Johnson: “That would be huge breaking Jerry Rice’s record. That’s a landmark.”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on November 28, 2012 – 5:44 pm

“Our last game was physically and emotionally draining in all kinds of ways. We were out there through the whole quarter of overtime, that’s the physical aspect of it, and then the ups and downs during the game. Then it being Thanksgiving – it was taxing.

“This season has been tough, but we put ourselves in the situation. So the only thing we can do is keep working and finish the season strong. We need to bring those things together that we’ve been struggling on, whether it be missed assignments or whatever else it might be that’s holding us back. Eliminate those things during these last five games and get ourselves going in the right direction.

“That would be huge breaking Jerry Rice’s record. That’s a landmark. That’s crazy. You never know when you’re going to be in this position again so you have to best take advantage of it.

“Breaking it is possible, definitely possible. You just have to get over that 100 mark every game, which is not hard. I’m definitely thinking about it, but I just have to keep on working, keep it in the back of my mind, but still focus on the task at hand.

“When I first really got into football, Steve Young, Jerry – they were the duo that everybody wanted to be like. Everybody wanted to have that kind of chemistry as far as a wide receiver and a quarterback goes. That kind of chemistry on the field, that’s what everybody wants. That’s what everybody strives for to put up those kind of numbers.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “Johnson: “That would be huge breaking Jerry Rice’s record. That’s a landmark.””

1. By Sam-Sam the Lions Fan on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Stay positive and go get it.

2. By cody lasher on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

u got this megatron u do that and i got u on my espn fantasy team get em

3. By Ray on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Megatron is the next best receiver since Jerry, but he still has a long way to be that good. Fortunately, he seems to have the right attitude. Keep trying everyday and pushing yourself CJ.

4. By Jackie on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Good luck! We’re rooting for you!

5. By Sean K on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Calvin, I have no doubt in my mind you will break the record. You are the best player in the NFL right now. There is no one player that can stop you in todays game. Go get it, you deserve it!

6. By RANDY on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

I agree! WR Jerry Rice and QB Steve Young were a Terrific Dou, on the Field. In My Lifetime, I never thought I would ever see another Pair Like that.
    Now, Not Just Lions’ Fans’ But America,(especially the Children), Have another Dynamtic Dou, that they Love and that’s WR Calvin Johnson and Best QB in the NFL, Mathew Stafford! Lately, its’ all coming together for the Lions! It seems like EVERY player is Stepping Up. I believe the Detroit Lions will Win All their remaing games! And, if A few things happen in the NFC North. Not only will the Lions Finnish Strong 9W7L. The Lions could also Earn the Last Wild Card Slot to get back to the Playoffs! The Lions aew RED Hot Right Now!
    I’m so happy that Nick Jr. is Putting on a Show, Friday Night, About the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowbys–Thanksgiving special. That will make the Children of America Very Happy! May God Bless everyone!

7. By Todd Hatter on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

I have been a fan for 50 years. and now I am officially done. But in leaving I have to tell you that I really appreciate that you have given so much to us. I will always be a fan of you and Mathew Stafford. I really enjoyed watching you too put your heart and soul into every game. I am sorry but i cannot watch another coach lose games for detroit.Linnehan was great in his days long ago and so was Cunningham, but they have been around so long that everybody know there next move. And Schwartz, Please!! He was a great assistant coach, but not a true leader. But they are all cheap and after the last 15 years of cheap coaches, there is no use watching a team that you no is going to lose, due to bad decisions. Its to heart wrenching to watch year after year. I’m getting to old and I am to attached to what happens to my team. I just wanted to say thank you for being a lion. I will let you know what team I will rute for next and hopefully you can be traded to them so I can be your number one fan again.