Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on December 5, 2012 – 4:32 pm

“Last week was definitely one of those physically, mentally taxing games. You think you have the game there three minutes to go, you’re up double digits and they come back and win. It’s mind blowing. It’s frustrating.

“There’s plays before that last drive where we ran the ball three times that we could have made to ice the game. There were interceptions we could have had that could have iced the game. There’s so many things that could have been done. We just have to find a way to make one of those things happen and we’ll get the result that we want. It’s just a matter of somebody taking the initiative to make the play.

“Getting through the rest of the season by a sense of pride, eye in the sky really. Everything you’re doing you’re putting on film and everybody’s going to see it.

“The whole thing about the record is tough. You can’t help but to think about it when everybody around you is talking about it. That’s the main thing. It’s something that’s reachable, tangible. Do I want it? Yeah, that would be fantastic. I’m going to play my butt off for it, just try to take advantage of the opportunities given.

“The fact that it wouldn’t be in a winning season is tough, but the big thing … it’s not changing the way people are playing me or anything like that. So it will still be very significant if it does happen.

“Getting the franchise record along the way would be big. Herman Moore was the big receiver back in the day. It was a really big thing for teams to have big receivers. To take over a franchise record, that means a lot. Any kind of record you get in this league, it means a lot. They’re hard to come by.

“Looking ahead to Sunday, winning at Lambeau would be huge. Mainly for the reason I haven’t won there in my career. Especially when you love to play there, place with history and stuff behind it like that. That makes it that much more special.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Johnson: “You’re up double digits and they come back and win. It’s mind blowing. It’s frustrating.””

1. By Lee on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m so disappointed with the Lions origination, your players & staff should have your pay cut 80% to match your talent.

2. By Bob Persky on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

You are a total class act. You play hard, keep a positive attitude, and represent the organization and the fans in a professional and respectful way. As disappointing as this season is, the one thing I admire about this team is they don’t quit. They compete every week. I’m a die hard fan and I know we are not far away from turning the corner. You are a special guy. Thanks for being who you are!

3. By Skip Berry on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

#1) Calvin, a giant THANK YOU for being you and for giving Lions fans something special to watch every Sunday. We are the luckiest fan base in the NFL just to have you on our team

#2) Lee: Get a clue. Yes this season is a disappointment and I will give you that “pay cut” comment for some of the players and most of the staff…but not CJ Go post that on Schwartz’s twitter or Pettigrew’s twitter…but not at Calvin Johnson. Like I said…get a clue

4. By Ed on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I personally apologize for the above post. Calvin, you do not deserve that kind of response. You are a stand up guy and I believe having you as a Lion as well as Matthew will go down in the books as the greatest Quarterback/ Receiver combo in Lions History. Keep up the great work. I’m sure it will pay off.

5. By Joni on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

The organization is not the issue. From the beginning of the season, they team has been off kilter. It started when Titus Young smacked that player in training camp. The team has played great. They’ve just had crappy luck. I hate to say it, but there’s always next year! :)

6. By Blue on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Big Play CJ is, if I may borrow the words of the incomparable Ray Lewis, “a machine, jerk”. As a 2nd year season ticket holder, I count myself fortunate to be able to witness greatness 8 times a year.
    As for this disappointment of a year, look no further than the Tampa Bay Bucs organization. They had a “breakout” year, then struggled the next year, missing the playoffs. John Lynch said before the season that this team reminded him of the young Bucs, and that they’d likely struggle with the success this year and miss the playoffs, and then be a legitimate Super Bowl contender the following year. Considering our close losses, it’s a fair bet that the returning players are going to have a bad taste in their mouth, and come back with the same work ethic that Megatron displays week in a week out.
    That, my friends, is a recipe for playoff games being held at Ford Field. And I’ll endure the 4-5 hour drives from Toronto all next year for the privilege of witnessing it happen live.
    We’ve got the core in place — we just need Suh to accept a reasonable contract, because we can’t have Stafford, CJ and Suh taking up 40% of our cap space and still build a winner.

7. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Calvin, you are an amazing player. Like said earlier by other people, your team never quits and you never quit. Go beat that record. Thats something the Lions will be known for. That and they never give up. lol. Good luck at your next few games.

8. By Jay B on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Calvin you are the man….your greatness matches your class…..You and Stafford will go down as one of the best WR QB combos ever….All of us Lions fans are greatly appreciative of what we have in you two players….Beat the record sir…And go win in Lambeau, make a statement my friend!!

9. By Jay B on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Your greatness matches your class…Us as fans are lucky to have you on the team and you will go down as one of the best WR ever!!

10. By Matt on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Calvin you are a class act and role model professional athlete. It’s guys like you that make new fans and keep current fans. I hope you break every receiving record (props to Mr Sanders). Thanks for being you and playing the game right.

11. By Sagmich on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Bob, That is one of the problems if the other team has the ball at the end of the game our defense does give up. On the other hand Calvin is a class act wish all the Lions had his drive and personality.

12. By redwingliger on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Mind blowing nah, pretty typical for the Lions. I’ve seen them do that more often than not for the last three decades. We have always had the absolute lousiest, pitiful, gutless, conglomeration of supporting casts characters mixed in with some outstanding superstars forever. Our offensive line doesn’t run block because they’re afraid they’ll get hurt, so until they’re gone will never run the ball. And as usual the blame for yet another depressing season is not being directed at the person that it should be, (Matthew Stafford) because there’s no accountability here for those who favor one player over another in this franchise. He could be the best player in all of the NFL, but if you got in the face of one of the lousiest players in all of the NFL, not was also one of the favorites in this organization, then I don’t care how good you are your ticket out of town is already stamped. I could care less if the Lions remain in Detroit, or if they get sold and moved to LA, because they’re nothing but an embarrassment for the city, and state of Michigan. Calvin if you had any brains you demand to be traded, because you’re not going anywhere in this organization, especially the Super Bowl (unless you’re a spectator). Anyone who can remember Scott Mitchell, (the one-year wonder) need looked no further into the crystal ball to see that. We have good players that play good for us for one year, getting huge payday, (in the form of a contract) to play like crap until they leave. They go to other organizations that don’t let them play at half speed full-time and they become much better if not outstanding players for the other teams.

13. By Hogfish on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see a Detroit Lion approaching another milestone. Calvin Johnson is the best receiver to ever play the game. Watch him play is total excitement.
    Laughter, smirks; without the contributions of the other receivers Calvin would not have his numbers.

14. By muskiebobsr on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Tedwing get lost.

15. By JP O'Flaherty on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

CJ, This goes back to the good ole days with Barry, and how we all would sit in the stands with “Barry Signs” yelling for his success. Now it is YOU and MATT we can root for. All of the losses that were close losses this year belong to coaching, and players playing stupid. You are right there were dropped interceptions, there were stupid penalties, and not going for additional points, but instead trying to use up time were poor decisions. This year the coaching staff has to be held responsible for poor decisions. Also, why don’t we ever play rookies we draft? How the hell do we know if they are worth keeping or if they can contribute in the future? This team has way too much talent to keep losing this way, Good Luck with the record!

16. By Brad on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

The lions are consistently inconsistent, it is hard not to get excited when you see your team up double digits and then to see that lead dwindle and the defense seemingly absent when they are needed the most is the worst. I will not give up on the lions, they have great talent but lacking in the discipline area but a head coach needs to step up a bit more, I am excited to see Titus Young to finally be gone, it is difficult to win when players are giving the other team yards. Calvin Johnson is a different breed, and so is Suh regardless of the media and their whining opinion(Would you like a tissue for your issue?). Don’t quit guys go get em Sunday!!

17. By Bill OConnor on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I totally blame the coaching staff for the loss. when you have 3rd and 5 and only need a first down to end the game, you go for it. you don’t sit down on the ball and give the other team another chance.

18. By Bill on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Redwing, You are a joke!!! Sorry man, I am usually not condescending but your whole post was bush-league. This team is already great, just having a bad year. And you saying that other players go elsewhere and do great things, who? Who exactly are you talking about? When players leave, it is for a reason and I see them play, but never utter greatness in response to these players. You had a pretty long post that was, IMO, a complete joke.

19. By Rebelyankee on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

CJ you are a class act but if you want to win more late in close games when we have a chance to get first downs to win or score to put the score out of reach and you have been impossible for the other team to cover all day.

Get with Stafford and if they call a play that is to anyone else but you say Matt you are calling a play for me and you are throwing me the ball !!!
    You teammates will thank you and so will the fans :-)

20. By Aron on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Take heart CJ. It’s tough for us fans (as seen in the comments) – I can only imagine how tough it is for the guys in the locker room (yourself included). Focus on getting it right and making a run next year. Your team is one or two players away from being consistent playoff contenders. Coaches need to continue to do their part to, designing successful gameplans that take advantage of the talents the team has. I can see you guys bouncing back next year. Keep it up man!

21. By ghost on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Lots of encouraging posts to CJ. I don’t beleive players and coaches read our posts. But it makes us feel good to put in our two cents. I’ve said this before: When we examine successful teams we find the success comes from the top, the owners down. So when we have a 50 year drought I look at the owners first and managment on down. Ford is not going to sell the Lions but perhaps if fan’s send actual letters directly to Ford they might change their mangement style. They seem to be hands off the stearing wheel – let the ship stear itself. Well, we are on the rocks again. Is Mayhew accountable or does he have free reign? Somebody has to go and I think it is Mayhew and a bunch of coaches.