Ndamukong Suh to be featured in upcoming ESPN The Magazine article

Posted by ttwentyman on November 26, 2012 – 4:49 pm

Ndamukong Suh will be featured in an upcoming ESPN The Magazine article. The Lions defensive tackle talked about his image and how he believes the Lions will win “multiple” Super Bowls.

“I’m a storyline,” Suh told the magazine. “I’m the chosen one for negative stories and controversial things. If I worried about it all, I would go insane. I just want to be a part of something that’s great. Then I won’t have to say anything, because that will always speak for itself.”

Here are some other excerpts:

I hated for that to happen to him (on Thanksgiving), and I’m sure he does now too. With time he’ll learn how to funnel his fire, but I hope he never loses that fire, because he has to have it to play that position. – Joe Greene, Hall of Fame defensive tackle for Pittsburgh Steelers

“I love that comment,” Suh told the magazine. “I definitely understand how to channel my aggression in a productive way. There are many reasons. One is I went through that situation last Thanksgiving. But also, any man, any child, grows up. You learn from your mistakes or you go backward. I’m the kind of person who wants to move forward. My fire is still there. And when I get a full opportunity to unleash my fire, it’s like the hit I put on Cutler.

“By no means am I trying to hurt him, but I am going 100 mph and trying to get him as quickly and as hard down to the ground as possible. That’s the way I show my dominance, and I am going to continue to do that. If that situation happens again with Cutler, I’m going to hit him the same way, if not harder.”

We are not currently dating. However, if the Lions win the Super Bowl and he wants to use the ring to propose to me, then we’ll see. — Lolo Jones, U.S. Olympian

“She’s a good friend, and we are not dating. We will not be getting engaged, because I won’t be giving that Super Bowl ring up. Maybe I’ll use the second one I get for that. I do see multiple Super Bowl rings in my future, especially with the team we have now. We’re a team where if we don’t make mistakes, we are insanely dangerous.”

Suh could be the nicest guy in the world for the rest of his career and he’ll always be the “dirtiest.” Might as well embrace it. – AnthGab, Sportsnation poll

“Embrace the role? I don’t know. People want to say, ‘We did a poll with 100 players out of 1,800 in the league who say you’re dirty.’ Do I really care? No. Now, if you got 1,800 out of 1,800 who said I’m dirty, would I care then? Nope. If you find my aggressive and dominating play dirty, then that’s your opinion. But I would assume most people want someone who is going to do anything and everything within the lines to win for their team, because I know I would.”

I have listened to the media hype about Suh since he got in the league … I have never thought he was a very good pro player. Suh belongs on the all-hype team. – Anonymous GM to Pro Football Weekly

“I’m not going to value your opinion if you don’t have the balls to say who you are, what team you work for and who you represent. That doesn’t seem like someone who has a job as a GM. That sounds like someone who used to have a job as a GM.”

Suh has not been the same player since the Stomp. – Caller on 97.1 The Ticket in Detroit

“I’m not the same player — I’m a better player. I have a greater awareness now of how people look at you. Since that incident on Thanksgiving, there are a million cameras on me, so I have to understand that everything I do is being watched. I will always have to deal with that. But you can’t worry about it. My job is to defeat the guy in front of me, do it until he quits and then wait for them to send in the next guy.”

With all these traffic problems, he seems to be better at NASCARing all around America’s streets and highways than he is at playing ball. – Lions#20 on mlive

“That’s funny, but what am I supposed to say back to this person? I drove across almost the entire continent this summer with no issues. It’s always going to be, I’m an African-American guy who’s rich with a nice car and I sideswiped somebody who has a Ford Escort, or whatever it might be, and I’m going to be the bad guy.”

Suh just wants to dominate his opponent, and that’s just how it has to be on the football field. He puts pressure on everybody else to get on his level. – Panthers quarterback Cam Newton

“Cam’s words embody what I think a dominant defensive lineman should be: someone who affects the game on every single play for 16 games straight, a force who constantly gives offenses headaches and puts them under pressure. If I can do that in the middle, you can’t game-plan against it, whereas with a defensive end, you can shy away from that side of the field or bring in extra help.

“I also want the guys around me to do well and put up big numbers, because that’s a reflection on me. People forget that. If the guy next to you is playing well — I think Cliff Avril had 11 sacks last year — I feel like I helped. Even though it was a down year for me, it gives me joy to see one of my teammates doing so well. It’s not always about stats in this league, but to the outside world that’s what you are always going to be graded on, especially if you’re one of the elite guys. Any other regular defensive tackle with four sacks and 30-some-odd tackles, like I had last year, they’re in the Pro Bowl.”

What Suh did on Thanksgiving made me feel worse about being a lifelong Lions fan than the 0-16 season did or anything Matt Millen ever did. – Talitha0118 on espn.com

“I can understand someone feeling that way. It was definitely an embarrassing moment for our fans, and it was for me and my family. It’s something that will always be a part of the Lions, because I’m a part of the Lions. It’s something I will have to live with my entire life. But it was something you just have to grow from. I have grown tremendously from it. And it will never happen again.”

26 Responses to “Ndamukong Suh to be featured in upcoming ESPN The Magazine article”

1. By Michelle on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

Im excited for this article! I am a huge fan of Suh and have been for a long time seeing that I am originally from Nebraska! He’s an amazing person and player! Are we ever going to get over the hit on Cutler? Who gives a s*** it’s old news! Ley it be- just like the Beatles song says! He can save that second super bowl ring for me :)

2. By Michelle on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

* Let it be that is not (ley) lol

3. By John on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

Really, Suh is the kind of guy you hate, if he is on the other team. The truth is he plays pro foot ball, the way the game used to be played. Not the flag football that they want him to play. So for those of you that think he is a dirty football player. Ask Dick Butkis or Alex Karras, I bet they would be strongly supportive of him. They played real football, not the product of the commish, that has become two hand touch.

And for Suh if you read this, don’t stop, you have become my all time favorite player, that is saying something since I remember Bobby Lane, Leon Heart, Joe Smitt. Etc. the stomp was bad, but I watched you get held all game. I understand the frustration, professional or not, we all have emotions.

4. By jordan on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

suh i love you man fuck all the retards because that is exactly what they are they will see soon enough

5. By Jeremy on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

Suh is the man he gets bad reps cause he plays hard ball. I hope to see the Lions win multiple super bowls.

6. By mike on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

kick was no way intentional. sick of people saying suh should get suspended and fined. he is right. lions do have a fantastic team. its just the mistakes. they can work on that though. they have been. they played the best i’ve seen them play all year on thanksgiving…. against the Texans! Do you guys even see what it took for the now 10-1 team to beat our 4-7 disappointing lions???? a BOGUS call…..OVERTIME….. the ONLY time they were EVER ahead of us was when they passed us in overtime… we do have a great team. sure they made a few really crucial mistakes.. but other than that, they played amazing. thats why they lead the game the entire regulation time. I still believe the lions can make it to the playoffs!

7. By Larry on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

Detriot Lions a great team and should/could take a superbowkl or two. Suh is a negative, distracts from the rest of the classy players. Like TO… dump him, shed the jinx, and move on to Super Bowl.

8. By Jarhead1951 on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

Very nice verbiage there jordan, we wait with baited breath for the next folly of eloquence delivered by your extremely brilliant typing skills…..meanwhile, back on Earth, the common man speaks with accurate and humbling resonance. I also must point out the undistinguished use of the term, retard, which has been condemned by the throngs of simple, yet mind-exercising words of knowledge. Is it to be construed from your comment that you are a Lions fan? Guess what, we don’t really want your type as a fan……GO AWAY.

9. By kevin on Nov 26, 2012 | Reply

I love the lions with passion and I hope you really do too mr suh. I have an idea. How about if you really love us fans do us a huge favor and restucture your contract to say 10 years and 4 million per year. That way we can truly build a contender for years to come. With your contract as it is with strafford’s and megatrons we cant afford to sign anyone. make yourself a LION for life like megatron is. your true Lions fans believe in you and want you here but your contract under the old cba is going to kill us. GO LIONS BABY! sometimes ya gotta take two steps back before you can take one step forward. Yall have learned alot this year and so the playoff’s may be over this year but we will make it rain next year!!!

10. By Anthony Miller on Nov 27, 2012 | Reply

What’s odd 2 me is that punk ass (woman beater) Brandon Marshall had nothing 2 say when that guy hit Cutler and knocked him out of the game with a concussion!!!! When Suh hit Cutler he was all over twitter!!! It just goes to show how people are fickle and just follow along with “trends”!!!! Roddy White did the same thing last year and now here comes Matt Schuab with the same crybaby BS. Keep attacking Suh keep playing your game this is football not hopscotch!!!! Players like Scuab, White and Marshall are punks and should go play flag football or tennis or something!!! Suh don’t change stay aggressive and wreak havoc on opposing offenses!!!! Good luck the rest of the way!!!! We’re not dead yet!! GO LIONS!!!

11. By evilklown1964 on Nov 27, 2012 | Reply

We have neede a dominant DT in Detroit for a long time.
    We need a dominant D Line.
    This is the Black and Blue Division for a reason.
    Just remember that no one liked playing against Alex Karras either.
    In my personal opion we’ve neede a D line to call the Fearsome Foursome and i think that this D Line can live up to that.

12. By evilklown1964 on Nov 27, 2012 | Reply

We’ve needed a dominant defensive line here in Detoit for a long time.
    There is a reason why they call this the Black and Blue Division.
    This team has neede a defensive line to call the Ferasome Foursome and think you guys can live up to that standard.
    Just remember this, no one liked playing against Alex Karras either.
    He went through the same thing you are going through.
    Keep the faith and keep playing hard.
    GO LIONS!!!!

13. By Hogfish on Nov 27, 2012 | Reply

I have always supported Suh. He defends himself from bodily harm, in the NFL this is a must. You try to hurt Suh the wrath will come out. Protecting oneself is common nature, an instinct. As a rookie he made veteran Offensive Lineman look very bad. Those players started the slang. The networks to become colorful so called sports writers picked up and used the term dirty. False statements to get a rise out of people and to hopefully get attention to their weak careers. To Schuab, the Lions don’t cheat. The Lions don’t flop to draw a flag, then cry on network TV. Typical Texan. Suh hit the NFL running and did not look back. The Lions are coming back. All these comments and attacks against our team, our city, our players will come back tenfold. To all the nay sayers get a life. Attacking Suh is getting old and it is time for those nay sayers to move on to a career endorsing baby products.

14. By Pam on Nov 27, 2012 | Reply

To Hogfish: If Suh was on an opposing team and Stafford took a nut joust like Schaub, Everyone would hear about it! And I guarantee you if that happened to Brady,Rogers or Big Ben, the NFL Fine Judge would have already delivered the bad news to Suh and the rest of the world.Open your eyes to what is going on in your own backyard and you would agree that Suh has issues and this tough front he puts out there is a cover for the LACK of man he should be!!!! The Texans and Schaub don’t Flop or Cry on network TV or call the Lions cheaters! Suh is the CANCER of Your team and this is how he lashes out to try and get ahead and he got caught AGAIN just like last Thanksgiving!!! Outside of it being football, I would say it would be viewed as an Assault! Just sayin’

15. By Pam on Nov 27, 2012 | Reply

One more thing….Everyone who thinks Suh is an innocent victim needs to watch the replay of Thanksgiving Day vs Texans. From the knee down, there is an obvious thrust to Schaub’s groin area! If you are still defending Suh, I challenge you and your nuts (groin for females) to let Suh deliver the same to you! Cough cough!!!

16. By John on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Pam, how old are you, about twelve? Football is a rough sport and its partisipants are meant to be the gladiators of our era. I suppose you never caught one in the nuts when you played foot ball? It happens. Suh’s face was in the turf, if it was on purpose he delivered a blind kick. Not at all possible. Suh is an outstanding player I would want on my team anytime as would most NFL teams if given the opportunity. I personally hope he is with the Lions for a long, long time.

17. By Larry on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

I love the Lions and am hoping for a big turnaround. Suh knew exactly what he was doing kicking Shaub in groin, he is an OK DT… look around league, lots of better ones and Suh #’s having been dropping (tackles, sacks, etc.) each year. (Look it up!) His dirty style of play will only jinx/hurt the Lions. I would cut his ass.

18. By Pam on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

John, you are a real idiot if you think I actually have nuts and I’m probably old enough to be your mother. I’ve been involved with football since I was probably 8 years old. I am an ultimate fan of many players through out the NFL and Suh is not one of them!!! I even have Mikel LeShoure on my fantasy league! But I do know bad conduct when I see it. No, it was not a life altering kick, but it sure was a dirty kick. Not a normal reflex or a blind kick because he was facing Schaub sizing up(premeditated) the kick on Schaub before rolling to the turf. It was a no flagged play that should have cost Detroit up to 15 yards. Suh has no one to blame but himself for the “dirty player” label. He will be caught again and I hope the fine is the Exit Door from the NFL! Maybe he should try The UFC where he would fit in better. He has no remorse for his actions and NO Class! The Lions should lose this Cancer. Read some of the articles from this site…Suh is quoted,”I mean, if I wanted to hurt you, I’d go for your Quarterback.” If that doesn’t say it all, I don’t know what does!!!

19. By John on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

What it tells me pam is you don’t like tackle football and you probabaly ought to start your own league. A flag foot ball league. No you don’t know foot ball. If your old enough to be my mother you would be 90 and dead and I remember Bobby Lane, Leon Heart, and Yale Larry, Joe Schmit. Alax Karras, and others that you just read about but never seen. You don’t know real foot ball, and I still suspect you to be twelve. Suh plays foot ball like it should be played. His face was in the dirt, he was blocked down to where he was and you are the idiot and those are all facts.

20. By Pam on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

Well John, wrong again!!! I thought you were a stupid young punk but I was wrong!!! You are a dumb OLD F—-! You are blindsided by your hope to make PLAYOFFS !!! Sorry about your luck old one! Most of the viewers and alot of your hometown fans know Suh was wrong for what he did so why can’t you? The fine says enough but was not enough. Get over it and move on! Get your crying towel out because you’re going to need it AGAIN this year!

21. By Larry on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

Go Pat… Suh is a jinx and if you look at his stats – he is going downhill. He is making up for his deterioating performance with dirty play and a big mouth. Doubt he’d last on the perrenial powers lke Patriots, Giants, Green Bay, 49ers… they’d dump is underperforming distracting ass. Whose company do the Lions want to be in… ? Choice is theirs.

22. By John on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

Look stupid, I was a Lions fan when they were 0-16 and I will be a fan no matter what. I am not a plastic two bit bitch like you that has to make stuff up to make them fell like they got a cock. Suh is a great player, and the Lions are a team to reconize now because of him and a few others. So screw you without the kiss. Thank you for playing,

23. By Larry on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Suh jinx strikes again… shit. Need miracle now for playoffs.

24. By Pam on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

John John John!!! What can I say??? Uh…you are a sore loser who loves to live off of history…good or bad and I find you boring! I really feel bad for the rest of the Lion’s team and if Suh would take a hike with you to the middle of nowhere, I think this “team” could be Great! I hope Larry’s comments as well as mine and many others’ reaches Lions Corporate. Hey Guys…there are great prospects every year to choose from that have little or No baggage during draft time! GO and Get You Some!!! Suh = Cancer

25. By Pam on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

By the way, Larry, I appreciate the backup with old John! Some people are just in denial. Good luck to you and your Lions from here out. I missed the game on Sunday, so what happened with Suh this time?

26. By sm980268 on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Look, people pay to watch the game, it hasnt changed from the beginning, and its no different now! Gees ,the Romans watched people they conqured kill each other for romes entertainment. Suh, did joe green hesitate and not do what he does best, Lawrence Taylor – common man. Detroits got your back. Just try not to Kill the QB! Unless its JAY CUTLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!