Lions have their work cut out in the second half

Posted by ttwentyman on December 16, 2012 – 7:00 pm

This addition of half-time adjustments is pretty easy. The Lions gave the Cardinals three second-quarter touchdowns on a muffed punt and two interceptions. The first two turnovers set the Cardinals up inside the Lions’ 10-yard line and led to two Beanie Wells touchdown runs. The second interception was returned 53 yards for a score by Rashad Johnson with just 30 seconds left in the half to give them a 21-7 lead.

The Cardinals have scored three touchdowns with just eight yards of offense on the scoring drives. They have a total of 111 yards in the first half.

The Lions trail 21-7 because of two costly turnovers and their inability to move the ball effectively on an underrated Cardinals defense.

It might be an understatement to say the Lions have some work to do in the second half.

Here are three places to start:

HANG ONTO FOOTBALL

Why don’t we just go ahead and state the obvious first and get it out of the way. The Cardinals are a bad offensive team and the 7-0 lead the Lions had early in the second quarter might have been enough to win if not for the turnovers.

Simple fundamentals. Throw and catch.

PROTECT STAFFORD

The Cardinals’ pass defense has held opposing quarterbacks to a passer rating of 71.9 this season, the second-best mark in the NFL behind Chicago (67.9). Part of the reason is because they are very good at getting to the quarterback, and though they don’t have any sacks today, they’ve beaten up Stafford, who’s taken some of the biggest shots I’ve seen him take all year.

The Lions have to be better than that. Stafford is feeling the pressure and it’s affecting his play. He’s 9-of-22 passing for 85 yards with two interceptions. That’s good for a 14.4 rating.

LIMIT THE PENALTIES

The Lions aren’t handling the pre-snap movement by the Cardinals defense. The Lions have already been hit with three false starts penalties. Right tackle Gosder Cherilus has two of them and a holding call. The Lions have been penalized five times for 35 yards in all.

Lions stop hurting themselves and they’ll be okay.

14 Responses to “Lions have their work cut out in the second half”

1. By leechlakesteve on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

With the talent on this Lions team they should be competing for the Division title, not stuck in the cellar. How long before Schwartz is gone?

2. By leechlakesteve on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

How long before Schwartz is gone? This team is too talented to be stuck in the cellar.

3. By potts316 on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

I think you mean edition, not addition.

4. By john heckel on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

someone needs to lose there job! being a lions fan for this long i can tell you ive never felt this sick to my stomach. ive seen them go 0-16 with a very bad team. what is the reason for this? we have a very soild team with alot of depth WTF im sick

5. By jerry r johnroe on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

this organization should be embarrassed to be putting this team on the field.i have been a very loyal fan for over yrs and this team has go to be the worst.including the 0-16 team at least with that team they tried a little harder.this game has shown me that im done watching this team till next season.and i will also stop buying your crap merchandise also.

6. By confused on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

9-16 since the 5-0 start since last year.. I would say they are trending in exactly the direction they should be with the amount of talent the team has. At least they improving their draft pick in, what looks to be, a subpar draft class… oh wait.

7. By Sagmich on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

I would rather see the Lions not have a better draft pick than the idiotic game I watched today. They literally stink!! To get blown away by a team who has played worse than the Lions is just disgusting.

8. By Tom McCraner on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Maybe Stafford needs pictures of his team mates on his wrist.

9. By Anthony Miller on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Anyone notice that game is also the handshake game??? So since Jim Schwartz made an absolute fool of himself after we too k it on the chin, this team has fallen apart!!!! He lost his cool and the team has lost theirs!!! Needs at least new Coordinators!!! Also how can we just come out and say draft best player avaliable that’s just stupid!!! You have to pick the best player avaliable for your team!! I just hope and pray that we can win a superbowl with this young core and a few added pieces!! The people in charge can do the job, but they have to quit acting like they won a superbowl!!! I like the turn around, but dont be the arrogant jerk you’ve been and were constantly gettin our asses kicked!! Coach keeps sayin that if we make one more play or two we will win!! Why not say if we play solid 4 qtrs of football we will win!!! Why is the coach even thinking about barely makin a play to win the game?? He’s been coaching us not to lose instead of coaching us to win!!! Look in the mirror coach and realize it starts with you coach!!

10. By ghost on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

I have been a fan since the days of Bobby Layne. But I’ve had it. Stick a fork in me, I’m done. Since I’ve moved to Texas anyway I will ease over to the Texans. Things won’t change for Detroit until they get new managment.

11. By RonC on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

New, all the way, top to bottom including the owners Hint: last time the Lions ever became champions was not with the present owner.

12. By Dave "Waz" on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

The “ghost” and I go way back.I also remember the bombs that Layne threw to Tom “the Bomb” Tracey. Remember Dick “Night Train” Lane. He knew how to play cornerback. I metioned this in some previous blogs. I’m not ready for that fork yet though, even after last Sundays debacle in AZ. The Ford kids are running things now and they WANT to win. Good News – Bad News! Bad news, we had a bad season. Explanation: tons of key injuries, lack of depth at those positions, dropped passes and key fumbles at the wrong time, bad decisions by coaches on play calling, personnel and costly emotional reactions (challenge flag-Texans). Good news: we get a high draft pick (hopefully Manti Teo) to fill one a a few voids on “D”, fill the others with additional picks, trades or Free Agents. And. maybe we hire a mature coach with a history of winning (Gruden). In sports, if you could have all your mistakes made in one game (season) so you learn from them and NOT make them periodically from season to season costing you playoff appearences and championships, you’d take that deal. I think we just did! Collectively we made all the costly mistakes and decisions most make in a career in one season. If we’ve learned from this and go forward, our better days are ahead of us. Can’t get much worse! Can it?

13. By ghost on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

The “Waz” is right, it can’t get much worse. I don’t think we will win our last two games. But if this can be a wake up call for the Ford’s and the Players. Hopefully we won’t have many of the coaches and managment left for next year. But where will we get good coaches and managment? Who wants to come to detroit? After Detroit coaches and managment go into broadcasting or end up at Dennys blowing on their soup. Can Swartz learn how to coach? I don’t know. But if the “Waz” can stick it out another season I can too.

Yeah Bobby Layne was a team leader. He took the team out for dinner and drinks and when the coach said do five laps he lead the team for ten. He never looked at his contract, he just signed it. They played in mud and ice and snow and rain. I guess I live too much in the past.

14. By Dave "Waz" on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Getting good personel in the off-season is the key to attracting good coaches. Open up that pocketbook Mr. Ford. Get a cpouple good coverage guys, two more good linebackers, get a defensive end that’s worth $10,000,000, not “thinks” he’s worth it. Play calling (Offensive co-ordinator) is “on the fence”. We need to protect the lead more by holding onto the ball longer, adding to Mr. Millers comments … “play to win”. The “D” needs a new leader. How many blitz’s did we do Sunday? Maybe 3. I only remember 2. Any stunts … NONE!!! We are NOT doing what the great teams do to win. It’s that simple and that’s on the coaches. The “ghost” says he lives too much in the past … as do I. It’s easy to do. Those were our championship years and that’s all the glory we have to fall back on. That and the greatest running back of all time. I just hope the soon-to-be greatest receiver of all time retires with a handfull of LION Super Bowl rings.