioning on the field. Their is not much moving around by the d line or the linebackers. They for the most part are easier assignments for the opposing offensive line. At the level you guys play its getting in the heads of the offense that works, and I don/t see that.

11. By Scott K on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

C.J. It seems to me the team is not playing with heart or passion. There is no excitement till the play calling in the 4th qtr. Being a arm chair quarterback I call about 95 % of the plays weather it is going to be a run or a pass. That is why as a fan I don’t even bother turning on the game till the 4th qtr anymore. I have always been a loyal fan and always will be. I think I will just turn off the Lions football till you all get some heart and passion back and a better mix of play calling.

12. By Oldcat on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Opponent offenses have been getting the ball out of the QB’s hands as quickly as possible. It’s rare that the D-Line has time to penetrate and disrupt plays or get sacks. The only thing that will change that is for the Lions’ offense to get off to faster starts. By building an early lead it forces the opponent to open up and take more risks playing catchup. Only then will we see the Lions’ D-Line get the kind of production we want to see, and consequently take some pressure off the weakened secondary. Stupid penalties, lack of focus and execution, and just overal poor discipline is killing any hopes of the Lions being consistent winners, especially against the better teams that do grasp the importance of discipline and are successful because they don’t beat themselves. And it’s painfully obvious that trying to establish the run to open up the passing game isn’t working. The Lions are a passing team first and foremost. Its time again to establish the pass first to open up the running game. At least that’s the best chance for them to actually have a running game that consistently contributes. Pass… Play clean and smart… Make sure when they do face 3rd downs that they are for short yardage and easier to convert… Did I say Pass?… Until they can establish an actual running game, use the short pass game in place of run plays… The Lions are clearly one of the top passing teams in the league. There’s simply no excuse for the inability to move the ball and score consistently until late in the second half of all these games. Time to start getting Broyles more involved. He’s demonstrated the ability to separate himself and find the open spots. And he has excellent hands. Does anyone other than me think Broyles could be Stafford’s Wes Welker? A clutch, chain-moving specialist? Come on Lions. Get it together.

13. By Robert Frazer on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Calvin, hang in there and never give up. Never quit and always do your best. Don’t ever let negativity get to you. You’re an outstanding athlete and my boys worship your abilities to play the game of football. Thank you for what you do!

14. By UnknownWriter on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Last year, the Lions lacked confidence. This year…. er, wheels falling off? Why?

Offensively, not adjusting to defensive strategies are costing the Lions over 10 points a game. Not knowing how to adjust is the bigger problem.

Defensively, injuries are hurting a thin group of LB’s and DB’s. When watching the players on the field I see two things happening. Young talent trying to make plays blow coverages. Older players look like they are waiting for somebody else to make the big play. And just about everybody waiting for the play to come to them.

The Captains of this team need to take control. They need to talk up the players on the field and let the coaches know what’s working and what’s not both on game day and early in the week. Let the Coaches explain why certain strategies need to be used so that all the players will buy into it.

I, like most fans, think the Lions have the talent to make the playoffs this year even with the injuries the Lions have. I think the Lions have the best Head Coach in the League. So, where does that place the blame if the Lions fail? Maybe the Assistant Coaches need to start stepping up their games along with the OC and DC. If the Lion’s have the talent and the HC, then it must be the play calling that’s killing them.

The number one WR in the game with a QB that can pass the ball should be a nightmare for DC’s in the league. Our offense can’t be so fragile that all an opponent needs to do is drop their safeties into a deep zone to stop it.

Also, if a WR (or TE) starts dropping balls, they need to see their playing time reduced. And if they continue to drop balls, traded for a WR (or TE) who can catch the ball if it hits their hands.

15. By mitch on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

Calvin Johnson…You sir, are a class act!!! I only hope our younger players soak up all the wisdom and experience you can send their way…thanks for being you.

16. By derick cleveland on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

mental softness is alive and well in the Lions facility, it started with coaching and has wedge itself into the core of every side of the ball. when your offenssive coordinator gave excuses for weeks why he was not getting the job done he allowed his offense to say it was okay cause this person was not here or we could not do this cause the coach said so. I am sick of hearing we need to be leaders and speak up i understand what CJ is saying helping a younger player adjust but hey every person on Sundays get paid swell to put on their big cleats and come in and play the game like its the last one you will ever play and you refuse to let these other men that oppose you steal your teams Glory …thats why we have slow starts wrong mental approach tell them if they don’t win they do not eat i e get paid and see the blocks and tackles made . these lions know no matter what they gettin a check on Tuesday

17. By ghost on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

I don’t understand why we wait until the forth quarter to play our best football. That is one key element to success, that is figure that out.

Beyond that it is clear to me the management is planning for the future by building the Dline and Oline and receiver core. Then for the next few years we will build the secondary. It takes time to be a contender. But of course we fans believe we are entitled to immediate gratification. We have fast food and fast phones and fast everything else so we want immediate success of our football team. We just are not there yet but it will come but not right now and not next year.

18. By jerry harty on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

calvin been a fan since 68 been
    born and raised in a packer home,lets take um sunday andget back in this thing ,I will be with the family andwe need thuis one kick some packer butt

19. By doubled on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Calvin
    This will be your week. I’ll be in the house watching you get at least 2 TD’s my prediction you can do it. On a side note give Suh a pep talk I would luv to see him get a few sacs. He needs to let go he is so close and causes a lot of rushes just that extra little push we all know he can do it. I want to hear the fans chant calvincalvin when the offence is on the field and the long SUh chants when defence is on the field. Have a great day……………