Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on December 26, 2012 – 4:37 pm

“Getting this record hasn’t really sunk in yet, but at some point it will. People talk about it all the time, but we’re still in the season so the focus is on the next game. But after the season when everything calms down and I’m just chillin’ or layin’ back I’ll reflect on the season then and I’ll be like, ‘I put in a lot of work to get it.’

“Looking back on the game – my first thoughts are the ones I could have had and the fumble.

photo-5

“As far as touching moments – that picture of my dad when I was at the press conference meant a lot. That was big, that was sweet. I don’t even think he’s seen it yet because I left it in my car when he was at the house – I didn’t think to get it out.

“Experiencing all of that with my dad was real cool – maybe surreal for my dad more so. He was down there on the sideline for probably like two or three series before it happened and he was out there like a little kid with just a smile on his face as it was leading up to the moment. Just being able to watch him be so happy – that meant a lot to me.

“In the stadium I know they showed those messages from Jerry and Herm. I didn’t get to see Jerry’s – I think it was going on while we were maybe in the huddle or something – maybe during the timeout – I just wasn’t really paying attention to it. But I saw it later. That meant a lot. That was cool to have Jerry send that out to me.

Then from Herm – I talked to Herm earlier that week, so he was egging me on to go ahead and knock this thing out. I appreciate the support from both of them.

“I think getting to 2,000 would kind of put that record away for awhile. You never know what’s going to happen, but that’s real tough to reach. To get this far and make it to where we are right now, it’s crazy. I couldn’t imagine doing it again soon.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Calvin Johnson: “Experiencing all of that with my dad was real cool – maybe surreal for my dad””

1. By kiley on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

He is such a blessing to Detroit. I love watching him every week. He’s such a class act and bad ass on the field. It’s awesome that he got to share that moment with his proud father.

2. By JP O'Flaherty on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

CJ, Seeing you break Rice’s record was great, and seeing you break 2000 yards and Matt hitting 5000 yards again will make the season worthwhile for me. I have no doubts it is just a matter of time before all the pieces fit together and the wins start piling up. It is inevitable with you and Matt running the Offense. Remember, as great as you are, without a arm and talent like Matt throwing you all of those laser like passes none of this would be possible. You are re-living the experiences Barry had when he played, and became the focus of all that was good for fans going to a Lion’s game.

3. By rockbo1955 on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

just like jerry had montana and company ! The lions have C.J. has Stafford but C.J. is the best of all he plays hurt and has an excellent year round training program (just like rice had) and the best person in the world and yes i would love to see him 2010 to break everybody record of amount of yards against the bears and knock them off there spot in the play off! Megatron is the best ! GO LIONS!

4. By Estefan on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

Being a young Lions fan is a lot easier when we have a great player who is sticking around

5. By sm980268 on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

YOUR THE MAN! knowone can take that back from you. No receiving core support. fairly new running game Dam!! Jerry rice had a whole Pro bowl Hall of fame Supporting cast all year long, The fullback was a stud!

6. By sm980268 on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

Get the coach reset ZEN!!!!! Ask the team a question for next training camp, 1. What will you sacrifice for yourself? 2. What will your sacrifice for the DETROIT LIONS? Dig deep, Block out the world ,channel your CHI (ZEN) dam it focus a single goal. Become Nasty, Become a Total team. Hold everyone accountable , BET!

7. By Hogfish on Dec 27, 2012 | Reply

It was a pleasure watching Calvin reach this milestone and seeing his father looking on watching the moment, priceless. The times with your father are precious for every day is memorable. Pride. Spend as much time together as you can. The best to both of you.

8. By paul b. on Dec 27, 2012 | Reply

Keep up the great job CJ ! Congrat’s on all the good you do on the field and off.
    Would love to meet you sometime but i know that will not happen. My two boy’s would love it too. Just to far away for us to travel being up here in Packer county.
    Don’t let these ppl belittle all the hard work you have done here . Still would love to see a mock game with you and Berry could play on the same team at the same time. Hell a walk though even . Just to see two of the best ever together on the field would be great. Bet he still has it after all this time too . maybe alittle slower but who cares . Love Ya both. great plaers , great people. Thank YOU for being lions . After 50+ yrs i love the lions . not all that pleased with the losses but thats part of life and the game. GO TEAM .

9. By Byron Black on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Praise God for CJ and Stafford, and for Suh. A bright spot in a year of darkness. The Lions are finally coming to edge of greatness. I remember the days of the “Fearsome Foursome” and the “Mad Duck” Karras. The team is beginning to turn the culture around that we are the door mat of the league. They can say we play dirty (Chicago and the Talking Mouths of TV), so be it. It took the Pistons becoming the Bad Boys before the NBA backed up and took notice. We play fierce not dirty. Hmmm, it is strange that other teams do things and the emphasis is on the Lions. I remember that the front line of the 49′s was famous for crack back blocks. etc.
    This is about the accomplishments of two great players that will go down in history as one of the great tandems ever. And a Team that will follow by their example. GO Lions

10. By Shahnee Myers on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Happy New-Year Mr. CJ,
    I must say that my son and I are 1 of your true fans.I appreciate everything you do for our team. You are one of the sports GREATEST! I hope that the make a bronze statue of you, Herman Moore, Barry Sanders. My son dad is not in his life but he has strong black men with great support. My 12 year old is 5’10 and plays for the Detroit PAL Leage The West 7 Rams Org..I know that you attend a lot of camps for the Surburan area but it would be great to have you stop by during their 2013 season the boys would love it.A positive LION as yourself promotes winners like you- GO CJ!

11. By LYDELL on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Hey Calvin,
    First off congrads… all the way round! And, I wanted to put a bug in your ear for real consideration.
    I wanted all to know that we can replace J.Best with Dri Archer from Kent state college and add some immediate B,Sanders/J.best flavor without the concussions while complementing M.leshore as was first planned! Check him out for yourself….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6KTBV5vqk
    What do you think?