Calvin Johnson named Bobby Layne Offensive MVP

Posted by ttwentyman on January 19, 2013 – 3:44 pm

When it came time for Lions players to sit down and cast their votes for team awards, there may not have been an easier decision to make than choosing the Bobby Lane Offensive MVP.

Receiver Calvin Johnson was an absolute no brainer to be the recipient after the year he had in 2012.

Johnson produced one of the most historic seasons among receivers in NFL history, finishing with 122 receptions for an NFL record 1,964 yards and five touchdowns.

“Well, nothing that he does ceases to amaze me,” Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. “He’s always taken it up another notch every year. He’s taken it up maybe a couple this year. He’s had to pick up the slack too for some guys missing, but gladly does it. It’s so impressive what he does, but it’s more impressive the way he goes about his business and that’s what kind of sets him apart from a lot of other guys.”

Johnson’s 122.8 yards per game average was the third-most in NFL history (minimum 12 games) and his 122 receptions made him the second player in team history and just the sixth player in NFL history (eight times) to register 120 receptions in a season.

He did all that while dealing with knee, foot, finger and neck injuries throughout the course of the season, the same injuries that will keep him out of the Pro Bowl later this month.

Johnson earned his second-straight All Pro selection and is widely considered the best receiver in the game today.

The Bobby Layne Award is given in memory of quarterback Bobby Layne who sparked the Lions to three NFL Championships and four Western Division titles during the 1950s, including back-to-back world championships in 1952 and ‘53. He established virtually every career passing record, including attempts (2,193), completions (1,074), yardage (15,710), and touchdown passes (118). Layne was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967.

11 Responses to “Calvin Johnson named Bobby Layne Offensive MVP”

1. By Carol Wadsworth on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Yes calvin is most deserving of this award, glad he received it. I like him in the advertisement where he stands in his underwear, , WOW what nice legs.enough said here on that subject.

2. By Sagmich on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Congrats Calvin you deserve it!

3. By ghost on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

I am the Ghost of Bobby Layne or perhaps the Ghost of Lions Past.. It is because of him that I became addicted to the Lions on those Sunday afternoons so long ago. “The snow continues to fall here at Briggs stadium in Detriot as Bobby Layne brings them out of the huddle…” Well, I have given up on having anymore glory days but I am happy and sad for Calvin. I am sad with all his talent he will never get a ring like number 20. I have though of starting a 12 step program for addicted Lion fans but a friend told me it would take more than 12 steps.

4. By Don on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

uuuuuuuuuwwwwww The Ghost of Bobby Lane! aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Ghost you sure are a whiner and a Halve! And you knowing Bobby Lane from day’s past sounds like a big joke Man! OH- OH it is, OK.
    And Bobby Lane wouldn’t feel sorry for Calvin at all!
    Bobby Lane Probably would Have, Back in those Day’s would say All you whiner fans who don’t believe, just Leave! And he would tell Calvin and the whole TEAM not to let anything get them down not even a 4-12 Season! He would tell the Whole TEAM to get their heads out of their rear’s and play football the right way the way you should, the way that they know how, and get this thing in gear and go WIN Those Fans in Detroit A Superbowl! Calvin is deserving of the Bobby Lane Offensive MVP.
    Because Calvin did all the things that MVP’s do and that a ton of Valuable players on this TEAM can do also if they Start Playing, Practicing, believing,Talking, Visioning,Having Faith,Believing in themselves!Playing when hurt ( Not if it is something so bad that you shouldn’t) and doing ALL the things that Champions do to be Champions!
    I Don’t know what Happened this year? However I believe that this was Not the Coach’s Fault. Any of the Coach’s, But I don’t know that for sure.
    This TEAM, And I’m talking about EVERY player on it has to Keep it in Mind to Keep this TEAM A TEAM!
    For this Year the Players let GO of that Fact!
    And I am not saying that I know everything about Football, do what I say ( Even though I do believe that I know a lot!) LOL (: Any way’s the one thing that I do know is that if this TEAM isn’t together on this WHOLE thing then it won’t work!
    And Man I,we, Fan’s really want it to work.
    And with the Majority of players that this TEAM has Put together I for one Believe that it Can work!
    Mayhew AND Schwartz have put together a great group of players and yes there still is Need for a few more to enter the mix or TEAM but they will get them!
    I just hope that the Nucleus of the TEAM that is here can stay together and make it Happen! To be a Championship TEAM for Many Many years!
    I Totally Believe in our QB Matt Stafford and I know that Most of the players on this Team know that Stafford can take them All the way! ALL he Needs is A great TEAM behind him! And he has one, When you guy’s STAY a TEAM!
    OK, way Nuff Said!
    I love this TEAM!
    GO LIONS!
    Ghost?

5. By Don on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

OH, CALVIN Man, Congrats on all of it!
    MVP!

6. By Adam on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

What are your guys thoughts on Bacarri Rambo? Apparently he is one of the best safeties in the draft, but has had one or two marijuana incidents in the past. I don’t want a character issue guy, but he is projected for the third round, and could be a steal, as long as his problems are behind him and the coaches and players keep him in check.

7. By ghost on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

Gee Don, you sure opened my eyes. NOT. You young whipper snapper, when you have suffered disappointment and humiliation for 50 year then you can talk. What a Polly Anna.

8. By jordan philippe on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

I would love to meet Calvin Johnson.

9. By Dave "Waz" on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Don, I don’t know how you came to your conclusions that this is a great team. You obviously have no clue as to what a good cover guy has to do. You certainly don’t know what a good linebacker has to do either. How many times this past season have you heard the names of Levy, Durant, or any of our secondary guys (exception Houston and Delmas when he’s healthy) mentioned as making a great play compared to the likes of Urlacher, Lewis, Suggs for example?. They are great because they are in almost every play. I don’t think I heard Levy’s name mentioned more than 4 times all year let alone in one game. YOU don’t know what greatness is or how to define it. You are certainly in no postion to comment on what Bobby Layne might have done or said. I, like “the Ghost”, have watched many good Lion’s teams and many bad ones over the years and I can recognize great players and teams. Layne throwing to Tracy was a great tandem. We have that today with Johnson and Stafford. We’ve had the likes of Lem Barney, Dick “night train” Lane, Yale Lary, Dick LaBeau in the secondary complemented with the likes of Joe Schmidt, Wayne Walker, Alex Karras, Jim Brown, Daris McCord and on and on. The only names that are currently destined for Lions folklore are Suh and Fairley, maybe??? That’s only if the coaching improves. This coaching staff is predictable and conservative. Schwartz is immature as demonstrated last year with his tempermental outburst at Harbaugh and this year the flag incident on Thanksgiving costing us the game. Great coaching inspires and brings out the best in the players. Mayhew has done a good job, not a great one. This year we need to draft for our immediate needs and NOT the best player available unless he is destined to be traded for a specific need. The Lions have a history of bad draft picks and trades. Yes! We even traded Layne and Tracy to Pittsburgh where they helped win championships. Roger Brown got traded to the Rams where he became part of another “fearsome foursome”. The 90’s were a good but not great time. We had Moore and Sanders but could not win with Mitchell and Batch as QB’s. We wern’t complete. Thusly we wern’t great. You mention the “team” concept which we all would agree with. But selfish players like Titus Young aren’t into it. Don, you have a First Ammendment right to express your opinion as does The Ghost and I. But I’m not buying what your selling!

10. By Dave "Waz" on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Amending a typo above: I said JIM Brown instead of ROGER Brown in a sentance and, of course, said Roger in a following statement. A member of what was THE greatest defensive line in Lions history (arguably NFL history) know as the (original) “fearsome foursome”.

11. By ghost on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

RE Adam’s question; I don’t think marijuana is a huge problem. I don’t think (based on what I have heard) that it is addictive or a gateway drug. People that have addictive personalities are going to get hooked on hard stuff regardless of drinking beer or smoking mary jane. (I’ve heard it called that) These kids have to be counselled on using it in a mature way, that is in the off season and only at home. Its not unlike drinking, you do it at home and you don’t drive and you don’t get in a car driven by someone drinking or smoking a joint. If you are going to be a grown up, be one and make decisions. I know a guy that smoked at home but before hand got out a big plate of vegies so when the munchies hit he would have something other than twinkies to wolf down. (That’s what I heard he did anyway).