Teammates react to release of veteran DE Kyle Vanden Bosch

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on February 5, 2013 – 5:24 pm

Kyle Vanden BoschAs Tim Twentyman said in his story announcing the release of Kyle Vanden Bosch, Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz was waiting for the veteran defensive end at the moment the proverbial gong went off signaling the start of 2010 free agency.

Vanden Bosch made an immediate impact on and off the field, starting 43 total games for the franchise and accruing 15.5 sacks and six forced fumbles in three seasons.

His best year with the Lions was the team’s playoff season in 2011 when he finished with 8.0 sacks and four forced fumbles.

Vanden Bosch’s teammates reacted to the transaction on Twitter:

DE Cliff Avril (@cliffavril): “Heard they just release the one guy that took me under his wing, a great teammate, a great person, my brother KVB…”

LB Stephen Tulloch (@stephentulloch): “I’ve had the honor to have played with Kyle Vanden Bosch for 6 years.He’s a true workhorse.KVB is the example of what being Pro is all about”

DT Sammie Hill (@sammoi91): “They jus let go the heart and soul of the best dline in NFL, been a honor and privilege to play with the greatest leader in my career.”

DT Andre Fluellen (@afluellen96): “Kvb is the best pro I’ve ever been around.”

20 Responses to “Teammates react to release of veteran DE Kyle Vanden Bosch”

1. By Ryan on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

A goddamn shame…..

2. By Soph on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

It is a business and fans are the first to ridicule players like KVB. He is not Aldon Smith, but no one can criticize his work ethic and how he carries himself and how he contributed to the team. Great person. Good luck to your future. Best wishes.

3. By deadheadhoodie on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

He was getting up there … should be a d-line coach…. Don’t worry Avril your going to be out the door right behind him…

4. By dmick on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

Since he has such a positive influence on his teammates, I hope the Lions would consider putting him on their coaching staff. Perhaps he needs a break from football but it sounds like he is a fearsome competitor and would be a total asset for the Lions organization.

5. By D_Lions248 on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

Only if we can’t get the deal done its not because there cuttin avril. He leads our team in sacks and that will be a big blow to the lions D

6. By rockbo1955 on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

this one of the hard things you have to do to get a young and strong O_LINE to move forward and upward!

7. By Scott T on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

A strong O_LINE?? Are you serious rockbo1955?? Please tell me that was a type-o and that you know that KVB played on the D line… *sigh* This was a good move for both cap reasons and his production on the field. He would probably make a great d-line coach but does not have the skills to play any longer except for maybe a part-time rotational role and I do not know if he could stomach that. He was definitely a pick me up when we needed it though and for that I have nothing but respect for the guy. I am most happy to see that they @ least seem to be taking 4-12 seriously.

8. By Anthony Miller on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

I like KVB alot but it is time to move on we need a dynamic pass rusher to go along with suh and fairley. The NFL stands for Not For Long as Jerry Glanville once said and we cant pay players that kinda $ if your not up to that standard!! The Steelers are not leaning towards not signing back Wallace those are the teams that go to the playoffs and Super Bowls and win championships!!! U see the two teams that had coaches with a sense of urgency are the two who went to the Super Bowl!!! Its 16 of em and a short postseason. U have to as a head coach be able to make tough decisions on the fly and go with your gut and not your heart!!! It was troubling to me to hear Schwartz say that its hard to make changes during the course of a season!!! WTF!!! If u need to make a change u make it not wait until the last F….. week of the season to make a change with a position of KR/PR!!! REALLY!! C’mon coach!! Now lets continue with the tough but necessary changes to git us back to the playoffs!!! GO LIONS!!!!

9. By Black Wolf Standing on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

@KVB: You’ll always be the best player the Lions had both on and off the field. I’ve respected everything you have accomplished and wished you could be here for Detroit’s push to the Superbowl.

@Detroit’s Front office: Are you insane? Are you just trying to punish us Detroit fans for your own incompetence? Today is a sad day in Detroit Lion’s history. Where character matters, you have just released the guy with the most character on your team. I pray you haven’t just destroyed this team for next year.

10. By Matthew Conley on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Though it maybe tough to see some guys go. I believe that KVB did the job that he was brought in to do. I think he was brought in more for his off field leadership then what he did on the field. With alot of young players on the D Line they needed a vet to teach them what and how they needed to do to prepare for the NFL game. Although KVB may not be with the team any longer I’m sure that the benifits will be felt for years to come.

11. By Raymond on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Kvb was a positive link as a teammate he will be missed. Keep moving forward build that def.

12. By nighttrain1 on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Peterman I understand, but KVD, the Lions management must already have somebody in mind they’re going to replace him with.

13. By Brandon on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

It’s good to see his teammates offering support, however his play is heavily on the decline. He got a rest day each week, which was helping a hamstring issue along with age. He’s a cap casualty, and Burleson may be one as well.

Leaders are invaluable, until a value is established. The Lions have a cap issue, and this is a way to fix that issue. There is a boy named Suh who really needs to step into a leadership role. I think this will be one step closer to the Lions drafting a DE in April. Ronnell Lewis and Willie Young will be heavily on rotation at one end, and that leaves the other open.

14. By LionHeart on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

KVB was awesome. Glad Detroit got to have him for a few years. I think he showed his teammates what a professional football player is supposed to be. Sad to see him go, but next man up.

15. By lionmike on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Was great to have him. Wish him the best in the future and hope to see him involved with the Lions in some aspect, maybe coaching.

Glad to see Peterman go. Hope Dom is next.

Avril may be next. PFF rated Avril as one of the worst DE’s in the league due to his poor run defense. Willie Young played about 25% of the plays, but had nearly double the QB pressure rate.

16. By eddie Hiller on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you guys maybe they will call him back in and talk about adjusting his contract

17. By Chucky D on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Oh Boo Hoo, get the Kleenex out! It’s a friggin’ business. KVB is no longer an effective player. Games are won and lost by guys making plays.
    His play declined and he is overpaid for his lack of productivity.
    This is a business people. The Lion’s ,for TOO LONG, have held onto declining players for sentimental reasons. (Jason Hanson for instance) I’m Glad they brought in Brian Xander for personnel decisions beauase he has no emotional ties to any players on this team.
    Hopefully he has the sack to do what needs to be done and and leave his heart out of it.
    ATTN: Riloal, Handon, Burelson, Backus, Avril and Levy.. Notice has been served.

18. By Charles on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Why would they cut him before Logan? For that matter, why Young before Logan? Didn’t Logan make more mistakes than Young and KVB combined? I sure hope they make some solid decisions this off season, I’m getting tired of seeing wasted talent not make it to the big game. Sanders, Stafford, Johnson, Suh, Avril, Best, … so on so forth.

19. By ElReyDeLeon on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

Wait one dayum minute? Are you telling me that Logan is STILL on the team?!?!

20. By matthew on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

You haft to ask why young before anyone!