Posted by Tara Altman on November 29, 2012 – 3:05 pm

“Getting my first start, on Thanksgiving, that really meant a lot. My parents came out. My wife’s parents came out as well and her brother, so it was a good opportunity to go out there and have them be able to watch me and have a game like that. It was a great situation to be in. Growing up watching Thanksgiving games, Detroit having played every  year, it was pretty cool to be out there doing that.

“Running out of the tunnel I couldn’t even see the ground, so I was high stepping a little bit. The smoke was going…it was pretty cool, the entrance and everything. Hopefully I get a couple more of those.

“I think I played pretty well getting my first start and then going out there and making some plays when I could. I feel like I did a good job with that. The coaches are believing in me, Matt’s believing in me. so that definitely builds my confidence; but at the same time I feel like a lot of players left plays out there and I was included in that.

“I feel like we’ve had a couple of games like the Thanksgiving game this year. It’s just one of those things where you hope that you can get a W. All the plays that we had – and we had a lot of plays – a lot of opportunities to make plays, and we did for the most part, but the times that we needed them, we didn’t capitalize on them. I felt like the defense and the offense both played well. It was a tight game the entire time and we just couldn’t come away with another couple of plays.

“For us to be able to fight and battle back in a game like that, and then the week before with Green Bay, it just shows that we have great athletes on this team and we have guys that are poised to make plays. We’ve been in a lot of close games and just let them go, so we have to come out this week and continue to strive for the best we can be.”

Posted in Ryan Broyles Blog | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Broyles: “I feel like a lot of players left plays out there and I was included in that””

1. By Winston Churchill on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Put God first man!

2. By joerobertson3045 on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Broyles is going to be a star in the league. Detroit is lucky to have gotten him.

3. By joerobertson3045 on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Broyles is going to be a star in the league. Detroit is lucky to have gotten him where we did.

4. By ghost on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

While I don’t believe players and coaches read our remarks I will say that this player has a lot of starts and Ws in his future. I know his senior year injury was a bummer but it was a blessing for detroit so that other teams were concerned enough to let us have him. Things will come together in a couple more years for us.

5. By rockbo1955 on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

I was so happy when we drafted Broyles and to see him come on the field a year early from his injury and to perform like he has speaks volumes of what kind of person and player he is no off field issue and no on field issue he works hard and if CJ likes him then so do I ! this guy got the right stuff to be another great receiver in the lions history of good receiver ! GO LIONS!

6. By jay pearce on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Hey man ya did great. Make the most of your shot and play like there are 3 guys dying to have your spot on the field! Oh and thanks for signing my daughters purse. esShe was VERY excited that stopped for her.

7. By John C on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

You looked great in your starting debut! Can’t wait to see you break a long one!

8. By Sop Noch on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

It’s funny how baffled and frustrated most Lions fans were when we drafted Broyles. There was a dire need of a defensive back and we selected ANOTHER WR in the second round! Going back a few drafts we picked up WR’s non-stop from Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Calvin Johnson in the first round! We missed on a few of them, but I’m glad Calvin Johnson turned out to the be the player he is and that he is part of the Detroit Lions. I also feel the same way about Broyles. He has the right mind set, attitude, and work ethic! Detroit is home to the Lions, Tigers, Redwings, and Pistons. We’ve had our ups and downs, but we are a tough and resilient city. Keep your head up, because even if this season didn’t turn out how we expected it, we have shown flashes of how it can be. Only a few more pieces and a few more plays and we are going to be consistent contenders! Good Luck and Happy Holidays to everyone.

9. By Hogfish on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

I will admit, I disagreed and had my reservations on selecting Broyles in the draft. Watching his recovery has been pleasing, giving some relief to the draft pick. Broyles as any new receiver needs to improve. Timing, separation, keeping your eye on the QB are big. I watch when a play developes, what receivers are looking for the ball, making themselves a visible target. Many times they don’t. Every play all receivers need to be ready; Catch, and protect the ball. #1, #2, # 3, check down, this all happens very quickly. When people are not looking is frustrating for QB’s, coaches, and fans.

10. By Brandon on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

Good game last week and you are definitely the #2 guy now. Kick some Colt a*# Sunday!

11. By Ryan McIntyre on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

I actually proposed to my fiancée at the Thanksgiving game too. Its nice to know it was Broyles’ first start too. I have the highest regard and hopes for him to become what T. Young failed to grasp. Love what you represent man, keep working hard.