Posted by ttwentyman on January 23, 2013 – 7:21 pm

Detroit Lions receiver Titus Young made his feelings known via his verified Twitter account over the last two days about his dismissal from the team and how he wants to see the ball more.

Young tweeted: “Like I said I never been selfish but if I’m not going to get the football i don’t want to play anymore”

He also said: “To Be the best you gotta Beat the best #Me”

He seemed to be antagonizing Detroit fans in a couple other tweets, asking how the weather was in Detroit on Wednesday. Young lives in California in the offseason.

Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Wednesday down at the Senior Bowl that he’s never met an offensive player that doesn’t want the ball, but there are better ways to go about asking for it.

“There are good ways to go about getting that and not so good ways about trying to get that done. This is a pretty good example on a not-so-good way,” he said of Young’s Twitter rant.

Schwartz admitted he hasn’t spent much time reading Young’s recent tweets, which also included a denial of running incorrect routes. He said he was disappointed with his tweets given his status with the team.

“It is what it is,” Schwartz said. “We obviously still have some ground to cover there.

“You wear your uniform 24 hours a day and social media is a part of that now. You’re responsible for everything you say.”

SUH THE DIVER

Schwartz was also asked about Pro Bowl defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh participating on the television show “Celebrity Diving.”

“I don’t really see this as being (an issue),” he said. “It’s not like celebrity skydiving. Even like ice skating or something like that where you sit there and say somebody could break their wrist or fall down, I think we’re probably pretty safe to say there’s not a high rate of injury on celebrity diving.”

Schwartz joked that he caught a snippet of the show once and it looked pretty tame.

“I did take a couple physics courses, but there’s something about displacement of water, but it has to do with like mass and density and Ndamukong Suh’s going to displace some,” Schwartz joked. “There’ll be a tsunami somewhere. That should be probably more Celebrity Cannonballing.”

WASHBURN TO COACH DEFENSIVE LINE

Schwartz also commented for the first time on the hiring of veteran defensive line coach Jim Washburn.

He said Washburn will coach the defensive line alongside Kris Kocurek.

“We’re going to double team our defensive line,” Schwartz said. “And he’s going to work hand-in-hand with Kris Kocurek. Our defensive line is very important to us and we’re happy with Kris but this was a chance to be able to get a coach I’ve worked with and everyone on our defense has a relationship with.”

14 Responses to “Jim Schwartz talks Titus Young, Ndamukong Suh and Jim Washburn down at Senior Bowl”

1. By JP O'Flaherty on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I believe Titus Young has more than adequately demonstrated his personality and his aptitude in regard to being a team player. It is truly unfortunate, especially considering he has such a great example of a team player in CJ. Also, in regard to being #1, if he meant that he felt he was even remotely comparable to CJ or even Ryan Broyles, he better grow up and face facts. I’d say the Lions cut their losses and drop the problem CHILD with some other team who NEEDS a mediocre WR who has personality problems. I’d like to see the Lions pick up either that Center/Guard from Alabama in the First Round or Braxton cave from Notre Dame for Center in a later round.

2. By Zach Whitehead on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

It seems as if Titus Young is hell-bent on being cut from this team, and with all honesty, I say we give the child what they want in order to stop the temper tantrum. Best of luck to Ndamukong Suh in the Pro Bowl and this celebrity diving show, and I speak for all Detroit Lions fans when I say thank you for keeping your cool and playing your heart out this season. I am not a fan of the addition of Washburn to the coaching staff. The “wide nine” defensive line scheme simply does not work. It may rack up an additional sack or two, but the rush defense suffers mightily. Anyone who was able to watch the Eagles play over the past two years witnessed that. As for the draft, Damontre Moore would be my selection with the fifth overall pick. Like it or not, there is no cornerback worthy of being taken that high in this year’s class, including Dee Milliner.

3. By horaceholloway on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I’m in agreement. cut him and run!

4. By Bill mason on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Can’t believe that Titus Young is still shooting his mouth off. I thought when his parents got involved in a meeting with Jim Schwartz that he would wise up. lions don’t need anymore problems, have Mayhew make a deal for him if anyone wants him??

5. By Anthony Miller on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I sure hope coach makes the right decision on this and cut or trade his ass!! With coach though this year seem like he was in a funk or something!! I mean we have two coaches in the super bowl that had to make tough decisions this year and it paid off!! Our coach can’t even bench the damn KR/PR let alone fire our OC/or DC!! I do however like the coaching moves that he did make atleast recognizing that we need more out of our d-line and our lack of diverse play calling in the run gm!!! Titus Young is asking to get kicked off the team right now just get rid of any cancers as he clearly is that!! Just take your blinders off coach and start seeing some of these guys for who they are!!! Raiola, burleson, Vanden Bosche and Avril need to take pay cuts or flat out GOODBYE!!! This is the NFL and that stands for NOT FOR LONG except if u are with the Detroit Lions!!

6. By wolvie on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Good post. Young is a big mouth that can’t back up his words with talent. Hopefully the Lions have figured out that you won’t go anywhere in the N.F.L. without real talent on the Oline. Not re-treads, cast-offs, and low draft picks.

7. By Jerry on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

To Titus Young STFU!!!!!!! you MORON!!!!!!
    You have or had a chance to make things right with the team but you keep on shooting your mouth off more like a street punk than and NFL starting receiver. The only thing you are the best at is making yourself look like a complete ASS!

Lions…PLEASE TRADE THIS GUY for a ball bag or a tackling dummy or something useful.

8. By Jerry on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

To Titus Young;
    STFU!!!!!!! you MORON!!!!!!
    You have or had a chance to make things right with the team but you keep on shooting your mouth off more like a street punk than an NFL starting receiver. The only thing you are the best at is making yourself look like a complete ASS!

9. By Raymond on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

T young has for sure made it clear he wants out of det.someone work a deal lets move on. T young doesn’t fit for the organization at this time.any trade for a draft choice will work .t young will need his own private social worker along with dailey meds.

10. By Eric on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I hope Young goes to another team, crys about not being their #1 WR because he’s not as good as many, many, many, many other WRs, and then quits and leaves the NFL for good. There is no place in the NFL for people like this immature douche nozzle. The NFL is a professional institution, and Titus Young is so far from being a professional that it’s ridiculous. He obviously wants to go, so let him go. We could sign Tim Tebow and use him like the Jets did and he’d still be more useful that Titus Young was. And don’t be scared that he’ll go somewhere else and do really well. That just won’t happen. Sure, he has talent, but his thuggish, immature, girly attitude won’t allow him to get much better…so I’m 100% positive that he will fail anywhere that he goes. Hell, sign me! I may have a 5.1 40 yard dash, but at least I’ll run the correct routes…lol

11. By Aron on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I’ll ask (rhetorically) and answer this question – can the Lions get anything for Titus? I say it depends on how desperate a team is for a WR. Most teams won’t even pick him up if he’s cut. But there are some teams that need a WR pretty badly, and they may give up a late round pick, or swap 2nd or 3rd round picks, to get him before another team does. It all depends on how many teams are interested… and I can only think of a few at the moment.

12. By Dave on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

To make a winning team you need some basic things.
    1.Discipline- important for doing things right every time.
    2. Team- working together toward the same goals, having each others back.
    3. Goals- where do we want to be and how are we going to get there.
    Any player that doesn’t buy into that should be gone. This team has the ability to raise to the top, and there is allways someone out there ready to step up to the plate if a player thinks he is above the rest.

13. By The Man on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I think I’ll stick with Jim Schwartz comments over the over emotional fans. I think ppl get wrapped up into thinking that they know everything just because their good buddy at the gas station agrees with them. Schwartz is much smarter than any person in this forum. I’m pretty confident that the Lions are going to turn it around. It’s not just the injuries that he’s had to deal with but some pretty bad luck as well.

14. By Mickey on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

I would never release him talking this kind of smack. I would put him on the practice squad and make him drop the blakmail routine, play football or rot! What a trip he is! He may have to hire someone to carry his ego!!